• Show
Clear All

• Mac to go below $500?

From News.com:

A new iMac for under $500?
    Published: December 31, 2004, 11:56 AM PST

By Robert Lemos
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

The annual exercise of the Mac faithful--guessing the products Apple Computer plans to announce at MacWorld--has some Web sites predicting the release of a sub-$500 desktop aimed at new users.

Click here to continue reading. . .
    Well, it's not something I would buy since I really need something more powerful, but for someone that just wants to try out the Mac without spending an arm and a leg or just needs a computer to use as a media center, this sounds like it would be a nifty little machine that could do the job well.
    HAVE A DAY.
    <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Ah...so it costs even less to buy a machine that crashes more
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
      Ah...so it costs even less to buy a machine that crashes more
      Only if you did something to force it to crash; of course I can force Windows to crash, too. Of course, with normal use it should never or rarely ever crash.
      HAVE A DAY.
      "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
      For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

IMac reduced to 200MHz? Ah... who would of thought.. I can get an AMD Sempron 2600+, fully loaded for $239 with better components then this IMAc could ever get.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Bah...I've made threads in the past detailing crashing. Just by doing normal things like copying something into another document. Or saving a document. You know, normal everyday use.
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
            IMac reduced to 200MHz? Ah... who would of thought.. I can get an AMD Sempron 2600+, fully loaded for $239 with better components then this IMAc could ever get.
            Yeah, and I bet it would crash a lot more, too!
            HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
              Bah...I've made threads in the past detailing crashing. Just by doing normal things like copying something into another document. Or saving a document. You know, normal everyday use.
              You know one thing about the Mac: If it does crash, 99% of the time it's just an application (usually just third-party apps) that crashes and not the whole operating system.
              HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy

Yeah, and I bet it would crash a lot more, too!
                No it wouldn't. This machine runs off the best budget CPU on the market, the Sempron. It is solid and quite fast. Stop being foolish. This stripped down IMac will probably have 2GB of hard-disk space.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

You know one thing about the Mac: If it does crash, 99% of the time it's just an application (usually just third-party apps) that crashes and not the whole operating system.
                  You obviously don't know much about Windows.. all you do is hit control, alt, delete... and you can end the program that isn't responding. I think you have it the other way around. 90% of time in Windows it is just a program. In MAc, the entire OS crashes.

Comment

It's not always 3rd party software. And yes, it does end up messing up the entire operating system frequently.

Comment

No it wouldn't. This machine runs off the best budget CPU on the market, the Sempron. It is solid and quite fast. Stop being foolish.
                      You stop being foolish! It sounds too good to be true and you should know better.

This stripped down IMac will probably have 2GB of hard-disk space.
                      It says in the article that it will have between 40 and 80GB.
                      HAVE A DAY.

Comment

You obviously don't know much about Windows.. all you do is hit control, alt, delete... and you can end the program that isn't responding. I think you have it the other way around. 90% of time in Windows it is just a program. In MAc, the entire OS crashes.
                        Troll.

Typical Mac Basher rhetoric and you know it ain't true.

That goes for you too, Apocalypse.
                        HAVE A DAY.

Comment

You stop being foolish! It sounds too good to be true and you should know better.

It says in the article that it will have between 40 and 80GB.
                          That's because I get it from a site that sells at discount. It comes with everything that is name-brand. This isn't dell. These are name brand products. Furthermore, there is no integrated video. Only the sound is integrated, and that's good enough for a budget user.

The Sempron is the best budget CPU out there, period.

Comment

Troll.

How isn't it true especially when I already proved in a different thread how much faster the AMD is compared to the G5?

Comment

Troll.

I know it's true every Thursday night/Friday morning when I layout a newspaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X