Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak

It’s a problem watching rugger – you need top be able to discern individual limbs.

I recall the Gabba (and I realise it is a cricket stadium) had this problem when they put rugger inside it.
    And they play AFL at the Gabba, too. Cricket grounds, AFL grounds, they're all ovals, so inherently unsuitable for rugby from a watcher's point of view.

Acutally I loved the mixed metaphor. Surely that is ripe for local or federal government to step in and get a bargain? I know Aussie government does not run shy of getting involved in sport like our mob do.
    I think they've already approached the WA government. They've got no hope. The WA government is a Labor government - all our states and territories are Labor governments - but of the ugly ilk, competing with the Tories to be as penny-pinching and meanspirited as possible. Not that I'm suggesting the government should take over the WACA.

By the way – Amnesiac David Blunkett claiming he ‘did it all for the love of his son’ got the same positive reception from me that David Campese would speaking at my club. This from a man who claimed peaceful protestors at a USAF facility had ‘swords and cudgels’. They had a Kite. But I digress…
    I realised only recently that he's blind from birth. He's achieved much, even if his politics are despicable. And it turns out that half of England has been porking that same bint. Hopefully you passed up the opportunity.

I did – and you are correct. I was trying to be fairer to him given my own personal view is definitely coloured by his failure as backs coach for Tigers. I still think he is a bad move for a new S12 franchise trying to match the established franchises because I have heard terrible things about his inter-personal skills since his leaving Saracens.
    His career path was almost preordained. Because he was essentially the Brumbies backline captain, organiser and brainstrust, along with Gregan and Larkham, it was sort of assumed that he would make a good coach. It ain't necessarily so. He was also famous here for being prickly. He was at the forefront of the them -v- us (meaning the Brumbies -v- everyone else including the ARU) psychology that the Brumbies developed for motivational purposes. It doesn't surprise me that his inter-personal skills are dodgy. I suspect he needs like minds around him to prosper, as he had at the Brumbies.

Oh the Aussies are well out in front still. It’s a good thing the next series is here I think – should make it more competitive.
    Everyone here is looking forward to the series. Thumping the Kiwis and the Pakis is, ultimately, tedious. And bad for the game itself in the long term.

I thought the second innings dismissal of Tres might catch your eye – no foot movement at all that I could see.
    None. He has a good eye, so he'll score heavily against bowling that isn't top class.

Yes why is Butcher there – his dismissal in the second was a very Gower type flash to a wide and low delivery, aka damn stupid. Key is still on probation for me – but Butch simply messes up too often.

I don’t know if you have caught any of it but Vaughan’s footwork also seems to be getting very lazy. Excellent skipper – but his batting is really suffering from it.
    I've always thought Thorpe was the only genuinely top class batsman. When his head is right. Great technique and a tough nut. Strauss is scoring runs but I haven't seen enough of him to judge. Vaughan looked immensely promising in exactly the same way Thorpe was but he hasn't progressed. Maybe it's the captaincy. We'll see. The thing with the Australians is that, on song, they're masters of pressure. And I don't mean of the verbal kind. They probe for weaknesses, find them, and target them. They rarely let an oppo off the hook. There's a lot of planning behind the skills on the field.

Oh, and if Michael Clarke can forget that he's probably the most gifted young batsman to appear since Tendulkar, and stop trying to play every shot in his arsenel before he gets to 20, you could be in for a batting treat.

*edit* Graeme Bond, Sale Centre, has failed to recover from a serious neck injury and has therefore retired from rugger. Sorry to see him go - sure he was a pain to see in the oppo at times but he was a decent player.
    Yes, a great pity. Always just short of top quality, but a terrific contributor.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
      Speaking about Cricket seems to be allowed but I must admit that nobody except Havak and Finbar understand what they are writing.
      Cricket is the other gentlemen's game!

Be careful with Havak and Finbar, they can access the Internet from their office and thus have a lot of time to waste here, if you start a "talk" with them you would be well advised to have a lot of time and an unlimited access to the web.
      What's more, my office is at home, so I'm always available to hurl insults at Tamerlin! Speaking of which, I saw on the TV news last night that a grenouille paratroop regiment from Toulouse dressed up as Santa Claus and his elves and parachuted into Kosovo to hand out presents to children!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
        Cricket is the other gentlemen's game!
        Havak, could you explain what Finbar is writing about, please?

