No announcement yet.

Want to live forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only with some specific concessions. would i age? how injured could i be and still remain alive? how well would i heal? could i hibernate for years at a time if i got bored? i think i could handle it if it were along the lines of anne rice's vampire chronicles ... just without all the blood drinking ;oP

but i voted no. careful what you ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
      If people lived forever you could probably invent some really cool sports and pastimes that took forever to play.
      Not being particularly spiritual, the English invented cricket to gain perspective on the meaning of eternity.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeones
        only with some specific concessions
        None, your existence could be anything - immortality, re-incarnation, afterlife, reliving your own life (groundhog day style )....

The question is more about existing than living.

Comment

Even eternity with someone you could share it with would get tedious.

What good is eternal life without eternal youth?

Why would anyone want to live past the death of the universe/galaxy/solar system?

However, the physical limitations of the brain would mean that at some point, you'd have to start forgetting stuff to remember new stuff.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Even eternity with someone you could share it with would get tedious.

What good is eternal life without eternal youth?

Why would anyone want to live past the death of the universe/galaxy/solar system?

However, the physical limitations of the brain would mean that at some point, you'd have to start forgetting stuff to remember new stuff.
            Well of course we'd have eternal youth. I would like this clinical immortality where I would be the age I am or a bit younger forever, would be far better. With this kind of immortality, you wouldn't outlive the universe or anything. I am talking about technologically possible immortality.

The brain thing. Well the brain is organised funny so it doesn't fill up like a hard drive but just forms more neural connections, obviously there would be a limit eventually, but perhaps technological means could circumvent this. Like conversion of the brain into an electronic format that could expand without the constraints of the skull. This would seem to eliminate you of form or perception, but perhaps with the right connection give you greater senses and abilities than you ever could before!
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              I read (don't remember where, long time ago) somewhere that our brain just uses about 10% of its capacities in a regular lifetime! So we are kind of prepared for a really longer life than our usual 70/80/90/100 years! Of course, there will be a limit, but I'm not really worried, because our brain is capable to store around 1000 years of info, if it doesn't get any disease (drugs, depressions, strokes, etc). And of course, that phenomenon called "going old" must stop too.
              Don't forget that scientists just can't figure out why in the world our body just doesn't replace old cells with new ones at a faster rate than they die when a person reaches a certain age...
              "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
              Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
              Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
              Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot

I read (don't remember where, long time ago) somewhere that our brain just uses about 10% of its capacities in a regular lifetime! So we are kind of prepared for a really longer life than our usual 70/80/90/100 years! Of course, there will be a limit, but I'm not really worried, because our brain is capable to store around 1000 years of info, if it doesn't get any disease (drugs, depressions, strokes, etc). And of course, that phenomenon called "going old" must stop too.
                Don't forget that scientists just can't figure out why in the world our body just doesn't replace old cells with new ones at a faster rate than they die when a person reaches a certain age...
                Well that isn't strictly true either. I have heard this 10% bandied around often, like a 10% full hard drive, but the brain just doesn't work like that. It consists of circuits and neural connections that are formed with new memories and skills learned. It's usage cannot be really quantified.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  Well that isn't strictly true either. I have heard this 10% bandied around often, like a 10% full hard drive, but the brain just doesn't work like that. It consists of circuits and neural connections that are formed with new memories and skills learned. It's usage cannot be really quantified.
                  Hey, of course we can't count a neuron as a byte, but you can have an idea! Otherwise, how could you know what's the wheight of Earth, or how many water does our planet have! It's kind like this.
                  "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                  Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                  Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                  Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

It's amazing how few couples survive 10 years, let alone 100 years or a 1000 years. LOL, what would you call the 1000th anniversary? Californium wedding anniversary?

Marriage Day 1: "Never has such a flower in my life given me such happiness. I love you forever, sweetie."

Marriage Day 366: "If that ****ing ***** tells me to take the trash out while I'm watching the game one more time, I'm sleeping with the cleaning lady!!!"
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

living forever scares me just as much as ceasing to exist... maybe slightly less, if i had an infinite number of things to enjoy then it wouldn't be too bad.... then again the arguement can be made that i've already died and this is all in my head to try to amuse myself for eternity
                      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot
                        I read (don't remember where, long time ago) somewhere that our brain just uses about 10% of its capacities in a regular lifetime!
                        Actually, that's incorrect. We don't use more than 10% of our brain at any given time. We do however, use all of our brain. If we were ever to fire all of your neurons at once . . . well, you've seen a grand mal epiliptic seizure. It would look something like that. You don't wanna do that.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Wah if there is an infinite universe that there is infinite things to do... but....

this earth life is too screwy to be lived forever...

if i lived forever i would move out.. i dunno but for the start to an island that had no people on it so I can plan what to do... man that's cool....

And than ... back to rule :P
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I recently read that
                            aging = cancer control

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I read that stopping ageing is equal to

"beam me up Scottie"
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                                I read that stopping ageing is equal to

"beam me up Scottie"
                                Teleporters already exist. They are currently confined to subatomic particles, although I think they have acheived success with a few hydrogen atoms.
                                Last edited by Dauphin; January 9, 2002, 15:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X