No announcement yet.

War now appears unwinnable in light of new enemy offensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It says copyright 2004, so I can only assume that the writer here is woefully miseducated on history...
    B♭3

Comment

The brits did not invade Iraq in 1941, they were already there and deposed the government

Also, they went first into Lybia (1940) that time.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

dun dun dun

first we take manhattan...

THEN WE TAKE BERLIN!

===

STEVE HOLT!
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          The brits did not invade Iraq in 1941, they were already there and deposed the government

Also, they went first into Lybia (1940) that time.

They had a couple of divisions in Basra, and a small air base in Habbaniya. Rashid Ali deposed the regent, and proceeded to besiege Habaniya. Without relief by land and air, it was clear the British position was unsustainable. So they made a military move into Iraq, to restore the security situation, and the regent. You can quibble about calling that an invasion if you wish. From the point of view of allocation overstretched forces, it certainly looked like one.

They did NOT overthrow Rashi Ali only with forces already present. They required a the Habanniyah Relief Force ("Habforce") a full British brigade, to come over the desert from Palestine, to relieve Habbaniyah, and then move on to Baghdad . Also additional forces from India were sent to Basra.

Gen Wavell : "Force from Palestine can relieve Habbaniya, and hold apporaches from Baghdad to prevent further advance on Habbaniyah; but it is not capable of entering Baghdad against opposition or maintaining itself there ... In order, therefore, to avoid a heavy military commitment in a non-vital area, I still recommend tthat a political solution be sought by all available means "

As for Libya, i was thinking of Operation Crusader, which was in November 1941. Of course they also went into Libya in December 1940, but were chased out by Rommel. And Wavell attacked Libya to relieve Tobruk in June of 1941. And Montgomery went into Libya, for the last time, in 1942 after Alamein. Of course i didnt say it was the ONLY time they invaded Libya And of course it was an afterthought, to help people who didnt get the first three invasions.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            So if we sent 10 divisions into Germany tomorrow and overthrew the govt, that wouldnt count as an invasion, since we have bases there?
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

"I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

If todays republicans were in charge in the 40s, they would ally with Hitler.

I WIN!

urgh.NSFW

Comment

if Rummy ran WW2

"what this 5 divisions on the beaches, plus 2 airborne? And whats this about dozens of follow up divisions, masses of equipment? ****, somebody toss this out and get me a plan without so much overkill = How about we land with 3 divisions, and then add another 2 or 3 the month after the landing. Hell, theres no war without risks, you know, no plan survives contact with the enemy, ...... - and besides, if we have too many troops in France, the French will become dependent on us and wont build their own forces"

Comment

LOL IF YOU CRITICISE THE IRAQ WAR ITS LIKE CRITISIZING WW2 LO!L
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

So if we sent 10 divisions into Germany tomorrow and overthrew the govt, that wouldnt count as an invasion, since we have bases there?
                      Smartass

Comment

Azazel, I bow to the winner

Comment

WWII anologies suck.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                            WWII anologies suck.
                            Any analogy with any war is completely ignorant. Societies and political situations change.

If we were to have postponed the Iraq war by 10 years, the resulting war would be entirely different than the one we have today... just by the nature that its ten years in the future.

Drawing parallels is fine, but justifying a losing war today because we won a war in Europe 50 years ago is just dumb.

Comment

i guess the point is that its sometimes hard to tell whos winning. D Day isnt that good an illustration. Much better is to look at how desperate things looked for the UK in the early years. And not just when things really were desperate, in 1940, but even after.

For example in May 1941, theyd just screwed up an offensive in Libya. Theyd lost thousands of troops, and several ships, in the evacuation from Crete, only the latest in a string of German triumphs. They didnt have enough troops to deal with the Vichy forces in Syria, and had barely won in Iraq. Sinkings in the Atlantic were high, and the Luftwaffe had just destroyed the House of Commons (the building, not the members)

The whole war was seriously screwed up. Yet in retrospect we know that they were well on their way to victory.

which doesnt prove a thing about Iraq today, but it does tell us something about the need to look beyond the headlines to the underlying strategic questions.

Comment

It is quite simple, republicans win wars.
                                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Working...
                                X