Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ravagon

Ooohh, that'll go down well.

Maybe he won't be too put out given that he's heading off to Italy after his raison d'etre in this country came to an end. Yes indeed, sadly that was the final of 'Burke's Backyard' last Friday.
    Pity you had to undermine a sensible post with that final sentence. The most hated man in Australian television - within the industry, that is - finally got his comeuppance.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

He's really hated?
      Didn't realise that.
      He comes across as a complete ninny onscreen but that doesn't always translate into anything much.

Hope you won't be telling me that the same holds true for that great Aussie adventurer Russel Coight and his own onscreen ninny, Glenn Robbins?

Comment

Glenn Robbins is widely liked. Burke is a complete and utter a*sehole. Foul tempered, arrogant a*sehole. The turnover of staff at his production company is enormous. No one can put up with the treatment for long. Way back, when the series first started, 9 were going to produce it in-house. He wanted to produce it himself. The 9 execs were glad for him to do so. It meant they didn't have to deal with him on a regular basis. His chummy public persona is one of the great performances of all time.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

He doesn't even seem to remember the tour just before the WC - Wales-France-England was it not? (And before you say anything I just checked!
          Traditionally a TOUR requires you to leave your home country. I trust the difference is clear? England TOURED just before the RWC, NZ stayed at home for a series of games. Unless you consider the 2002 tour as being ‘just before the RWC’?

A schedule 'not faced by any other team in world rugby', I believe you stated?
          Did I? I remember saying it was a stupid and unnecessary tour but cannot recall using those exact words.

Incidentally I thought the ABs played superbly against France – but that is not relevant to their habit of taking soft tours.

*And if you take any of that too seriously we'll have to consider mounting an expedition to Welford road to find the lost artifact known as 'Havaks sense of humour'*
          Better hurry before the fork lift arrives to move it to the Soccer stadium down the road.

but the second row's gone from a real strength to, well, fair enough.
          Robinson’s fault – Grewcock was a fine number 2 to you know who but is no pack leader – and Steve Borthwick is no international whatever way you cut it. My options would have been Kay, Deacon and the lad Brown from Glaws – Kay the old man to bring through the two youngsters. We may yet see this as Borthwick was played off the park by Plank – and that must kill a career surely?

Wilko will obviously solve one of the problems if he ever reappears.
          He sat out a series where we really needed him because he has a deep seated bruise on his arm. What does that say about his hunger? No I think it’s time to look to youth – obviously I will push Broadfoot forward but there are other lads about. Picking a youngster might make Wilko rediscover his passion to play for the side as well.

Care to tell him that?
          I’ve said worse to bigger (and faster).

You've caused me to have to change a lifelong habit of jumping on the frontrunner's bandwagon!
          Glad to be of service.

I almost felt sorry for him. His departure under those circumstances must have been humiliating.
          I am very glad you used the word ‘almost’ there or I would have been worried about you.

France might be nice to drive around but you should really try to pull in south Wales in the summer months. You could criticise England to your hearts content and find a willing friendly audience to your point of view. Of course you will have to sit through hours of ‘how Wales should have beaten the ABs’ but it’s a small price to pay?
          Last edited by Havak; December 1, 2004, 06:21.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak

Traditionally a TOUR requires you to leave your home country. I trust the difference is clear? England TOURED just before the RWC, NZ stayed at home for a series of games. Unless you consider the 2002 tour as being ‘just before the RWC’?
            That'll teach someone living in Perth to take on someone living in the Northern Hemisphere! I think he was talking about the ABs' 2002 NH tour.

Incidentally I thought the ABs played superbly against France –
            They did too. But can they do it again? And when it counts?

Borthwick was played off the park by Plank – and that must kill a career surely?
            Well, Plank stitched up J****'s career after that steal in the Lions match, didn't he. J**** limped along for another couple of years, won the odd meaningless trophy and gave the game away.

He sat out a series where we really needed him because he has a deep seated bruise on his arm. What does that say about his hunger?
            What am I reading between the lines there? Or not even between the lines?

France might be nice to drive around but you should really try to pull in south Wales in the summer months. You could criticise England to your hearts content and find a willing friendly audience to your point of view. Of course you will have to sit through hours of ‘how Wales should have beaten the ABs’ but it’s a small price to pay?
            I've done Wales in the summer months. Had lunch with author John Le Carré's in-laws at their home there.

Comment

More from the deepest recesses of the dark cave that is Zinzan's mind:

Brooke tips NZ to overcome Lions

All Blacks legend Zinzan Brooke believes New Zealand have too strong a set-up to lose to the Lions on next year's tour.

The two sides are to play each other in a three-Test series starting in June.

Brooke told BBC Sport: "It'll be a hell of a tour, but I think the Lions will have their work cut out.

"The All Blacks showed in November that they have the players to beat the world's best. They'll be too good for the Lions... but only just."

He goes on to call Dan Carter arguably the best #10 in the world. After a couple of matches in the job. I think someone from the BBC pokes a microphone in front of Zinzan, records what comes out of his mouth, takes it back to the BBC where a linguist expert in gibberish translates it and posts it on the website.

Comment

Eddie has upset the Oz S12 coaches by calling S12 the one-day cricket of rugby. Laurie Fisher, new coach of the Brumbies, said: "Playing Test rugby is a change of mindset, not skills". Laurie obviously hasn't seen the Wallaby front row in action in recent times.

Comment

You know perfectly well that's the tour to which I was referring!
                  And I feel perfectly justified in using the phrase given that it took place a scant 6 months before the WC which is on a 48 month cycle.

