Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Anglo-saxons are also a germanic tribe.
    As are the Franks, who make up a large part of modern day France, along with their Gallic brothers, etc.

So everybody who lives in or has ancestors who have ever lived in the region of "Greater Germany" (which is about half of Europe, by the way) is German? If you care about ethnicity, then most of southern Germany/Austria is inhabited by people of at least partially Italian descent.

Yeah, I guess if you throw all of those people into the mix, then seeing as how you've included most of the industrialised world you'll end up with more than your share of genius.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

As are the Franks, who make up a large part of modern day France, along with their Gallic brothers, etc.

So everybody who lives in or has ancestors who have ever lived in the region of "Greater Germany" (which is about half of Europe, by the way) is German? If you care about ethnicity, then most of southern Germany/Austria is inhabited by people of at least partially Italian descent.

Yeah, I guess if you throw all of those people into the mix, then seeing as how you've included most of the industrialised world you'll end up with more than your share of genius.
      Seems like a safe way to minimize the number of pissed off people!

Everybody's German!
      What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
        *shocking admission*

I don't think bach and beethoven were all that great.

art is a matter of opinion. I'm sure you can find 3 billion people in this world who don't think that much of german "art"
        That's because they have very little understanding of how complex some of the classical music from that period is. As much as I like a lot of the folk music from different regions and periods, you simply can't compare Bach with Celtic fiddling, Asian Pentatonics or traditional African music. They might have just as much artistic value, but they certainly aren't as great accomplishments in terms of musical development, just as Renaissance painting is technically superior to Minoan art.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Bah. Everyone knows the Irish saved Western Civilization....
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

didn't the US almost vote to use german as the official language at one point? IIRC, it was a pretty close vote...

Comment

That claim has been brought up and debunked multiple times in the last few months, H Tower.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That claim has been brought up and debunked multiple times in the last few months, H Tower.
                my bad. i said i wasn't sure, so gimme a break

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny

With the benefit of hindsight, do you think your choice of thread title was the stupidest thing you've done since you caught your scrotum in the mangle?
                  Goddam, it's good to have you back.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

So Hitler was right when he said that aryan people were superior, in a way that they have had some clever and creative people?
                    But Hitler was wrong when he said that Jews were inferior?
                    And you don't mean that anyone is any better than anyone else.

you just want to say: I like bach & beethoven...

Maybe that shoud have been your thread title then? Wouldn't have had the same funny result though.

By the way: I like Bach and Beethoven too, even though they're stinking Germans.
                    Well, lets just imagine my question is not hypothetical then...
                    -
                    My God, I'm thirty, I need a drink - english textbook spelling error

Comment

Pah, the Germans come in a poor third to the Jutes and the Carthaginians IMO.

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                      I'm inclined to kill this on general principle, but the replies have been somewhat entertaining.
                      Which principal?
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

In general I frown upon claiming that one group of people is "superior" to any other group, especially with any concept as highly charged as race.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In general I frown upon claiming that one group of people is "superior" to any other group, especially with any concept as highly charged as race.
                          frown upon? Lemme find that link to the Civ3 thread where you called that guy a pigf*cker...
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

And he deserved it eminently.

At least Andy's being polite, so I've chosen to be too.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Comment

The Germans are inferior to me.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X