Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If one of them succeeds, is it an act of war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If one of them succeeds, is it an act of war?

200 pledge willingness to carry out suicide attacks against Americans, Israelis
    01:56 AM EST Dec 03

An Iranian man, prepares his daughter by covering her face in the same style of Palestinian and Lebanese militants, during a ceremony for the first suicide commandos unit at a cemetery just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
    NASSER KARIMI

TEHRAN, Iran, (AP) - Some 200 masked young men and women gathered at a Tehran cemetery Thursday to pledge their willingness to carry out suicide bomb attacks against Americans in Iraq and Israelis.

The ceremony was organized by the Headquarters for Commemorating Martyrs of the Global Islamic Movement, a shadowy group that has since June been seeking volunteers for attacks in Iraq and Israel.

A spokesman, Ali Mohammadi, described Thursday's group as the "first suicide commando unit," though another official has claimed members already have carried out attacks in Israel.

"Sooner or later we will bury all blasphemous occupiers of Islamic lands," Mohammadi said.

Sunday, Iran's deputy interior minister for security affairs told reporters the movement had no official sanction and said such groups could operate only "as long as their ideas are limited to theory." The group, though, has the backing of some prominent hard-line Iranian politicians.

The deputy minister, Ali Asghar Ahmadi, did not say if the government had tried to crack down on the military style training the group claims to offer or whether officials believed any of its volunteers had crossed into Iraq or into Israel.

Iran has had no diplomatic ties with the United States since the 1979 Islamic revolution ousted the U.S.-backed shah. But it says it has no interest in fomenting instability in Iraq and that it tries to block any infiltration into Iraq by insurgents - while pleading that its porous borders are hard to police.

Iran portrays Israel as its main nemesis and backs anti-Israeli groups like Lebanon's Hezbollah.

Wives, husbands and children accompanied volunteers to the cemetery, which was decorated with posters denouncing America and Israel.

"I joined the unit to fulfill my religious task for Palestine," said a volunteer who gave only his age - 23.

Thursday's ceremony included the unveiling of two-meter (6-foot) stone column commemorating a 1983 attack on U.S. Marine barracks in Lebanon as "the biggest suicide bombing operation against global blasphemy."

In the early hours of Oct. 23, 1983, a truck carrying more than 2,000 pounds of explosives sped past a sentry post and exploded in the center of the barracks, killing 241 Marines. Then U.S. President Ronald Reagan ordered U.S. troops to withdraw from Lebanon a few months after the bombing.

In 2003 a federal judge blamed Iran for the 1983 terrorist bombing in Beirut and said Tehran would have to pay damages to survivors and relatives.

© The Canadian Press, 2004

Yeah, Iran says it dosen't support them, but that seems a bit of a stretch to me, given how they're meeting in the open, in the capital, setting up monuments.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

How does that differ from the Michigan Militia or those clowns that run around in bedsheets?
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
      How does that differ from the Michigan Militia or those clowns that run around in bedsheets?
      These people are more likely to blow someone up?
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The Iranian government knows about these terrorists and refuses to inforce their own anti-terrorism laws. If one Coalition soldier is killed in Iraq then I say it is the same as a declaration of war and we need to bomb the Iranians into the stone age. I seriously doubt the Iranians would fight a land war because they know they'd get their asses handed to them on the open plains of Iraq and southwestern Iran. All we need to do is bomb the **** out of them until they agree to do what we say. If our demands are reasonable (like stopping terrorist attacks they know about in advance, stop making nuclear weapons, and stop sponsoring Hamas) then I think they will comply but only if they know we are serious and that we will hurt them very badly if they don't comply.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There's no way the Iranians let these people attack our forces. This is a political ploy. They're up to something else.

OTOH, it's possible the Iranians believe they are safe, since the U.S. is now over deployed and can't spare the forces to invade Iran, though we could give them a good bombing. Course, they've been bomed before, so they probably think they can handle it.

If they can get the DPRK to rattle their sabers a little . . .
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Umhh difficult question. I'd say that in certain situations it can't be interpreted as an act of war. But there could be scenarios where it could be an act of war. Really depends.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
              I didn't know they were setting up monuments in Washington DC.

Comment

what about timmy mcveigh. he was an inbred-hick-run-around-in-bedsheets guy. theses guys might be the same.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Re: If one of them succeeds, is it an act of war?

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                  Yeah, Iran says it dosen't support them, but that seems a bit of a stretch to me, given how they're meeting in the open, in the capital, setting up monuments.
                  Condoning is not the same as supporting.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                    what about timmy mcveigh. he was an inbred-hick-run-around-in-bedsheets guy. theses guys might be the same.
                    We killed McVeigh.

Comment

Murderers.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

We killed McVeigh.
                        We didn't declare war on Michicagn.

Comment

And McVeigh didn't blow something up in Canada.

It's a bad comparison, since McVeigh attacked his own nation, while these people are intending to target other nations.

Does anybody here believe that Iran's response would be anything but merciless if they were intending to attack domestic targets?

Comment

Does anybody here believe that Iran's response would be anything but merciless if they were intending to attack domestic targets?
                            Nope.

Comment

There's no way the Iranians let these people attack our forces. This is a political ploy. They're up to something else.
                              How do we know that this group hasn't already blown up Americans in Iraq.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X