• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spiffor
    Souldn't that be "our"? I thought you were a right-winger like Imran
    Exactly, a right-winger like Imran.

The 'Poly right has kinda split

Comment

• Imran's not a right-winger anymore than I am...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• But you are a right-wing lunatic nutjob, while Imran is only a right-wing nutcase
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

I don't think we are stupid enough to waste money by supplying this resistance. The prospects of the resistance are either to be crushed, or to become one of the many warring factions in an unstable Iraq.

Unless you have a serious source proving we finance the Iraqi resistance, I won't believe it.

(Selling weapons is another matter altogether, as we sell weapons to whomever buys)
          From my understanding, the resistance is being financed by Oil-for-Food money deposited outside Iraq. IIRC, most of the money was deposited in French banks.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

In the scheme of things, our direct bilateral relationship is more important than how we relate to each other in these 3rd world hellholes. Consider that each year we do $50 billion in direct business with each other, for instance. It would make more sense to increase this direct business rather than fight over 3rd world scraps.

If France could become an effective counterpole to the US, the basic arithmetic might change. But I think the counterpole option is pretty much a muddled fantasy.
            The French will push other things until it actually threatens the direct bilaterial relationship. Until that happens, the French will count on the $50B with the US plus whatever they can get elsewhere at the US's expense.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang

The French will push other things until it actually threatens the direct bilaterial relationship. Until that happens, the French will count on the $50B with the US plus whatever they can get elsewhere at the US's expense.
              I assume that the $50B refer to the trade between the US and France, which means roughly $25B of imports and the same amount of exports, and for both countries since the trade is balanced. So, you see that the US benefit as much of the trade than France.

As for whatever France can get elsewhere, since we are in a free trade world, largely promoted by the US, the competition is opened to everybody, including France and the US.
              Statistical anomaly.
              The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

• So, you see that the US benefit as much of the trade than France.
                Actually, France exports about $10 billion to the US more than it imports.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

Actually, France exports about $10 billion to the US more than it imports.
                  Link?
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X