Activists protest against chess as 'racist'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eli
    Not a single Jewish mod? You antisemites!
    What about solver?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Okay they can keep playing, then. If they look sufficiently annoyed about the whole thing. Else it's down on all fours!!

Comment

I demand equal rights for Asians and Native Americans.

We need two extra colors in chess, red and yellow. And to prevent any upsets over anyone getting the first move, everyone should move simultaneously!
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

In other news, having the queen dominant in a deliberately unrealistic game is a clear example of male supremacism.

And chess promotes solving conflicts with violence instead of negotiation. It's clearly a danger to world peace.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Play Chinese chckers, lots of colors. Then again that name will not do...
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

What about solver?
              Oh.

Never mind then.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

who voted yes?
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

paiktis22

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                    who voted yes?

Me!!!

Why? Because of several reasons:

1) I believe back in the days as they invented the game, racism was more common, so they might have made the game racist back then... I don't believe there's anything racist in the game today

2) Why is it that white always has to start? And why is it always white and black? Couldn't it just be 'random' colors, were it could be blue against red or whatever? Thinking about it, it does seem racist somehow...

3) I hate chess
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Re: Activists protest against chess as 'racist'

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      A group of activists , calling themselves the 'Society for racial equality" , have lodged their protest , saying that chess is racist in that the two opposing sides being named black and white and giving white the first move is racits and promotes racism indirectly .

WTF is it with these crackpots ? Chess is racist ? I'd say it's a case og getting too psyched up over nothing .
                      I've never really understood this kind of protest. They want to draw attention to the little things about society that maybe affect the way people think about blacks, but all it does is make them, and the rest of us, seem like loons.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I protest against the activists as "lunatic".
                        OTOH, in Go the black player begins. And since the white player gets a half-point handicap, we can all rejoice at the marvels of such an egalitarian board game.
                        Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

I bet that Albert Speer is one of the people who voted YES.

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                            2) Why is it that white always has to start? And why is it always white and black? Couldn't it just be 'random' colors, were it could be blue against red or whatever? Thinking about it, it does seem racist somehow...
                            Custom chess sets do have different colors.

Or you could just go play Halo.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

1) I believe back in the days as they invented the game, racism was more common, so they might have made the game racist back then... I don't believe there's anything racist in the game today

I believe you don't have a clue. Chess comes from India.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

The origins of Chess actually aren't entirely clear.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X