Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by finbar
    EDIT. I also note that Toulouse reversed the result against Saints. As they should have! Now it's fingers crossed for Wasps to do the same against Tigers!
    Stade Toulousain 22 - Northampton 12

Though it is an important victory for the Stade against a valliant English side the game was rather dull with Toulouse's backs unable to develop their game adequately. They lack the needed coordination and they really have to improve themselves as quickly as possible. Another problem is that Frédéric Michalack has been wounded and that its replacement, Jean-Frédéric Dubois, is not good at all. I have not seen him playing at his advantage since the beginning of the season.

[EDIT]I hate those xmas smilies, as if we could forget... [/EDIT]
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Finbar, you can visit Stardock's site if you want a detailed description of Altarian Prophecy and its features.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Me? Or ravagon?

I just tuned in to the broadcast of Leicester -v- Wasps on the BBC website. After 9 minutes, Leicester lead 13-0.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Well, I thought listening to the match was probably jinxing my good friend, the thoughtful and modest The Nose's team, so I went to bed. They still lost 27-35. That's it, Nose. They honeymoon is over.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Never back teams visiting Welford Road Finbar. The odds are against you.

Tigers saw off Wasps 35-27. Another great game. Another post match whine by DayGlo. Normal service all around.

Toulouse never got out of first gear but those forwards were just too much for poor old Saints. Toulouse played a little rocket on the left wing who looked dangerous every time he got the ball.

Besides, I think the carry on between them from the Lions trip is old hat now.
            Not for Lions fans. He should have been red carded in the ACT game (dangerous hat throwing) and we will never forgive him.

I quite like him actually – but lets not get confused and think he has his temper under control – he is a pot constantly waiting to boil.

Yes, we traditionally lift, but the performance fitted an odd autumn pattern.
            I just wish that one year you would lift against the ABs or France – and give us a break (sound of violins in the background?)

In other words, there was potential for the community to embrace the team. Which is the story of the ACT Brumbies.
            I’m looking forward to it. I wonder if there are four S14 class hookers in the country? Have NZ got the other new franchise?

You may have seen them, gloves with cut fingers ("mitaines") that are supposed to let you better grip the ball. On the hands of a prop. Lots of fun commenting these under the scrum.
            I almost feel sorry for the chap! Almost…
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
              Never back teams visiting Welford Road Finbar. The odds are against you.
              Were you there? I could've sworn I heard someone in the background of the commentary calling out something about Dorothy.

Tigers saw off Wasps 35-27. Another great game. Another post match whine by DayGlo. Normal service all around.
              They sounded scarily good in the first ten minutes. That's why I had to go to bed. Although I did emit a small cheer when someone passed it to VD on the wing and missed him completely.

Not for Lions fans. He should have been red carded in the ACT game (dangerous hat throwing) and we will never forgive him.
              Lions fans? Tish tosh.

I quite like him actually – but lets not get confused and think he has his temper under control – he is a pot constantly waiting to boil.
              I think he can control it. He did against England. He went very close to losing it but kept it. He was motivated to beat England. Which isn't to say he won't lose it in the future. Of course he will.

I just wish that one year you would lift against the ABs or France – and give us a break (sound of violins in the background?)
              Against the ABs, we have and will again. The French are different for some reason. There isn't the same pathological need. There isn't a history.

I’m looking forward to it. I wonder if there are four S14 class hookers in the country? Have NZ got the other new franchise?
              Who knows whether there are enough of various positions? Especially front rows. There will certainly be enough centres and backs. Tons of them. The Boks have the extra team. I remember reading that one of their current franchises - I forget which - will split into two. It's currently made up of two areas (provinces, whatever) who, historically, aren't the best of mates.

Comment

Toulouse never got out of first gear but those forwards were just too much for poor old Saints. Toulouse played a little rocket on the left wing who looked dangerous every time he got the ball.
                Yep, it's a pity the backs are not as good as the forwards.

The little rocket you are writing about is named Cédric Heymans and produces an outstanding performance everytime he is playing.

Comment

• You mean he looks like a banana? Mmmm. Anyway, didn't he play against the Wallabies? If he's the one I think he is, he's very careless with his boots in close proximity to his opponents' bodies.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                    You mean he looks like a banana? Mmmm. Anyway, didn't he play against the Wallabies? If he's the one I think he is, he's very careless with his boots in close proximity to his opponents' bodies.
                    Don't know what you are talking about...

Comment

• I was at the game. Whilst I did consider throwing the odd ‘Dorothy’s friend’ at Lawrence I eventually settled for shorter (and harsher) phrases.

Tigers were in total control for the first 30 mins. Then suddenly we tried to run the ball from our 22, a certain Mr Gibson tried to chip the oncoming Tom Voyce but got no height to the kick so a grateful Voyce plucked the ball and ran straight through for a try. Cue a wobbly period until two quickfire tries just before half time. The second half was tense and Tigers were well off the pace going forward making error after error in promising positions – Jonno was an angry man in the post match interview as the pack had to work hard in defence with so much turnover ball.

The French are different for some reason. There isn't the same pathological need. There isn't a history.
                      Then we must work to create one.

Heymans – that is the chap yes. Hasn’t scored a try all year in the French league – but looks like he should have scored loads.

