No announcement yet.

The absence of asians in popular music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure if the premise of this thread is correct, but if so, it is more than offset by the presence Asians have in Western classical music venues. I'd say a good quarter or more of the members of major U.S. and European orchestras are Asians. Asians also seem to make up a disproportionately large segment of conservatory students.

Sumi Jo is one of my favorite opera stars, and one can hardly complain about the cello stylings of Yo-Yo Ma (when he isn't being a complete sellout, that is).
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Close enough for something typed quickly.

Well, I suppose you're right, Shegitz.
      B♭3

Comment

• The vocal of Fine Young Canibals looked Asian for me...
        And Tarkan, of which part of Turkey is He from?
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by mindseye

The jacket of "Spleen and Ideal" was always one of of my favorite album covers.

I like their tracks on 'Lonely As An Eyesore' too, and the tracks they did on This Mortal Coil's 'It'll End in Tears'.

Sounds like another 4AD fan!

Oh yes. Several hard to find 4AD compilations, including the one sold in the Dr Martens' shop, grace the collection, as well as the Pixies, Breeders, Wolfgang Press, Throwing Muses, Kristin Hersh and the Cocteau Twins, Modern English, Mojave Three, Lisa Germano....
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• as i think colon said, there's a fair bit of japanese electronic music. a lot of it isn't great, but there is a fair bit of j-pop which has been remixed by some top european producers (above & beyond, armin van buuren, dirt devils to name a few) and some of it is brilliant.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Re: The absence of asians in popular music

Originally posted by nostromo
              Asians are very hard to find in north american popular music. By "popular music", I mean "pop", "rock"and "rap". And there are no stars I can think of. Why is that?
              Well, there's that half-chinese half-black guy in 2 Live Crew..

And Smashing Pumpkins had a Japanese guitarist..

Comment

• Dream Theatre has an Asian bass player
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                X