Originally posted by finbar
                  That'll teach someone living in Perth to take on someone living in the Northern Hemisphere! I think he was talking about the ABs' 2002 NH tour.
                  Havak may have been a forward in real life but he now weaves with the grace and poise of a girly back! So good is he at skirting issues that I think he may've been named Erwin in his previous life.
                  I suppose he could've genuinely misinterpreted it, but I'd rate the chance as about as remote as that of Havak calling for a refill without using a straw to suck up the last tiniest bit of foam from the bottom of the glass (or pitcher as the case may be ) first.

[Edit: Yes Havak, I do indeed have (occasional) access to finbars hidden cameras! ]

In another matter, vitally important to life as we know it, I take back everything bad I've ever said about little George.
                  Well, some of it anyway.
                  He now throws his wholehearted support (I'm paraphrasing here) behind Perth's bid to host the next S12 team.
                  I choose to see this as vindication of the validity and quality of Perths bid rather as a cheap shot on his part against those never-sufficiently-hated Vics.

Whether it has any effect beyond causing the fly on the wall to bat an eyelid before falling asleep again mind you, is something else entirely ...
                  Last edited by ravagon; December 2, 2004, 03:20.

Comment

They did too. But can they do it again? And when it counts?
                    History stands firmly against them.

J**** limped along for another couple of years, won the odd meaningless trophy and gave the game away.
                    Yes Plank certainly killed his career – leaving him a bitter and broken man.

But Eales still got the losing skippers shirt after Sydney despite Plank’s best efforts.

What am I reading between the lines there? Or not even between the lines?
                    Oh I don’t think I hid it – I’m hugely disappointed that Wilko has sat out with the girliest of girly injury excuses when England really needed him (or at least his boot). A ‘Bruised bicep’ for god’s sake?

I've done Wales in the summer months. Had lunch with author John Le Carré's in-laws at their home there.
                    Did it rain?

I think someone from the BBC pokes a microphone in front of Zinzan, records what comes out of his mouth, takes it back to the BBC where a linguist expert in gibberish translates it and posts it on the website.
                    I wondered if you might have seen this. I have no problem with him picking NZ – I expect it from a patriotic Kiwi – but it contradicts things he himself said after Wales so you are spot on – with Zinny it is stream of consciousness stuff.

I think the Lions have an excellent chance myself – but then I am biased too.

Eddie has upset the Oz S12 coaches by calling S12 the one-day cricket of rugby

He is priceless – we must never ever let him retire.

And I feel perfectly justified in using the phrase given that it took place a scant 6 months before the WC which is on a 48 month cycle.

You are going to think I’m picking on you!

England v NZ at twickers (NZ tour) = November 2002
                    England v NZ and Aus (England tour) = June 2003
                    England v Aus at Sydney (RWC) = November 2003

SIX months between NZ tour and the RWC?

I suppose he could've genuinely misinterpreted it, but I'd rate the chance as about as remote as that of Havak calling for a refill without using a straw to suck up the last tiniest bit of foam from the bottom of the glass (or pitcher as the case may be ) first.
                    I simply have a different definition of ‘just before’ the RWC. And a different definition of six months and which side is the touring side too it seems.

I must track down those cameras though…

Now I am sure all you chaps are looking for the perfect gift for the good ladies?

try this
                    Last edited by Havak; December 2, 2004, 07:27.
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Oh I don’t think I hid it – I’m hugely disappointed that Wilko has sat out with the girliest of girly injury excuses when England really needed him (or at least his boot). A ‘Bruised bicep’ for god’s sake?
                      No, I know you didn't hide it. But what's the truth behind the "injury"? I've never heard of such an "injury" keeping someone out for so long. Were they keeping him for more meaningful matches? Like 6 Nations?

Now I am sure all you chaps are looking for the perfect gift for the good ladies?

try this
                      Mmmmm. Fair enough. And I'm passing around the hat to buy you a Christmas present with the choice coming from this lot.

Comment

Fortunately, my dislike for Xmas is now well known and I have came to an agreement with my family. To the exception of the brats, no presents...
                        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Good lord – Ebeneezer is amongst us!

Were they keeping him for more meaningful matches? Like 6 Nations?
                          It’s not the England way – my suspicion is the boy accepted a recommendation he should rest it and didn’t argue against it. Not best pleased with him – first he takes all J’s kudos for the RWC win and then he never plays again.

Taffys are our first game in the Six nations – in Cardiff. Wilko better get his motivation sorted for that one.

And I'm passing around the hat to buy you a Christmas present
                          Cheers Finbar I need some new rags for washing the car with.

Okay pop quiz time – who is this quote from?

“I don't think I had enough of a chance to prove myself. I would like to have had the opportunity of turning the game round, which I think I was capable of doing. The game was far from over at the time. If I was in a hole, I don't think I had enough of a chance to get out of it. It wasn't a true reflection of what I can do. They made a decision and I've always said I'd back the management up. I'm still very ambitious and the experience has not put me off. I've had time to reflect on the mistakes I made but I was trying to play positive rugby so I was surprised.

No prizes on offer.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

Frankly, this whole post has driven me to such a state of apoplexy that I can't see the keys in order to insert a single . Apart from that one, of course. Anyway, as ravagon points out, from next year I'll be able to pop across there on a whim. But next time you go - hire a car and drive west from Marseilles along the coast around to, well, the Spanish border. It's less flash than the stretch you drove, but there are some wonderful little towns.
                            Unfortunately that was probably our last trip overseas for a while. We just bought a house, and plan on having kids soon.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                              Fortunately, my dislike for Xmas is now well known and I have came to an agreement with my family. To the exception of the brats, no presents...
                              The brats should be the first ones excluded from presents!

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

Unfortunately that was probably our last trip overseas for a while. We just bought a house, and plan on having kids soon.
                                Talk to Tamerlin about the pluses and minuses of having têtards and you might change your mind about the second option.

Comment

Working...
                                X