X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to go Spain - aka The results of giving in to terrorist demands

End Headscarf Ban, Iraq Hostage Takers Warn France

By Miral Fahmy

DUBAI (Reuters) - An Iraqi militant group has kidnapped two French journalists and given the French government 48 hours to end its ban on Muslim headscarves in school, Arabic television station Al Jazeera said Saturday.

Jazeera identified the hostages as reporters George Malbrunot and Christian Chesnot. Last week, the French Foreign Ministry said the two men had gone missing in Iraq.

The channel aired a brief video showing what it said were the two journalists standing in front of a black banner bearing the name of the Islamic Army in Iraq. One man told the camera: "I would like to tell my family that everything is OK."

[...]

The Al Jazeera announcer said the Islamic Army in Iraq issued an ultimatum to France to abandon its "unfair and aggressive" ban on Muslim headscarves in state schools within 48 hours. It did not say whether the group threatened to kill its captives if France did not comply.

[...]

Activist groups have branded the headscarf law discriminatory and defended what they said was the religious obligation of all Muslim women to cover their hair.

Earlier this year, senior al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri lambasted France's ban on Muslim headscarves, saying in an audio tape that Paris was displaying "Crusader hatred" toward Islam.

[...]

I always warned that once you give in to terrorist demands, you legitimize the use of terrorist tactics in their eyes.

I always claimed that terrorism must be disclaimed inllegitimate and no demands must be ever met.

Some here have claimed that terrorism will stop once we take away its justification. I always warned, that terrorism must be stopped regardless of justification, because it will end up using as a political tool regardless of justification.

Some here have even claimed that terrorism is a legitimate measure because of the justification the groups exclaimed cause gives them. "Freedom fighting" it was called.

Well how is this any different?

These are just "poor opressed muslems" fighting against "european colonialist opression".

Next we will see anti-globalization activists kidnapping and executing people during WTO meetings. And this will also be labled "freedom fighting" against "evil capitalist opression".

as I always claimed:
    Terrorism is just another method of political bartering.
    It is wrong and should be clearly made illegitimate.

It should always be condemned. It should always be fought.

Demands by terrorists should never - ever be met. This only legitimizes terrorism as "a method that works".

The same people that use terrorism today to demand things which you think they deserve, will end up demanding what ever they think they can achieve.

STOP TOUTING TERRORISM NOW.

Well, at least it takes their eyes off of the US for a while.

Comment

Demands by terrorists should never - ever be met. This only legitimizes terrorism as "a method that works".

So if terrorist kidnapped a bunch of Palestinians and demanded Arafat step down from power or be killed, you would demand Araft state he would NEVER step down as long as Terrorists wanted that?

Or what about Reagan running from Lebanon after HIzbullah bombed the barracks and the CIA station?

The fact is terrorism, like bombing people, does have the effect sometimes of getting others to yield. Welcome to reality.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

They can go **** themselves.

There's no way we remove the headscarf ban in 48 hours, especially during the holidays
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

[appeaser name-calling]

[bizzare absolute session]

[appeal to patriotism]

[appeaser! terrorist!]
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Let's see how this plays out.

Comment

Cuz the Israeli method has worked so damned well.

What does this have to do with the Spanish conservatives lying to their people saying it was ETA that bombed the trains when they knew it was AQ?
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

wait...explain what this has to do with spain.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

What method would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                    What method would you recommend?
                    A more intelligent one. Think about it. Israel has been using the exact same methods for the last 56 years, and yet they still face terrorism.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

A more intelligent one.
                      You watch too much coverage of the presidential campaign.

"My opponent is doing the wrong thing. I will do the right thing, because my opponent is doing the wrong thing.

Comment

"My opponent is doing the wrong thing. I will do the right thing, because my opponent is doing the wrong thing.
                        its funny cause its true
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again for 56 years, and it doesn't work, why wouldn't you try a different approach?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

A more intelligent one. Think about it. Israel has been using the exact same methods for the last 56 years, and yet they still face terrorism.
                            Well, France actively worked against the United States regarding Iraq, is not militarily involved, yet is still facing terrorists trying to dictate policy to them.

Comment

Well, France actively worked against the United States regarding Iraq, is not militarily involved, yet is still facing terrorists trying to dictate policy to them.
                              Because French Muslims claim they're being oppressed? Interestingly, terrorists entire agenda isn't Iraq.

Comment

Working...
                              X