CBS Poll: Creationism Trumps Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gibsie
    You shouldn't give Creationists ammo to whine about being personally attacked. Plus they aren't mutually exclusive entirely- I have a biochemist friend doing a PhD who believes in Creationism. Just imagine that- someone of PH's calibre belieiving in Creationism
    how the hell? I can understand how most people can believe creationism because it's convenient and belief or disbelief doesn't actually effect decision making on a practical day to day level. But a biochemist? Who would give him a PHD with his beliefs? How can someone exist with that level of cognitive dissonance?
    ku eshte shpata eshte feja
    Where the Sword is, There lies religion

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibsie
      Imperial College.
      Then he cheated on the tests.

Creationism and intelligence simply cannot exist in the same person.

Comment

• Oh come on, get a grip. It's certain that he believes in Creationism as a result of his upbringing, but to insult his intelligence and integrity or suggest that someone should not be allowed to earn a PhD because of their religious beliefs is just not on.

Comment

• Yes it was.

No because while the evidence pointed the way of evolution, we had no idea of how it really worked.

DNA made it as close to a certainty as you could want.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Bottom line: Creationists and Evolutionists are equally intelligent on average. We are all human and we all have the same capacity for learning. What makes the difference is our upbringing and where we get our education. This has the greatest influence on what we believe.
            HAVE A DAY.
            <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
            "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
            For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

• I know lots of PhD's who believe in creationism (in various forms).
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH
                I know lots of PhD's who believe in creationism (in various forms).
                Yes, I know one. The pastor of my church has a PhD.
                HAVE A DAY.
                "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

• Does anyone here besides me know that half of all scientists are creationists? 'Tis true.
                  HAVE A DAY.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
                    Bottom line: Creationists and Evolutionists are equally intelligent on average. We are all human and we all have the same capacity for learning. What makes the difference is our upbringing and where we get our education. This has the greatest influence on what we believe.

Can you realistically name any place outside of Bob Jones University where a higher education causes even more belief in creationism? I think education almost universally increases acceptance of evolution. This of course is not because evolution is a bias but because evolution is the reasoned position on the processes of life. For something to be bias it would have to be unreasoned, which would preclude evolution.
                    Last edited by Thucydides; November 24, 2004, 14:47.

Comment

• I am biased - towards truth.

Comment

Does anyone here besides me know that half of all scientists are creationists? 'Tis true.
                        I know your just joking, but it's interesting to look at the stats anyway. Check out

The follow-up study reported in "Nature" reveals that the rate of belief is lower than eight decades ago. The latest survey involved 517 members of the National Academy of Sciences; half replied. When queried about belief in "personal god," only 7% responded in the affirmative, while 72.2% expressed "personal disbelief," and 20.8% expressed "doubt or agnosticism." Belief in the concept of human immortality, i.e. life after death declined from the 35.2% measured in 1914 to just 7.9%. 76.7% reject the "human immortality" tenet, compared with 25.4% in 1914, and 23.2% claimed "doubt or agnosticism" on the question, compared with 43.7% in Leuba's original measurement. Again, though, the highest rate of belief in a god was found among mathematicians (14.3%), while the lowest was found among those in the life sciences fields -- only 5.5%.

Comment

Yes, I know one. The pastor of my church has a PhD.
                          I'll rephrase. I know lots of PhD-level scientists working in biomedical research who believe in creationism (in various forms).
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by nostromo

I'm not. But you have to admit that there was a particularly large concentration of communists in the USSR at the time. And Lysenko and his lackeys rejected medelian genetics because they thought it conflicted with the communist world view.

Indeed. Of course, eventually, USSR politicians stopped backing Lysenka and sane mendelian genetics took hold.
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• There's creationism and then there's creationism, as far as I'm concerned.

I can understand intelligent people believing in God, and believing that God created the universe... and that things kinda went from there, possibly with God tinkering along the way.

I cannot understand an intelligent person who believes that everything we see around us was created exactly this way by God ~6000 yrs ago.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• I know lots of PhD's who believe in creationism (in various forms).
                                In other words, they believe in God and they believe he wilfully created the Universe? Most people who believe in God believe something like that. But I sure hope they don't believe the fundamentalist version of creationism, which is the bible account.
                                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                                X