Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should homosexuals/bisexuals be allowed in the military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should homosexuals/bisexuals be allowed in the military?

I used to (a loooong time ago) think differently on this subject. Since leaving religion, and ESPECIALLY since actually joining the military myself, i've come to think quite differently. I have a feeling I know what the general consensus here will be, but I'd like a poll anyway. . . so here it is.
    Yes
    63.16%
    Don't Ask, Don't Tell
    26.32%
    No
    10.53%
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

no absolutely not.

It has nothing to do with religon. Is has everything to do with conduct......

If your gay, you can be in the armed services. Its called "Dont ask Dont tell"....Its works extremely well.

Comment

Like i said, i'm in the service myself. Personally, at this time, i know VERY FEW people that care. Several of my friends are gay. None of them are openly gay exactly, but a few of them don't try to hide it too well. And nobody cares. Most people know who's gay, and who's not, and nobody cares. They have talked with the drill sergeants about it (in my old company, where we still had drill sergeants) they have talked with my current XO about it, etc. NOBODY cares. It doesn't affect anyones morale, it doesn't affect the mission, it doesn't affect ANYTHING.

The only thing the don't ask don't tell policy affects is the morale of the people that ARE gay. they are constantly paranoid, constantly worried, that somebody high up who's anal about the rules WILL find out. the whole idea of "well you just keep your dirty little secrets to yourself" causes alot of emotional problems to people when your on the other side of the fence.

sexuality is not something ANYONE should parade, blah blah, but they should be just as comfortable being themselves as any straight person is.
      -connorkimbro
      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Actually the majority doesnt want the Dont ask dont tell to go away.

NOBODY cares. It doesn't affect anyones morale, it doesn't affect the mission, it doesn't affect ANYTHING.
        ...It doesnt. Last I checked people who admit this are beatin up because they are checking out other men. That does effect moral.

sexuality is not something ANYONE should parade, blah blah, but they should be just as comfortable being themselves as any straight person is.
        Agreed......they should feel comfortable for themselves. but its for there own protection to keep queit about it if your in the services. I think the unofficial number is about 10,000 have been dishonarbly dis-charged. So the number is farely low.

Comment

If your gay, you can be in the armed services. Its called "Dont ask Dont tell"....Its works extremely well.

Not exactly. It's a double standard. I can tell whoever i wan't that i'm straight, but they can't be honest about themselves and tell people that they're gay?

Second, any "gay" acts are illegal under of course most civil laws, but also under UCMJ laws.

edit: to respond to your last post.

Perhaps the base i'm at is different from every other base there is, but here, people DON'T CARE. Just about everybody know's who's gay, and nobody does a damn thing. The people that beat others up for being gay is in the extreme minority, and they should of course be punished along with anyone else that beats people up, fined, rank reduced, etc.

You may say, don't ask don't tell is for protection, but why? If you're gay, it WOULD BE, your choice of whether to tell or not. If you felt threatened, you wouldn't have to tell if you didn't want to. But right now, their freedoms are LIMITED.
          -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
            but its for there own protection to keep queit about it...
            A typical bull**** line used to defend racism, sexism, or any other kind of discrimination.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Another point to add (slightly different)

You may not realize it, but the don't ask don't tell policy actually ENCOURAGES gay people to join the army. Why? Because they know that if they don't like it, they have a free ticket out. There's not that idea of "oh, if i don't like it, i'll be STUCK in the army for x number of years!"
              -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

A typical bull**** line used to defend racism, sexism, or any other kind of discrimination.

I agree, but don't you think it more effective to back up your points with logical arguments, rather than be offensive?
                -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

[Alert] Osweld Flings emotional/political dung [alert/]

Ok Ozzy my boy

Lets have them openly admit they are gay so they can have the sh!t beat out of them and then be court martialed for starting the fight

Comment

Lets have them openly admit they are gay so they can have the sh!t beat out of them and then be court martialed for starting the fight

It wouldn't happen that way. Like i said, it would only give them the FREEDOM to be themselves. If they felt threatened, they could still hide it if they chose to. Second, nobody would get courtmarshaled for getting beat up. geez
                    -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro I agree, but don't you think it more effective to back up your points with logical arguments, rather than be offensive?

Originally posted by faded glory
                      How about we punish the discriminators instead of the discriminated?

That line has been used to defend every single kind of bigotry that has ever existed.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Listen, would you please go away? You're on MY side, but you're arguing HORRIBLY, and you're making my side look bad. At least READ what people write. It seems you didn't even read what I wrote.
                        -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

No conner.......dont believe me? Check out some stories of people who have been on the receiving end of Discharges because they admited they were gay.

How about we punish the discriminators instead of the discriminated
                          Good luck. What are your suggestions? The President cannot meddle in internal Military affairs for political reasons.

Mr.Clinton tried this.

Comment

quote:
                            If you admit that you like blondes to redheads and I beat you up, will you get courtmartialed?

Saying you're gay, that you like blondes, that you're a legman or whatever is just saying a fact. The person that acts on that fact and carries out the assualt is the one that deserves to get punished. They started the fight by violently reacting to a harmless bit of information.
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro

Listen, would you please go away? You're on MY side, but you're arguing HORRIBLY, and you're making my side look bad. At least READ what people write. It seems you didn't even read what I wrote.
                              I was replying to both of you at the same time. You wanted some logic behind my previous statement which is what I gave you.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be offensive. That line is complete bull****, I'm surprised that I even need to explain why.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X