I also enjoyed seeing an Irishman famed for dishing out mayhem packing down for Toulouse – one Trevor Brennan.
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Heymans – that is the chap yes. Hasn’t scored a try all year in the French league – but looks like he should have scored loads.
                        Are you sure he didn't score any try?

Cédric Heymans has lacked some luck saturday, he should have scored at least one try.

Whatever the case he has allowed so many players to score tries thanks to his runs and his creative play that he should actually be credited many ones.

I also enjoyed seeing an Irishman famed for dishing out mayhem packing down for Toulouse – one Trevor Brennan.
                        Trevor Brennan is a tough player I agree but he is also invaluable when comes the time to use the "big ones" in a hard fought game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

Don't know what you are talking about...
                          Ask Steve Larkham! Heymans went in with the boots when Larkham was on the ground trying to recover a loose ball.

Comment

I was at the game. Whilst I did consider throwing the odd ‘Dorothy’s friend’ at Lawrence I eventually settled for shorter (and harsher) phrases.
                            Four letters, starts with "c", ends with "t", with a "u" and an "n" in there somewhere might have had more impact than "Dorothy"!

Tigers were in total control for the first 30 mins. Then suddenly we tried to run the ball from our 22, a certain Mr Gibson tried to chip the oncoming Tom Voyce but got no height to the kick so a grateful Voyce plucked the ball and ran straight through for a try. Cue a wobbly period until two quickfire tries just before half time. The second half was tense and Tigers were well off the pace going forward making error after error in promising positions – Jonno was an angry man in the post match interview as the pack had to work hard in defence with so much turnover ball.
                            Mmmm. If I'd known they were going to struggle at any point, I'd've stayed up and listened. It sounded like a rout was in the offing.

Then we must work to create one.
                            Well, we've saved les grenouilles' backsides in two wars, I suppose there's a residual sympathy thing going on.

Comment

• More fallout from the Saints loss to Toulouse

Saints are not happy chappies by the sounds of things. Still at least they were taking it out on each other rather than endangering Anglo-French relations I guess ...

Incidentally, @ the "Frog and Rosbif". I wouldn't have guessed that such a place would be so named - although I guess with the sheer number of England-France events it'd probably do a thriving trade.

Originally posted by finbar

Well, we've saved les grenouilles' backsides in two wars, I suppose there's a residual sympathy thing going on.
                              We?
                              You're becoming an American now?
                              It's getting so hard to keep track of these things ...

Oh, sorry, let me clarify ... 'It'z gettin' so hard to keep track of theze thingz'.

Gracias Tamerlin. I'd already gone through reviews and their site ad but couldn't make my mind up.

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                              It's worth buying if you like scenarios or large maps with many races (you can have up to 7). I'm not sure it adds much more to the game. There are new ships, but I personally never saw/used them, so that didn't add much to the game or me. I'd suggest playing the original galciv first and but the expansion only if you feel like starting the campaign.

Just ordered it.

Incidentally GalCiv2 is sounding rather promising ...

Comment

• Are you sure he didn't score any try?
                                According to the English commentary team on Sky he scored ten tries last season – but none so far this season in the League. He may have scored in Europe?

Trevor Brennan is a tough player I agree but he is also invaluable when comes the time to use the "big ones" in a hard fought game.
                                That he is – but to liken him to Harrison, the lad I discuss with Finbar regularly, Trevor is pretty similar but with much less self control.

Ask Steve Larkham! Heymans went in with the boots when Larkham was on the ground trying to recover a loose ball.
                                The same Larkham who tackled Ben Cohen blatantly off the ball and got a mouthful of stud? I would have thought a little raking is nothing after that?

Four letters, starts with "c", ends with "t", with a "u" and an "n" in there somewhere might have had more impact than "Dorothy"!
                                There are kids in the stands. So it was six letters starting in “W” and ending in “r”. Only using the Cockney rhyming slang version for the kiddies sake. Same for Dawson.

Mmmm. If I'd known they were going to struggle at any point, I'd've stayed up and listened. It sounded like a rout was in the offing.
                                It was I think – take away a blood injury to Rowntree in the first half and that daft Gibson chip and it might have been a mountain for them by half time instead of just foothills.

Saints are not happy chappies by the sounds of things. Still at least they were taking it out on each other rather than endangering Anglo-French relations I guess ...
                                It’s very hard for me to feel sorry for them. That would be like Finbar empathising with a North Queenslander.

The Frog and Rosbiff is part of a national chain IIRC – I’m sure I went in one in Paris called almost exactly the same – and there were several others with similar names. The beer is quite good too.

No I know I may have mentioned before that I do not like the chairman of Saracens. It came as no surprise to me therefore that Kafer is about to be dismissed as todays newspapers are suggesting the Aussie Lardy boy, who joined them as a player-coach in 2003 after being dismissed by Tigers (thank god), will leave Vicarage Road soon.

That Saracens chairman, Nigel Wray, recently walked out of Sarries' 40-10 defeat by Harlequins. I laughed myself silly.

And Kafer has apparently been linked with the new Perth-based Super 12 franchise. Look out Perth – well drilled defence and no attack at all awaits your back line!!

Comment

Working...
                                X