No announcement yet.

Europeans Leaders are redfining their foreign policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allies are countries whose interests happen to coincide. Such things are only temporary occurences.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• pchang
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
        Allies support each other. Enemies undermine each other.
        Enemies fight each other. Rivals undermine each other. Bush's US and Chirac's France are rivals.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Also, rivalry in some fields can go together with shared interests in other fields. So it isn't just black and white, allies or enemies.
          Blah

Comment

• Chirac's actions are rather cynical, but not altogether based in fiction. He is trying to solidify Sunni support for France at the expense of the US. He can slag the Shiites all he wants, even though they are a majority in Iraq, because they are a minority in the ME.

I happen to believe that the Sunnis are helplessly disunited in any event -- see the Mideast peace process -- and that Chirac won't gain much by supporting the Sunnis in Iraq. But the policy is coherent, if you believe French and US interests diverge rather than converge (I think they converge, but that's only one man's opinion). Of course, the US takes a more overarching view of this, because it needs to.

Also, I'm trying to put on a Gaullist hat here... Even though other members of NATO besides the US and UK don't spend enough on the military, France spends an adequate amount. France can go along just fine with its non-US and UK NATO allies until those allies prove not up to the tasks that France has set out for them. Taking the law of averages, that occurrence is likely to happen Really Soon Now, but who knows when it will happen? It could take decades for the foreign policy of Chirac to be discredited.
            Last edited by DanS; November 7, 2004, 16:05.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro
              Unfortunately the fact that you moved geographically does not prove that you moved intellectually too, Drake
              In fact, I think the case can be made that he managed to leave his intellect behind

Comment

• At least I have one to retrieve...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Yes, it's sad that so many of your fellow right-wingers let theirs turn to dust.

Comment

• Originally written by DanS
                    But the policy is coherent, if you believe French and US interests diverge rather than converge (I think they converge, but that's only one man's opinion)

Care to elaborate why you hold that opinion?
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

Enemies fight each other. Rivals undermine each other. Bush's US and Chirac's France are rivals.
                      Yeah, it kind of reminds one of the trading "rivalries" between the French and British in the 18th Century.
                      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        Yes, it's sad that so many of your fellow right-wingers let theirs turn to dust.
                        Souldn't that be "our"? I thought you were a right-winger like Imran
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

• Care to elaborate why you hold that opinion?
                          In the scheme of things, our direct bilateral relationship is more important than how we relate to each other in these 3rd world hellholes. Consider that each year we do $50 billion in direct business with each other, for instance. It would make more sense to increase this direct business rather than fight over 3rd world scraps.

If France could become an effective counterpole to the US, the basic arithmetic might change. But I think the counterpole option is pretty much a muddled fantasy.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yeah, it kind of reminds one of the trading "rivalries" between the French and British in the 18th Century.
                            I can't remember when we shot at Americans ever since our geopolitical interests have started to diverge. Last I remember, we are still having joint military exercises and a strong cooperation among secret services.

Comment

• Spiffor, does it really matter if a Frenchman pulls the trigger on the newly manufactured anti-tank weapon in Iraq? WTF is France financing and supplying the Iraqi resistance?
                              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

WTF is France financing and supplying the Iraqi resistance?
                                I don't think we are stupid enough to waste money by supplying this resistance. The prospects of the resistance are either to be crushed, or to become one of the many warring factions in an unstable Iraq.

Unless you have a serious source proving we finance the Iraqi resistance, I won't believe it.

(Selling weapons is another matter altogether, as we sell weapons to whomever buys)

Comment

Working...
                                X