What's more, my office is at home, so I'm always available to hurl insults at Tamerlin!

Speaking of which, I saw on the TV news last night that a grenouille paratroop regiment from Toulouse dressed up as Santa Claus and his elves and parachuted into Kosovo to hand out presents to children!
        They are in the army, don't expect them to behave properly.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

And Finbar – Eight test wins in a row now. Are England becoming a credible cricket side at long last?
          Are you, perchance, including Bangladesh, Kenya and/or Zimbabwe anywhere in those wins?

Originally posted by Tamerlin
          Speaking about Cricket seems to be allowed but I must admit that nobody except Havak and Finbar understand what they are writing.
          Did you just call me nobody? :deeply insulted:

Originally posted by Tamerlin
          Be careful with Havak and Finbar, they can access the Internet from their office and thus have a lot of time to waste here, if you start a "talk" with them you would be well advised to have a lot of time and an unlimited access to the web.

Comment

• Originally posted by ravagon
            Did you just call me nobody? :deeply insulted:
            I would not dare.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Are you up early or just going to bed?

Comment

• Hi Ravagon. The string of wins comes from whitewashes at home against the Windies and, now what was that other team again, ah yes…New Zealand. The only reason they are not threatening Australia’s record is the last test of the winter tour fizzled into a draw. It’s a remarkable turn around for a side beaten at home by NZ only four years ago IIRC.

On the rugby side Tigers are hugely annoyed after our European opponents Calvisano moved the last pool fixture 30 miles to a smaller stadium after suddenly remembering that they do not have floodlights to accommodate a 3pm kick off. You can understand why Finbar loves the place – small things (like being able to see the ball) just are not important to them.

Not that I'm suggesting the government should take over the WACA.
                I don’t see why not = a top class sports facility for the western hicks? No offence to transient Kiwis.

Hopefully you passed up the opportunity.
                Oh I passed all right. Being sane.

The man has triumphed over his disabilities. But he is a huge disappointment to me. As a young politician he was labour to the core. He then became one of the most right wing Home Secretary’s I can ever recall. And less than truthful about his memory. Oh they will try to spin him back into the cabinet quickly – but I’ll never trust him in any portfolio again.

Thumping the Kiwis and the Pakis is, ultimately, tedious. And bad for the game itself in the long term.
                What has happened to NZ – they were supposed to be resurgent when they came to us in the Spring.

They rarely let an oppo off the hook. There's a lot of planning behind the skills on the field.
                I don’t think anyone would deny them that aspect of their supremacy.

I don’t mind to see good batting – but I’d rather see good bowling testing the lad. I have seen plenty of exhibition batting from Aussie touring sides thank you.

Havak, could you explain what Finbar is writing about, please?
                There are two sporting codes favoured by Gentleman Tamerlin. Rugby Union and Cricket. You qualify as a Gentleman for loving Union – but to be the definitive article you must love the smack of willow on leather too.

It’s not a game for casual viewing – but it is a great way to spend five days with a picnic and a huge case of 1664.

Last day in the office tomorrow – then off (drinking) until 4th Jan. So marry Xmas to all!
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• On the rugby side Tigers are hugely annoyed after our European opponents Calvisano moved the last pool fixture 30 miles to a smaller stadium after suddenly remembering that they do not have floodlights to accommodate a 3pm kick off. You can understand why Finbar loves the place – small things (like being able to see the ball) just are not important to them.
                  I think you get it wrong. They planned on Leicester not being able to see the ball so they would score less, not knowing where the ball was.
                  Then they realissed that the scrum half wouldn't see his fly half either and would play the whole match only with his forwards.
                  Then they looked at their own forwards.
                  And at the Tigers'.
                  And decided it was a bad idea to let the latter stomp on the former during the whole match.
                  So they changed the fixture.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Are you up early or just going to bed?
                      Both!

Comment

There are two sporting codes favoured by Gentleman Tamerlin. Rugby Union and Cricket. You qualify as a Gentleman for loving Union – but to be the definitive article you must love the smack of willow on leather too.

