Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Islam a religion of peace , or is it inherently violent ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And from what I read, the Jews under Muslim rule were much better off than Jews under Christian rule.

Comment

insanely better off... aside from a tax, Christians and Jews were not at all ill-treated by their Muslim rulers. whereas Christian nations since Constantine's Rome have been rife with expulsions and progroms of Jews, Islamic nations never had any history of such things until the 20th century.

in the 17th century, when Akbar the Great, the Muslim Mogul sultan, invited philosophers and theologians from around the world to discuss religious matters, he and all the other religious congregations of jews, muslims, nestorians, hindus, buddhists, confucists, taoist, etc. all found the Jesuit theologians to be violent, intolerant, and single/narrow-minded. that experience epitomizes Christianity until recently.

when a Muslim monarch puts out his hand to have a free and open discussion of religion, the world's religions respond with friendly debate and discussion except for the Christians who blindly and intolerantly insisted on their version of God.

history shows that with only a rare exception (the Quakers), Christians were the civilized world's intolerant, violent bastards until the Enlightenment. so bizarre considering the especially kind, gentle, and tolerant founder.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's interesting that often governments of Islamic states (such as the Umayyad and Abbasid Caliphates) discouraged conversion to Islam (to maximize tax revenue).

history shows that with only a rare exception (the Quakers), Christians were the civilized world's intolerant, violent bastards until the Enlightenment. so bizarre considering the especially kind, gentle, and tolerant founder.

Not really. Between the fall of the Roman Empire and the Clunyist reform movement in the 10th century, Christianity was suprisingly tolerant towards other religions.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Between the fall of the Roman Empire and the Clunyist reform movement in the 10th century, Christianity was suprisingly tolerant towards other religions.

Not really towards the Jews... look at the words of Saint John Chrysostom, an anti-semite if there was one. Some Christians believed Jews were part of the same branch, but most of Christianity believed in Chrysostom's teachings about them messing up God's word, which necessitated the sending of the Messiah, who the Jews killed, etc. His works were very influential, even after the Empire fell.

And Speer, while Muslims were, as a whole, much more tolerant and did not ill treat Christians and Jews, some areas in some periods of history did engage in some persecution, such as the early Seljuks.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Nonetheless, significant numbers of pogroms didn't start again until the end the millennium. The ideology of intolerance was primarily a byproduct of soceity (especially parts of the Church) directing feudal violence away from Christians and towards "the others."
            Last edited by Ramo; December 12, 2004, 23:52.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Saying you are bad because of your religion, but not wiping you out is still intolerance.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Suprisingly tolerant isn't the same thing as tolerant.
                -Bokonon

Comment

I wouldn't call disdain and disgust for a group as 'suprisingly tolerant' either, at least not compared to Roman tradition on cults .

Comment

Did I ever mention that it's somewhat ridiculous sometimes, to argue back and forth which religion has been more oppressive in its history?

Oh, and since I wanted to keep the winking smilie going . . . .
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

As if it could go on forever.

Comment

I wouldn't call disdain and disgust for a group as 'suprisingly tolerant' either, at least not compared to Roman tradition on cults

This disgust wasn't universal. And the Roman Empire towards the end was pretty damn oppressive to religious dissidents. Look at all the **** that Augustine was advocating.
                        -Bokonon

Comment

This disgust wasn't universal. And the Roman Empire towards the end was pretty damn oppressive to religious dissidents.

Well mostly after Christians took it over (Theodosius II and all). Before hand, the Roman Empire only acted against those cults which formented political defiance (such as when the Jews started to feel too important in the 1st Century and the Christians before Constantine). They didn't care so much about what different religions believed, as long as they didn't stray into political issues. The Jews, for instance, were mostly left alone before and after that unplesantness around 70 CE.

And I'd say the disgust was held by a large majority.

Comment

Well mostly after Christians took it over (Theodosius II and all).

Of course.

And I'd say the disgust was held by a large majority.

Since Gallup and Zogby weren't around back then, I can't say. But there were prominent exceptions.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

But there were prominent exceptions.

I agree there were exceptions but a lot of the people considered Church founders expressed a lot of anti-semetic statements... setting up what occured later.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                                insanely better off... aside from a tax, Christians and Jews were not at all ill-treated by their Muslim rulers.
                                Oh what a pile of crap.

If you are going to study Islamic history at least do it in some depth, not tactfully omitting the eruptions of puritanical Islamic sects who had no compunction about offering a choice of submission or sword to peoples of the book.

It's entirely possible to combine great artistic and scientific achievement with cruel and arbitrary behaviour based on 'interpretation' of religious texts, but glossing over the more sanguine episodes as you do is dishonest.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X