Infatuation Considers Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good findings Urban.

I agree in many cases, the missionaries condemn people to hell! If they had never known about the "Good News," and still were good people, they would be saved. But noooo the missionaries teach them about the "choice" and therefore NOW they have to make it or go to hell. That's BS.

So say some guy spends his life raping children, killing people, and eating their bodies. Just at the last second before they send him to the chair, he takes an oath to Christ. He's saved.

Another guy spends his life in servitude of others. He is the most unselfish person on earth. Others are fed and clothed and are saved from death because of this man. He is taught the "choice" but doesn't make the conversion. HE goes to hell.

All sins are equal my ass.

God is love, not FEAR.

Would you guys be Christians if it weren't for the fear of eternal damnation? I doubt it.

It's a great selling point though. Even if it makes no sense.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker
      Good findings Urban.

I agree in many cases, the missionaries condemn people to hell! If they had never known about the "Good News," and still were good people, they would be saved. But noooo the missionaries teach them about the "choice" and therefore NOW they have to make it or go to hell. That's BS.
      No, not by his works, by his heart. How to explain? Ok. The way it was explained to me was that if a person realizes that 1)S/he doesn't live up to God's (the gods/the goddess, etc) expectations, and 2)That they can't do that without the help of their deity, and 3)Has faith that they are justified by the Deity's mercy (as opposed to their own efforts), then they will be saved even if they never heard of Jesus Christ.

So say some guy spends his life raping children, killing people, and eating their bodies. Just at the last second before they send him to the chair, he takes an oath to Christ. He's saved.
      Not exactly. Anyone can say, "Oh, I repent. I'll be good from now on." Witness all the atrocities committed in the name of Christ. If those people had truly repented, they would not have done the things they did. Do you honestly believe Torquemada is going to heaven?

It's not enough that a person just says "I'm sorry." They need to repent. They need to look at the things that they did and recognize that they were in fact sins, and that they deserve the wrath of God for them. Then they need to make a sincere committment to no longer do those things, and make an effort to obey the laws of God.

The rapist in your example wouldn't be going to heaven if all he said was, "Oh, sorry, didn't mean it," and yet still hadn't repented of his deeds. The "I'm sorry" would have been just words, and meaningless. He'd still be judged by God and sent to the lake of fire.

On the other hand, if that rapist looked at the things he had done, realized that what he had done was sinful, and agreed that he did in fact deserve God's wrath, and sincerely repented, yes, he would still go to heaven.

Another guy spends his life in servitude of others. He is the most unselfish person on earth. Others are fed and clothed and are saved from death because of this man. He is taught the "choice" but doesn't make the conversion. HE goes to hell.
      Again, where is his heart? Theoretically, if he's doing them because of a dependence on his Deity's mercy (ie, read paragraph one-I don't want this to be an insanely long post), he likely would receive the message of Christ and except it. Note, that's theoretically. If he's doing the deeds because he believes he's a good person, and that they bring him honor, then he won't receive the message.

In Christianity, God looks at the heart, and at the intent behind the deeds, not the deeds themselves.

Would you guys be Christians if it weren't for the fear of eternal damnation? I doubt it.

It's a great selling point though. Even if it makes no sense.
      Honestly? I was. I will admit becoming a Christian out of fear of eternal damnation. Then again, I wasn't exactly being a good person anyway, so I was likely going to be damned regardless of whether I heard the message or not. Once in, however, I didn't fear God-I didn't need to. I believed God had granted me mercy, and that it was now up to me to live my life the best I could. I knew that if I screwed up, God would still forgive me so long as I was sincerely making the attempt to live by God's laws.

I stopped being a Christian simply because I couldn't see a loving *human* parent ever being so angry with his children that he wouldn't speak to them except through an intermediary, let alone a perfect God. I stopped being a Christian before I stopped being a theist. It appeared to me that if something had created the universe, it was no longer taking an active interest in it's creation, and so likely didn't want worship, let alone deserve it.

I still agree with the basic message of Christianity, and try to live by most of it's principles (those that make sense). I do my best to love my neighbor and help those who cannot help themselves. Beyond that, there isn't much I believe is necessary.

Marc

Comment

• Originally posted by tmarcl
        No, not by his works, by his heart. How to explain? Ok. The way it was explained to me was that if a person realizes that 1)S/he doesn't live up to God's (the gods/the goddess, etc) expectations, and 2)That they can't do that without the help of their deity, and 3)Has faith that they are justified by the Deity's mercy (as opposed to their own efforts), then they will be saved even if they never heard of Jesus Christ.
        Hm.

Two points:

1. If that's the case why didn't/don't missionaries leave these people alone?

2. What if that person's deity is supposedly expecting something very differently from their followers? For example, this deity expects his followers to be self-reliant?