It’s not a game for casual viewing – but it is a great way to spend five days with a picnic and a huge case of 1664.
                        Thanks Havak, this is more or less what I am thinking about this game. Unfortunately, it is difficult, if not impossible, to watch at a cricket game in France and I doubt I would understand it fully should I see one live as I have nor the culture needed nor the necessary knowledge of the rules (I would not be surprised should you tell me they are also called laws).

I am sure this is a fascinating game and I am pretty sure that if, one day, I am earning enough money to subscribe to a satellite or cable TV network I will try to fill this lack. The problem is that I doubt I will, one day, earn enough money.

Last day in the office tomorrow – then off (drinking) until 4th Jan. So marry Xmas to all!
                        Yeah, blah, blah, blah, merry Xthing to all.

Comment

You can understand why Finbar loves the place – small things (like being able to see the ball) just are not important to them.
                          The whole saga is so typically Italian. I love them!

The man has triumphed over his disabilities. But he is a huge disappointment to me. As a young politician he was labour to the core. He then became one of the most right wing Home Secretary’s I can ever recall.
                          Like the Labour Party here, they thought lurching to the right was the safest way to be elected and stay in power. It's a worldwide problem.

What has happened to NZ – they were supposed to be resurgent when they came to us in the Spring.
                          Chris Cairns retired from Test cricket. They can't find a decent pair of openers or anyone to support Fleming in the top order. Or at least anyone who can cope with top class bowling. They had two good young batting talents - Sinclair and Vincent - last time they were here, but they played too much one day cricket, lost form and lost confidence, now they're wandering in the cricket wilderness. On top of that, they sort of choked against us. On the odd occasion when they could have put pressure on us, they opted to occupy the crease as a priority rather than score runs. On top of that, their bowling lacks penetration against top class batting. Vettori took one bag against us, but his stock bowling has dulled his edge. The young all-rounder Jacob Oram - I think he played against you - looks the goods, though.

I don’t mind to see good batting – but I’d rather see good bowling testing the lad. I have seen plenty of exhibition batting from Aussie touring sides thank you.
                          Put the ball on the spot, over after over, without variation, build and maintain pressure, and you've got a chance against him. As you will against any batsman in the world. That's the problem in world cricket at the moment - the batsmen are on top because there's a dearth of top class bowlers.

It's beyond me how a chap with his intelligence has failed to grasp and embrace cricket!

Ditto! I'll be away between Christmas and New Year. Someone had better stop this thread sinking like a stone!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

Thanks Havak, this is more or less what I am thinking about this game. Unfortunately, it is difficult, if not impossible, to watch at a cricket game in France and I doubt I would understand it fully should I see one live as I have nor the culture needed nor the necessary knowledge of the rules (I would not be surprised should you tell me they are also called laws).
                            They are, indeed, called laws. And the game is incredibly simple. As rugby is - or should be - incredibly simple. Until administrators get their bureaucratic mitts on them!

I am sure this is a fascinating game and I am pretty sure that if, one day, I am earning enough money to subscribe to a satellite or cable TV network I will try to fill this lack. The problem is that I doubt I will, one day, earn enough money.
                            When we visit you next year, I'll explain the game over a bottle of Absinthe.

Yeah, blah, blah, blah, merry Xthing to all.
                            Bah humbug! Actually, there's a film out in the cinemas here called "Bad Santa", with Billy Bob Thornton playing a drunken, foul-mouthed department store Santa who hates children. Every time I see a trailer for the film, Tamerlin springs to mind. And apparently there's a version out on DVD in the States, sort of a director's cut of the film. It's called "Badder Santa" and contains some of the more foul-mouthed Santa material cut from the film for cinema release.

Comment

It's beyond me how a chap with his intelligence has failed to grasp and embrace cricket!
                              Lack of exposure I guess, though you would be surprised to know the many things I have failed to grasp in my life.

Comment

• The game is simple - but the myriad terms used for aspects of play can really put off newcomers I would say.

I can just see Tamerlin coming to grips with the commentator saying "and thats the perfect googly from Warne".
                                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                                X