rape: a matter of opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vince278

Some colleges over here required the students to actually ask permission before taking each step from kissing to intercourse. I imagine that has been largely ignored (and even spoofed on Saturday Night Live) but if something happens and they didn't follow this then the lack of consent is implied.

Again this is silly. If a kiss "happens" that both wanted but neither asked for , have they both been assaulted?

Or are they working on the sexist assumption that only the man can be the more assertive one?

As I said before, requiring a positive assertion of consent at every step gets even more ludicrous if you factor in a person's right to withdraw consent at any time. If you are not ever allowed to assume initial consent from behavior or lack of negative response, why would you be allowed to assume the consent was continuing?

Have I been continually raped over the years? No woman has ever asked MY consent
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Sue 'em, Flubber!

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pyrodrew

You never know for sure whether you can trust someone, you can only believe you can trust them. Only the other person knows how trustworthy they will be to someone. And someone might be trustworthy today, but years later a relationship could go sour, she could turn bitter/hateful & betray that trust.
        If someone can't hold a civilized relationship with other people, or are too naive or stupid to be able to know character of someone they know deeply, then tough nuts to them.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

If someone can't hold a civilized relationship with other people, or are too naive or stupid to be able to know character of someone they know deeply, then tough nuts to them.

How old are you? ahh 20 . .. .. that explains that idealistic and totally naive attitude

A person can do everything "right", date for 10 years, be married for 10 more and then find out the person they are with is not at all ( or no longer) the person they thought they were.

And it is "tough nuts" when someone gets shocked by someone they have been with for 20 years and the relationship is in shambles but such people need not be either naive or stupid. Frankly its arrogant for you to say so.

I love Mrs. Flubber with all my being and I choose to trust and believe in her. But its faith and intellectually I always am aware that she is a totally independent human being and as such is CAPABLE of betrayal. I believe in her but I am not so arrogant to think that I have super powers of perception greater than all those other folks that have been surprised over the years.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• So, according to Corporal Ludd, I'm unable to hold a civilized relationship with anyone, and should never have sex.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Comment

• Gotta agree with Ludd here. If Kobe weren't so eager to get his freak on with a stranger he wouldn't be in this position. Period.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
                  Gotta agree with Ludd here. If Kobe weren't so eager to get his freak on with a stranger he wouldn't be in this position. Period.
                  Lets get this straight. So anyone engaging in casual sex should expect a rape charge??

Comment

• Yes, if they are rich.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.â€

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man​

Comment

• People shouldn't be convicted for rape for being stupid, gullable, trusting, naive or rich.

They should be convicted for rape when they rape.

Why the urge to lock up someone innocent?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

Lets get this straight. So anyone engaging in casual sex should expect a rape charge??
                        They shouldn't expect it, but they shouldn't get any sympathy if it happens.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

They shouldn't expect it, but they shouldn't get any sympathy if it happens.

I'd give no sympathy if his wife left him and took him to the cleaners OR if all his endorsement contracts dried up.

I WOULD be sympathetic to someone that faced a false charge of rape

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                            I WOULD be sympathetic to someone that faced a false charge of rape
                            I was once falsely accused. It happens more often than we think. False accusations make it more difficult for those who truly accuse.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                            X