War now appears unwinnable in light of new enemy offensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Can't be the Romans. Guess it's the Brits.
    Yup. When? what circumstances?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

well, the brits did Iraq in 1916, Syria in 1918, but they don't fit into Iran.

The Romans certainly hit Syria before going after the Sassanids in Mesopotamia.

So the Ottomans and their fast campaign vs the mamlukes? Thought I still don't get iran there.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

When on earth did the Brits invade Iran?

And there was a bit of a time lag between WW1 and WW2 (and hitting Lybia).

Comment

AFAIK the British invaded Iraq at one time (which cost them a lot of men )

Oops, too late
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
            AFAIK the British invaded Iraq at one time (which cost them a lot of men )
            They also had the priviledge of being the first nation to ever gas Kurdish civilians, so that makes up for it
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaw!

Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                Yup. When?
                Not WWII, with that order. Was it after they beat Napoleon?

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

I am a River to my People.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Thats a British sponsored rebellion that began in the Hejaz.

The Brist launched a failed expedition from the Gulf up to Kut, where the force was then besieged by Ottoman forces and was defeated. After the innitial Ottoman attack vs the Sinai, the Brits came back in 1917-18 in their offensive that broke the Ottomans in Palestine and Syria, linked with the Hashemite forces, and forced the ottomans out of the war.

I still don't get the "invading Iran" bit thought.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                      well, the brits did Iraq in 1916, Syria in 1918, but they don't fit into Iran.

The Romans certainly hit Syria before going after the Sassanids in Mesopotamia.

So the Ottomans and their fast campaign vs the mamlukes? Thought I still don't get iran there.

In April - May into Iraq, overthrowing the pro-Axis govt of Rashid Ali. German and Italian airplanes had arrived in Mosul, after Brits (pursuing a treaty that gave them rights to move troops through) sent a couple of Indian divisions to Basra, and left them there. The Iraqis surrounded a brit airbase in Habbaniya, near Fallujah, and the tiny base held them off till the relief column came from Palestine. Wavell had suggested holding off, but Churchill insisted on going in.

Then in June they took out the Vichy forces in Syria, who had been dabbling with the Axis as well. Fairly bloody,
                      and Free French played a role. Attack was launched from Isr - oops, Palestine, and from Iraq.

Later that summer they went into Iran (jointly with the Russians) since the old Shah was letting German agents move freely in the country. It was feared they would sabotage the Railroad to Russia, which was intended as a route for lend lease aid (also they might threaten oil facilities) Brits/indians came in from Iraq, Russians from the north, Shah abdicated in favor of his son (i think), a young man destined for a controversial career.

Been reading " The Grand Alliance" and its rather striking.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I was going to put scenes up from THe Four Feathers, but none of them were as exciting!
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: War now appears unwinnable in light of new enemy offensive

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                          The Battle of the Bulge was AFAIK also the first time,
                          where tanks with real nightfighting capabilities were used
                          (Panthers with IR-Device Uhu)
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            The Americans didn't want De Gaulle, whom they saw as a new Napoleon. They wanted to put a puppet in his stead, but Churchill insisted that De Gaulle leads the provisional government.

It was because of Churchill's attempt to keep some international power in Europe. Giving France a true leader, and a front seat among the winners, was in Churchill's interests, but definitely not in the US'.
                            Yes, and the funny thing is he hated De Gaul. IIRC He made sure his funeral procession went through Waterloo (London) so that De Gaul would have to pass through it.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

"l'homme du destin"

Comment

Incidently is Shi suggesting that this is a comparison with the current Iraq war? Doesn't he know that was won over a year ago! It's all over!
                                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X