X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joncha
    No, I saw the photos.
    Oh.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• As an outside, straight, non-drug using social libertarian - I helped my wife heavily with her 170 page thesis (80 pages text) j- Asher's references are excellent. Asher pwns Giancardo. (After seeing his post, if I ever get in a historical argument with Asher, I will be VERY careful to document ).
      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• Asher can't PWN me, because my sources were better.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Fez, hairless baby aardvarks PWN you.
          Attached Files
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• No, I saw the photos.
            [I missed out ]

EDIT: Ended up not missing out

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo

I request this just be locked. What's the point?
              It's still open.

Your powers are weak.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Flip McWho

[I missed out ]

EDIT: Ended up not missing out
                Anyways, I must be getting to bed.. I don't know why I'm still up..

Comment

• Feeding the trolls

Comment

• That doesn't not make them interchangeable in terms of significance, in terms of how ingrained they might be in someone's genetics or biology, or in any significant way.
                    Who said anything about significance? I was refuting his example, whereby he didn't account for that in any case! Note my caveat a few posts up.

There are different levels of desire, and some desires are more easily controlled or eliminated than others.
                    It could be twisted around and said that its easier to resist getting into a relationship than it is to, for example, resist nicotine. When you get into the question of whether or not something is easier to resist, you immediately encounter your own subjectivity, something Mill was alluding to from On Liberty.

"The only part of the conduct of anyone for which he is amenable to society is that which concerns others. In the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign..."

So, in the strict sense, these two things are *comparable*, but they aren't equivalent or interchangeable in any signficant way.
                    As I said earlier, that is irrelevant as far as the state is concerned. Even classical utilitarians would refuse to work with the notion of comparable desires in the sense you are implying. Those that have run into problems and as such it is not taken seriously for a good reason. They call it consequentialism for a reason.

Oh, and Mill would agree with me; maybe you should go read him again.
                    Umm, I've studied Mill Sr and Jr for two years, while I'm no authority, in my more pretentious moments I might claim that I am in a better position to say who Mill agrees with .

I just don't think a thread where he is trying to share some personal aspect of his life is the place to be forcing such a debate. Everyone deserves a little space and deference here and there. Frankly, I think it was just a bunch of people who enjoy giving him a hard time--that's how it looks, anyhow.
                    You'll last about five weeks on the OT before the men in white suits take you away, and when you return you'll be as hardened as a marble statue of Mr T.

Well, I only interact in here as far as Mill's good name is concerned then. : )
                    Mill was good, but easily misunderstood. On impression I think you may have fallen into a consequentialist trap (though that is just my impression). Mill is not easily defined as such, it's healthier to say he was an early existentialist.

Seems the better part of valor is to not touch such threads with a 10 foot poll. The rare individual will (hopefully in a sincere way), and the poster should ideally learn that people will respond more when they post something that is true.
                    Seems you haven't grasped Mill's implications of human behaviour .

It's why it's so easy to troll you.

Hell, for the longest time even calling you an Argintinian would send you through the roof.

Asher can't PWN me, because my sources were better.
                    hardly. Shawnmmcc is completely on the ball here, my admiration of Asher's debating abilities has shot through the roof.
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Gian, when are you going to learn to take life less seriously? Just read through it and look at how pathetic it looks...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        Gian, when are you going to learn to take life less seriously? Just read through it and look at how pathetic it looks...
                        You think I take apolyton seriously? So how can you know for certain if I take life less seriously? Dude, to be honest.. I want to take life seriously because it is the only one I have. I want to get somewhere in life. I know you don't.. but that's just you.

Comment

• You can infer more from the words you write than what you actually just right. People can see you bawling and screaming at the other end.

I take life pretty seriously despite the fact I don't want to. But then again, what is the definition of 'getting somewhere'?
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• I live my life to the fullest if that is what you are talking about. I love to dance, go out with friends and other things. I'm not a workaholic.

Comment

• That's good...although what makes you think my objectives are any different?
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

• well, it's obvious, provost. it's because you don't want to get anywhere, but he does.
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X