U.S. Death Toll Passes 1000 in Iraq ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Only if those forces were withdrawn from Afghanistan circa Feb 2002.
    According to Graham, yes that's the case.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
      Yet posed the question as Presidential candidate thus implying the absolutely implausible idea that he could be president , he stated that knowing what he knows today would have invaded Iraq.

So what we are doing is comparing the decision making processes of a Presidential wannabe with those of the sitting dunce.
      Of course, even if we had invaded Iraq with months of greater preparation for the day after the fall of the Baath regime, the situation in Iraq would be very different.

I want to kick Bush out not cause he invaded- but cause he invaded and screwed up royaly.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap

Well, obviously we have been there more than a year, and yet we have not had even as many dead as we had in the 8 years of our involvement in Vietnam! Not to compare to our loses in the Civil War or WW2!

So 1000 dead is a meaningless number!
        1000 dead wouldn't be a meaningless number if just one of them was your relative/friend/or self.
        Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
          Another alternative would be to pull the troops out of the revolting major cities and let em go wacko while we control what goes in and out until they get tired of the insanity. They could never put together true military contest for our forces sitting safely in the countryside, and we would never let them threaten anyone else...
          This would be a costly and non rewarding alternative.
          Actually if they did that, this would show for once that iraq is not about making money.
          But the way it is, they try to stabilize the country and put an end to the war as soon as possible. Restoring order and building the ground for U.S. (and most probably european as well) companies to extract the green gold. Nobody would be interested in oil if it doesn't convert to lots of greenbacks.

Don't think you can argue that you'd have so many options to do, because you can really only try to restore peace as fast as possible. All your "alternatives" are and will always be pure hypothetical and just exist to satisfy your mind and cloud it to believe you have a choice...

Comment

• If you look at the relative charts you will see that the death toll has stepped up these last months. We're up for another peak in the violence, which comes at a much closer interval than the one between the April peak and the November peak. Violence is supposed to peak in November again (because of the US elections) but it is too high already.

Also think that during the last months, the attention of militants has turned to kidnappings and executions of foreign civilians.

Finally, when do you expect the violence to die off? There is no trend that shows any reasonable exit form the violence, so, for how long is this going to keep going? With 2,11 dead per day, in the first 10 years there will be a total of 7.500 dead US soldiers. Now this nuber will either be surpassed, so we'll have another Vietnam or it will be lower than that, so USA "wins", but at what cost? How will history judge this?
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell

Comment

• I expect the violence to simmer down once the Iraqi government gets an upper hand. I see that in a few months time. I do not believe there will be 7,500 dead US soldiers for the first ten years because I do not believe we will be there that long. This isn't another Vietnam (that's a bull**** statement because all the conditions are different).
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                I would be more supportive of just giving that money back to the people.
                And this is exactly what social programmes do
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Oh, on the "issue" of including fatalities from accidents and disease- well, we do for every single previous conflict, why wound't we for this one? When we say 600,000 Americans died during the civil war we rarely point out that probalby more than half of those died from typhoid, disentary, TB and whatever other nasty bugs swept throught the military camps.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• "Only 759" are combat deaths, according to The News Hour with Jim Leher, tonight. The two experts, a former general and a colonel, both said the situation is getting out of control in Iraq.

Apparently in Samara, the Ba'athists and the Islamists have created a local alliance. Despite what the Administration would have you believe, this is new. Such alliances are expected to spread to other rebel controled cities like Falluja and Ramadi and elsewhere. Not only this, but Ba'athist elements are now showing widespread coordination.

Bush has totally fubared Iraq.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo

I think that you liberals and leftists should stop celebrating the death of soldiers, and accept the fact that you were wrong about Iraq.

Damn you got me there -- because I'm a liberal, I lack any sense of decency and respect for other human beings' lives.

So I will be celebrating the grief and losses of the families and friends who have had someone they loved and cared about killed in Iraq.

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        "Only 759" are combat deaths, according to The News Hour with Jim Leher, tonight. The two experts, a former general and a colonel, both said the situation is getting out of control in Iraq.
                        Are they in Iraq right now? Are they on the ground? If not, they wouldn't know a damn thing.

[quoe]Apparently in Samara, the Ba'athists and the Islamists have created a local alliance.[/quote]

This already has happened in the past. It isn't new.

You are just acting so damn ridiculous.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

You are just acting so damn ridiculous.
                          Stick to the topic... AND NOT THE POSTERS. You will not be warned again... just restricted.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming

Stick to the topic... AND NOT THE POSTERS. You will not be warned again... just restricted.
                            Then tell people to stop attacking me around here.

Comment

I've been doing that as well... and one person has already been restricted tonight.

However, in most cases... YOU START IT.

So... STOP IT. or be restricted.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I didn't attack you, Giancarlo. Despite the fact we are diametricly opposed on most issues, I like you.

Comment

Working...
                                X