Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. I'm laughing because you guys are saying, "We are the conformists. We successfully conformed to the orthodox idea. So we win."

I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Tough to imagine such a diverse group of individuals agreeing

No. I'm laughing because you guys are saying, "We are the conformists. We successfully conformed to the orthodox idea. So we win."
      Well, when the orthodox idea works, provides a greater benefit than your idea to more people, AND protects individual rights, then I'd have to say the orthodox idea is probably the best idea.
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Yes there is no reason to non conform just because you wanna be a rebel. At the very least have decent ideas behind you.

Comment

• I do love folk that rebel simply to rebel.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Yeah, it can be entertaining crushing their rebellious dreams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

We have to start with this equation. For the producer pv=w. For the consumer pv=d. So w=d. c and ov have nothing to do with it.
              Desirability as in how much you desire a good , not how much you tend to buy it . ov is necessary because we tend to percieve increased value when the objective value is higher - as in a different value perception for a gold watch than a steel watch - when both took the same amount of work to produce . And the value tends to decrease in your eyes when you realise the cost is way highet than a normal watch , thus your valuation of "this is worth it" goes down .

For the producer , pv = w + ov , becsue he values his investment in it .

Satisfactory ?

Comment

• Another way to say this : I have something of value (anything , doesn't matter) . Now , the US government , in a fit of madness , decides to issue the country away on the stock market . The value of the stock rises or falls with the American economy ( ridiculous , I know , but bear with me ) . A person who owns this stock effectively owns a chunk of America .

Now , the American economy grows by 7 % , and American inflation is 3 % . Assuming the inflaiton adjusted return is 4 % , then has nto my money grown by 4 % ? Hasn't the entire pie grown by 4 % , instead of the pie just being redistributed ?

Is this not , then , the time value of money ? Has not the money grown ?

OK . Another way , then .

Imagine a country having a fledgling economy . The availability of capital is virtually nil , thus no business can start . It's growth rate is less than 1 % . Inverstors who could have invested have kept thier money with them , with the sum total of uninvested money being k . After five years , they barely have more than they started with .

Now imagine thae same thign getting a large infusion of cash/capital , equal to k . What happens ? A hundred businesses start . Half fail . And the rest make the growht rate skyrocket to 5 % . This means that it was the capital k that caused the growth , and the consequent growth of money . Now , they have considerably more than they started with .

What caused this difference ? The capital k and it's investment . Do you agree ?
                Last edited by aneeshm; October 11, 2004, 05:36.

Comment

• I'm off kidicious' ignore list; should I worry?
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• I am not sure that I understand the question. What is the meaning of *time value*?

Is it the value of something expressed in units of time ?

or

The value given by time to something ?
                    Statistical anomaly.
                    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

• You guys are totally wasting your time with a Kidicious thread. Didn't I give it the Official DanS Fvcked Up Certification right at the beginning? I can definitively say that he hasn't added anything of value in the preceeding 15 pages of posts, even though I haven't read them.

The only thing we have to know is that inflation + time value of money + risk premium = interest. Inflation + time value of money = government bond interest rate.
                      Last edited by DanS; October 11, 2004, 10:04.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Time is also giving value to inflation : without time inflation does not work.
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

• I now know why these kidicious threads get so anal - the concept of time being money is alien to him
                          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                            even though I haven't read them.
                            liar
                            The only thing we have to know is that inflation + time value of money + risk premium = interest. Inflation + time value of money = government bond interest rate.
                            no liquidity/risk premium for govt bonds?

Comment

• Originally posted by DAVOUT
                              Time is also giving value to inflation : without time inflation does not work.
                              You don't see that you are talking about a completely different type of value?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Floyd
                                Tough to imagine such a diverse group of individuals agreeing

Well, when the orthodox idea works, provides a greater benefit than your idea to more people, AND protects individual rights, then I'd have to say the orthodox idea is probably the best idea.
                                It's got nothing to do with agreeing. When you say something like "Everyone agrees with this so it must be right." Then you are a conformist because you are making the value judgement based on what the majority of people believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X