Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who like to criticize the Mac Mini. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The radeon 9200 is junk. I know, I've had one for some time now.

Comment

Amazon's Top-Selling Desktop Computers
      HAVE A DAY.
      <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
      "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
      For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

People buy computers from Amazon.com?

The only PCs on the list are things like Sony, Microtel, and eMachines, with a few HP/Compaq thrown in there.

I hope you're not trying to say something with Amazon.com PC sales statistics.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wow, that was a quick reply.

You know, Ash, with you on ignore I can very easily pick and choose which posts of yours I want to read and which one's I don't want to read.
          HAVE A DAY.
          <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
          "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
          For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

You seem to choose to read each one.

And how can you resist such a sexy man posting such sexy comments.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

At least the article is less idiotic than the one that compares a Mac Mini to a low-end DIY PC.

SP
              I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Of course as usual Asher overlooks the obvious.

These are entry level computers aimed at people who are not tech savvy and just want to do basic things.

The software bundle on the mini is far superior to that on the Dell for a start. Word Perfect? Jesus....

But that's not what's funny.

To keep the Dell in order you will need to spend money on an antivirus program (a proper one, not one of the free ones) and updates for it.

Add to that the time and money you will waste getting it fixed when the anti-virus software fails to catch the latest menace, and the amount of time over its operational life you will spend ridding it of spyware or getting someone else to do it - remember these computers are meant to appeal to non-techy people.

Add the cost of all that wasted time to the cost of the Dell, compared with the virus and spyware free mac, and I'd say the mac mini comes out far far cheaper.

Even if you only spend 10 minutes a week dealing with security problems, that adds up over 3 or four years. My time is certainly worth more than that.

Time Agathon has spent dealing with viruses and spyware or related activities in the last four years = zero.

How many Dell owners can say that?
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

I call massive, crippling ignorance.

SP

Comment

Anyone who inflicts a Windows machine on a regular non-tech person is evil.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

That's funny, it used to be UNIX that was reserved for the technically inclined. Of course, it's all a matter of opinion.

I think that it's a matter of what you're used to. I know plenty of people who prefer MacOS to Windows. Personally, I can't stand MacOS; I find it to be totally counterintuitive. So, the first choice of computer shouldn't really matter to somebody who hasn't used one much before, so long as the person who sets it up installs AVG and Kerio (if it's a Windows machine). If a non-tech person doesn't have any friends to help them (in which case they should really consider becoming a tech person, their lifestyle suits the pursuit), then maybe the Mac Mini would be a good, if expensive, alternative.

SP

Comment

I would buey a mac which is a latopmn

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy

The whole point of the Macworld article is that with the Dell computer you get what you pay for: worthless crap.

With the Mac Mini at least you get something that is functional enough to get things done and lives up to the price tag that's on it.
                          Is that the reason why it is outpaced by significant margins by a fully loaded Dell machine that actually includes the monitor? For about the same price also..

After you buy all the things you need for the Mini Mac it probably nears about $800. No longer the $499 budget machine you know about.

The processor in the Mini Mac is crap. That simple. It isn't practical and it doesn't live up to its price tag. The dell on the other hand does. That Dell is by no means a gaming machine, but it certainly does put the Mac Mini out in the cold. The graphics card, the Radeon 9200 with 32MB is incredibly poor. They could of at least picked a Radeon 9200 with more memory on it. That thing won't even stack up against a machine with integrated graphics.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

that is true for most machines though, they don't come with a monitor

Jon miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

That's not the point, jon. The Dell that was talked about did in fact include a monitor... a 19" CRT or 15" LCD.
                              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

hmm, but how was the rest of the machine

also, even if it is a bit more expensice, you have the apple name going for you

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X