Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VetLegion
    Yep, EU is part of the Cyprus mess now.

I think it is a bit more problematic than say the Basque mess, or northern Ireland mess, but still not impossible to solve.

The problem is, while I see the way pressure will be applied to Turkey, I don't see any possibility for EU to pressure Cyprus in a meaningful way. They're members now, it's not like they're going to be kicked out, they can't be blackmailed over funds either, since they're not that poor... they can theoretically hold their position forever.
    The EU has its ways of pressuring its members, nevertheless. And the Greek Cypriots do not have straight enough a face to garner much of a sympathy or support from their fellow members after their unexpected rejection of the UN plan.

In light of EU's full foreknowledge that it will be a party to the Cyprus problem, ultimately its willingness to apply pressure on the Greek Cypriots will be the true measure of how much EU as an institution values the membership of Turkey.

If that value is regarded low, it will stay oblivious to the quandary it creates for Turkey and let the Greek Cypriots use the EU as a blackmail tool against Turkey, whereas Turkey will not indefinitely bow down to every demand of the EU, particularly ones of such dubious quality like its (EUs) conduct on Cyprus.
    "Common sense is as rare as genius" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
    X