It seems though that the Christians have departed en masse.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Seriously...it doesn't seem all that bad. Praying does me good sometimes, it's good for a player to be Christian. I think God likes players, but I have lots to learn, A player never stops learning.
          you're losing credibility fast stew. first the pro-US stuff, now you want to become a christian. ahem
          Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

• "it's good for a player to be Christian. I think God likes players,"

Boy, now you're sounding like Rasputin!!! The real one. . .
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

• Mark L: Is that loss in his credibility a result of his starting to be pro-Christian/pro-American, or is it a result of his changing his views so fast and so dramatically?
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

• Originally posted by Chowlett
                Ok, here, at least in my belief, is how it works...

We have all sinned. I don't care how good someone has been, they have still sinned, just a tiny little bit, somewhere in their life. God, and by extension his domain of heaven, is perfect. He cannot abide imperfection to be with him, and therefore the tiniest bit of sin prevents us being with him. In sinning, we have effectively chosen not to be with God, it is our choice.
                What makes you think that we instantly become perfect and live with God after this life? I believe perfection takes a very long time to attain and that this life is just the beginning. We have a lot to learn before we reach perfection.
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Hm.

Two points:

1. If that's the case why didn't/don't missionaries leave these people alone?
                  I'm going to make a wild assumption and say that 'Because the bible says so' isn't going to fly here. Most missionary groups these days don't use the old method of going into the wilderness and telling the savages that they're screwed unless they convert (probably because they realized the same thing you did-if these 'savages' are living the way God wants, there's no reason to warn them). Today, most missionary groups (at least the ones that I knew of) go out and perform good works. The Mercy Ships program is an excellent example. People volunteer on these ships and bring free food, medical care, clothing, etc. to Third World countries. The strategy is, rather than tell people 'if you want the goods, listen to the message (though I'm sure some do use that strategy), they wait until a person asks 'Why are you doing this?' and respond with a) The directive by Christ to care for the sick, naked, etc. and b) The gospel message.

Before someone asks 'So, why don't they do that in the US/Western Europe,' realize that it's extremely unlikely (read, very near impossible) that there is a person in the US or Western Europe that *doesn't* know who Jesus is. Therefore, if you're going about life as a non-Christian, you're in trouble because you know better (supposedly).

2. What if that person's deity is supposedly expecting something very differently from their followers? For example, this deity expects his followers to be self-reliant?
                  Self-reliant how? That they make it to heaven by their own efforts? Many religions do teach that a person's deeds are weighed when s/he dies. If the good outweighs the bad, they go to Paradise. If not, they go to wherever else. However, the reasoning is that this is not a good system, and that most intelligent people (including the savages) will realize that a 'works' system doesn't work. (What exactly is a good/evil deed? How many good deeds have I done? How many evil ones? Am I really sure that I'm going to Paradise?) Trusting in the Deity's mercy (depending on the deity) is a more logical alternative (As long as I'm doing my best and *intend* to do good, the Deity will be merciful.), and a spiritual people will figure that out.

Huh, and I thought Catholics weren't going to be Raptured.

Marc

Comment

• Originally posted by PatRussell

I would agree 100% with this.
                    Thanks for the backup.

What makes you think that we instantly become perfect and live with God after this life? I believe perfection takes a very long time to attain and that this life is just the beginning. We have a lot to learn before we reach perfection.

Because at the point we die corporeally, our sin is effectively wiped out. The punishment is paid by Christ, and, as if an accountant tore out each debt in hiss book as it was paid, it doesn't exist anymore. Hence we are perfect. The standard English translation of Jesus's last words (which are usually rendered as "It is Finished") is actually not a good translation. Far closer to the original Hebrew/Latin text is "It has been paid in full" - not that he completed what he came to do, but that he has completely paid the price for what we've done.

Err, yes actually. Until quite recently, the thought of eternal damnation didn't even cross my mind, to be honest. However, it's nice to have God there. I treat him as a friend, because he is. An incredibly powerful friend, but a friend none the less. For some reason, there's something intensely comforting about looking for my keys while going, quite conversationally, "Ok, so where are my keys? Give me a hand, will you God? I've got to be out the house in a minute or two, and I haven't a clue where they are. I'm sure I put them down there yesterday... Oh, there they are! Thanks!"

Seriously though, I am quite convinced that he's very powerful. The most recent example is too long to recount, but boils down to this. A friend of a good(ish) friend of mine injured their back quite seriously in a rowing accident the other day (the oar cought on a rock, pushed the rower back in their seat, which is of course completely fixed. Back bent over far too far to be natural, rower in a lot of pain and nearly unable to walk). My friend was naturally a little distraught about this, particularly as she considered it her fault (she was coxing) and told me what had happened. I took it to God, and prayed that a) both of them would be calmed and looked after, and that b) the rower would be healed. This was on Friday. On Monday, when I saw my friend again, I discovered that she was a whole lot happier, her usual bouncy self again; that she had coxed again, successfully, after having declared on Friday that she couldn't possibly cox again, it'd be too scary and frightening, and she's be bound to do the same again; and the injured rower had rowed again that morning, not much the worse for wear, and as happy as ever. I'm convinced that's not just coincidence. I realise I can't convince you, but it does for me...

No, it's just that some of us had our PSU's blow up. Pretty much literally.
                    The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                    Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                    All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                    "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Working...
                    X