Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who like to criticize the Mac Mini. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher

It's extremely rare for a Windows user to need Firewire, which is why it's usually not a default option. It's available for $30 for those who need it.

Firewire is mostly a Mac thing, and also for Digital Video.
    Wrong. Most external Harddrives use firewire. Because of this they are considerably cheaper than their USB2 or RJ-45 versions.

Firewire in Macs is a big advantage for most people, believe me.
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
      Wrong. Most external Harddrives use firewire. Because of this they are considerably cheaper than their USB2 or RJ-45 versions.

How many Windows users use external harddrives?

Again, that's mostly popular in Mac circles because most Macs don't have space to add in more harddrives.

If Firewire in Macs is a big advantage for "most people", you're saying "most people" use Firewire...? That's incredibly hard to believe.

Edit: Looking at BestBuy.ca, they offer 7 external harddrives...

All 7 of them offer USB 2.0 connections, only 1 has a Firewire connection (in addition to USB 2.0)...
      Last edited by Asher; January 20, 2005, 15:12.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And BestBuy.com has 17 external harddrives: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=35776

Every single one, again, offers USB 2.0 connections. 7 also offer Firewire, but this is in addition to USB 2.0.

So I call bull**** on your claim...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I believe a growing number of Windows users are going to use external hard drives, just by looking at the growth of the laptop market

Where I post from external drives using firewire are much more cheaper than the sae ones with firewire/usb2. I'm not familiar with the situation in Canada so I believe things might be little different around there.

I have one 250 GB external firewire HD, unfortunately I have only one firewire port too so I have to wait in agony for the usb2 versions to catch on since I'm planning to buy another 500 GB one. So for people using laptops and living in Europe, who like to carry their external HDs around double firewire ports on a laptop would be a big benefit.

So, when i say "most people" I mean the dramatically growing number of progressive laptop users, a group of people you clearly do not identify with.
          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
            So, when i say "most people" I mean the dramatically growing number of progressive laptop users, a group of people you clearly do not identify with.
            What are "progressive laptop users"?

Do you mean the non-techy laptop users?

I have a 120GB external USB2 for my laptop.

I don't know why it's any different in Europe, but in North America, the vast majority of external harddrives are USB2, and some also have Firewire.

USB2 has far lower latencies, and Firewire has more bandwidth.

Firewire is virtually useless except for those with Digital Video equipment that use Firewire, and that's why it's usually an option, and not standard.

Comment

I checked on the Mac site. You get the mini + keyboard, mouse, an extra 256 MB ram and Applecare for 781$. And that's without the monitor. So it's not really cheaper than an eMac, which comes with a CRT.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I really like how Apple is suing the website ThinkSecret for revealing the Mac Mini.

( Of course, if Microsoft did that, Mac fanbois would just point to how "evil" Microsoft is for doing that... )
                Last edited by Q Classic; January 20, 2005, 18:01.
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                  I really like how Apple is suing the website ThinkSecret for revealing the Mac Mini.

( Of course, if Microsoft did that, Mac fanbois would just point to how "evil" Microsoft is for doing that... )
                  They also blatantly ran out of business other hardware makers that made MacOS-compatible hardware.

They're the most evil of any "major" computer company I can think of (excluding SCO).

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                    I checked on the Mac site. You get the mini + keyboard, mouse, an extra 256 MB ram and Applecare for 781$. And that's without the monitor. So it's not really cheaper than an eMac, which comes with a CRT.
                    The whole point of the Macworld article is that with the Dell computer you get what you pay for: worthless crap.

With the Mac Mini at least you get something that is functional enough to get things done and lives up to the price tag that's on it.
                    HAVE A DAY.
                    <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
                    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
                      The whole point of the Macworld article is that with the Dell computer you get what you pay for: worthless crap.

With the Mac Mini at least you get something that is functional enough to get things done and lives up to the price tag that's on it.
                      I see you've ignored my posts which pointed out what a stupid article it was, and how flawed it was...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I see you've ignored my posts which pointed out what a stupid article it was, and how flawed it was...
                        Smart Apolyton posters put you on ignore and keep you there because they already know well enough that your deception makes your own "opinions" flawed.
                        HAVE A DAY.
                        "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                        For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Hey... discuss the topic... NOT THE POSTERS!
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Here's another good opinion on the Mac Mini coming from an editor for the Wall Street Journal: http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050120.html
                            HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
                              Smart Apolyton posters put you on ignore and keep you there because they already know well enough that your deception makes your own "opinions" flawed.
                              If they're flawed, it should make it pretty easy to debunk.

You just ignore it because it's not what you want to hear. You still read my posts anyway, obviously...

Mac Mini isn't a good deal compared to cheap PCs, even from brand names like Dell. It's silly to argue otherwise, which is why it was so easy to debunk the Macworld story.

It's selling point is it's tiny, not that it's cheap for a Mac.

Comment

Can't say the guy who wrote the article made a special effort to make a fair assessment. His remark about Windows XP Home was especially ill informed IMO. Most people don't need Windows XP professional.
                                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                                X