Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal ID's, how is it in your country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanS
    It is interesting that Anglophone countries (minus HK) seem to have similar laws and views on this.
    The Anglo tradition of liberalism is something very specific. The rest of the west rather has a perspective of liberalism that is inherited of French enlightenment (considering that these ideas spread on all of Europe but Britain through pre-revolution cultural superiority and then Napoleon's conquests).

The rest of the world has its own traditions regarding freedom from the State, but these traditions are rarely any liberal.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• The Anglo tradition of liberalism is something very specific. The rest of the west rather has a perspective of liberalism that is inherited of French enlightenment (considering that these ideas spread on all of Europe but Britain through pre-revolution cultural superiority and then Napoleon's conquests).
      Yes, this fact is very interesting and I agree with you. Other subtle differences due to the different enlightenment traditions exist to this day, surprisingly.

I'd be curious to know about New Zealand and India's systems.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• no iD card in NZ

India was a colony so probably has it
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• NZ, Canada, Oz weren't colonies?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Nope, they were dominions and their inhabitants were self governing British citizens with all the rights of British citizens. Australian held British passports up till the 1950's. Indians didn't.

This change of status resulted from lessons learned from the mismanagement of the American colonies.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

• They were colonies first.

Comment

• I'm talking about at the time of self government, not the beginning.

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                  Doesn't happen, WWII is past us for some time now.
                  Just as before, a cop needs a valid reason to stop you, why would having an ID card make any difference?
                  If a cop can already stop you for a valid reason, what's the added benefit of compulsory IDs?
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                    Do you feel - or even are - less free carrying a passport ?
                    This is something we see often from political refugees coming to Canada, they're affraid of whatever-you-may-think-of and decide to always carry their passport with them.

Comment

• What happens if they lose their passport? Are they basically screwed?

This change of status resulted from lessons learned from the mismanagement of the American colonies.
                      Ah, I see. Thanks. I never knew why y'all were so docile to the crown.

Comment

What happens if they lose their passport? Are they basically screwed?
                        Errr... not at all. The point was that Canada does not require anyone to carry any ID, but that refugees coming from oppressive regimes still do it because they've become paranoid... well, doesn't that suggest how great it is to be required to carry ID?

Comment

Ah, I see. Thanks. I never knew why y'all were so docile to the crown.
                          Its really hard to see why the US colonies would have broken away from Britain if complaints about taxation without representation etc. had been met, as they were in Australia, Canada, South Africa and NZ. You might have ended up with a United States of North America under the British crown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel
                            Of course, brown people are always suspected of being illegal immigrants, so they get checked all the time

You see, if you had IDs mandatory, brown people would get hassled much less. Just show an ID, and be on your way.
                            I still don't think you get it, being asked for your ID is the hassle! At the moment they can't be, but if you introduced it you'd suddenly have a new power for the police to exploit.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                            X