Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rallying Point: Liberty Island - Refugees from Kidatopia, report!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Solomwi

So you dispute the notion?

Uhh, I used to work for one who did just that. There's a lot of money to be made in making a hole or ditch where there was dirt, Kid.
    Yes, you worked for him. That's how he became rich. He didn't become rich by digging the ditches himself.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• WhoooHoooo! Solo....first thing we need your skills for tho, is to map the island thoroughly....we'll need both a topographical map (unless we can find one to bring), and a copy that breaks the island down into five-acre plots for when we're ready to take it to the next step.

After that tho, hail yes!

Kid, I'm a nominee....I've not even been seconded yet. There's no guarantee that even if I AM seconded, I'll win the election.

Until then, there's ditches that need digging, fish to be caught, domes to be assembled, water sources to be found, maps to be made.....in short, it's not going to be the case that I'll be diligently digging away while everyone else is sitting around watching me work.

Now as long as you're here, how 'bout grabbing up one of our homemade shovels and giving me a hand, or get back to Kidatopia and enjoy your unlimited power....

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Why don't you just come over to my house. I have plenty of work for you to do, and I won't pay you much at all.
        '

See he still doesn't get it-- You can only "exploit" me at a wage I'm willing to take.

When Vel digs a ditch for anyone other than himself, we have to give him enough whether it be bananas, electricity, fish or whatever to make it worth his while. If he figures two hours to dig the ditch and that he could gather 8 bananas in that time, someone better be willing to pony up 9+ or he will go gather bananas-- Thats the market at work
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Fields will not be "communal" but will operate on good capitalistic principles. If everyone just so happens to own equal shareholdings in LCC or whatever entity owns those fields,

So fields are actually going to be communal, but you're just going to pretend otherwise.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Solomwi
            There need be no struggle, as the ditch digger will be the first one to smuggle in a backhoe, and he'll probably get rich digging.
            What do you use to pay him? Some sort of fugal growth?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
              Oh...and for clarification....we're not revolutionaries...we're refugees.

There IS no government on this island, so we're not replacing anything.

Rather, we're building something from scratch.

-=Vel=-
              Obviously you are not though, being burdened by the social conciousness of the past- in essence you are a bunch of utopians seeking to create a new society- a revolutionary act.

But the dictatorship has begun. After all, why is Vel the only one setting goals here? Where are the other voices?
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What do you use to pay him? Some sort of fugal growth?

No. The ditch digger gets to be the Big Kahuna. It always works like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                  '

See he still doesn't get it-- You can only "exploit" me at a wage I'm willing to take.

When Vel digs a ditch for anyone other than himself, we have to give him enough whether it be bananas, electricity, fish or whatever to make it worth his while. If he figures two hours to dig the ditch and that he could gather 8 bananas in that time, someone better be willing to pony up 9+ or he will go gather bananas-- Thats the market at work
                  Does Vel have a monopoly in ditch digging? Does he not set his own price?
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
                    * Solving the food problem (one crop, maybe two to get a surplus built up), plus working to increase our catch.
                    Nah, not so fast.

Your first problem will be water. Suppose there's no surface water on the island you fled to. Now what?
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• Flubber, an excellent idea, even if I believe that you're overstating the latitude that Kid will grant us upon leaving.

I would dearly hope you'd be right, but if it is indeed to be the "worst case scenario" I am uncertain that we'd have access to all the cool toys you mention.

If we CAN gain that sort of access, then so much the better, and further, I can see no reason why both plans can't be operating at the same time. Being that the goal OF the governing body is to establish the framework FOR a thriving capitalist system, LCC can be our first (so far) great experiment to that end.

A barometer, if you will. Based on your experience (and the experience of others who form businesses), this will provide badly needed information about what changes need to be made or implemented in order to facilitate the growth of the system we seek to design.

And GePap, I believe you posted slightly too quickly....

-=Vel=-
                      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

In LCC I am issuing 100 shares to Flubber-- In return for those shares I am providing

2 dozen egg laying chickens
                        3 roosters
                        2 pair of rabbits
                        2 shovels
                        1 pickaxe
                        I maddox
                        2 rakes
                        1 hoe
                        2 watering cans
                        200 feet of rope
                        2 hammers
                        1 bucksaw
                        6 10' x 20' tarps
                        You know what you are missing?

Chicken feed.

Comment

'

No. Vel said he wants to be exploited. No wait. He said you ALL want to be exploited. My offer stands. If you all like being exploited so much, I won't pay you any more than you want to be paid. You can work for nothing if you like exploitation so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo

So fields are actually going to be communal, but you're just going to pretend otherwise.
                            Sort of--Agriculture will initially work best a s a monopoly and most smart business folks would want to own a piece of a monopoly. we may not all have equal shareholdings, and some folks may decide they are better off to run their own business completely.

As the founder of the LCC I issue the shares for now but people will only buy in if they perceive equal value. Will LCC be communal? Perhaps or perhaps not. People will decide to invest or not. and then once invested , they will weigh employment opportunities offered by it with other opportunities. If LCC offers 8 bananas an hour and Velco electricity is offering 10, then LCC will have trouble attracting labour ( whichj is scarce)
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Yes, you worked for him. That's how he became rich. He didn't become rich by digging the ditches himself.
                              No, he built his business by digging the ditch himself. When it got big enough to buy another hoe, he hired someone else. By the time I got there, it was a multimillion dollar business and he needed another engineer, so he made me pretty well off, as well. I assure you, I didn't mind being exploited.

Bottom line is that people needed ditches, and he was able to provide them, so he got rich.
                              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

If he figures two hours to dig the ditch and that he could gather 8 bananas in that time, someone better be willing to pony up 9+ or he will go gather bananas-- Thats the market at work
                                Or cut down all the banana trees except those which belong to the prospective employer-- That's capitalism at work.
                                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X