Who owns Hans Island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who owns Hans Island?

Some of you may already be familiar with this, but Canada and Denmark have both claimed sovereignty over the very tiny Hand Island between the northern tip of Greenland and Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic. Last year Demark brought a Frigate to the Island and landed troops who raiesed a Danish flag on its frozen soil. I bring this up now because Canadian PM Paul Martin is currently visiting the North partially to reassert Canadian claims to the Arctic.

IQALUIT, Nunavut (CP) - Paul Martin used the rugged Arctic landscape as his backdrop for reaffirming Canada's territorial claim over the North for generations to come.

"One of the responsibilities of government is to protect the sovereignty of the land - to ensure that the sovereignty of land is going to be there for generations of Inuit and Canadians to come," the prime minister told residents at a high school gymnasium on Wednesday.

The most well known dispute over Canadian territory is Hans Island, as I said before, which Denmark also claims.

The Vikings have returned to Canada and are trying to take over Canadian territory! They have not come in the traditional long-boats, but in a modern, ice-strengthened frigate. This past summer, the Danish government sent the frigate Vaedderen to patrol the waters between the northwest corner of Greenland and Ellesmere Island. The Danes have regularly been sending warships to this area for quite some time now. This year's voyage is notable for where the vessel sailed and what it did. In a dispute of which few Canadians are aware, the governments of Canada and Denmark contest the ownership of Hans Island, a small island located at the northernmost tip of western Greenland. It is a small and almost insignificant island that shows up on few maps. Canada has always maintained that it is Canadian. Because the warship sailed into the disputed waters surrounding the island and may have landed troops on it, the Canadian government took the step of issuing a diplomatic protest to the Danish government.

Before Canadians see this as a return of the attacking, pillaging Vikings, the issue needs to be put into perspective. The ownership of the island is a relatively unimportant issue. The island has no resources and is located in one of the most inhospitable regions of the globe. Its most profound impact will be to produce a minor change in the boundary line between Canada and Greenland. Then why worry? The worry arises when considering the broader ramifications of the dispute. First, Canadians need to be concerned about the precedent that will be established by an unfavourable resolution of this dispute. Most Canadians may believe that the territorial integrity of Canada is complete and without challenge. This is not true. There are now two other current boundary disputes (not counting Hans Island) and one potential boundary dispute in the Canadian north. The United States still maintains that the Northwest Passage is an international strait and not internal waters as Canada claims; and the northern maritime boundary between Alaska and Yukon is disputed. The possibility also exists that Canada and Russia may have overlapping claims for the continental shelf in the high Arctic. But since Canada has never bothered to ratify the United Nations Law of the Sea Convention, it has yet to determine the northern limits of its shelf! Thus, it is not yet known if a dispute exists. Given the importance of precedence in international law, the unfavourable settlement to Canadian interests of any of these disputes will have ramifications on the others. If Denmark wins its case, other states may come to regard the Canadian ability to protect its northern interests as weak.

I think this is an interesting issue, especially as it concerns Canada's ability to control its northern territories. As is stands now, there isn't much up there to be concerned about, and consequently Canada has little to no ability to not only control but even to monitor what goes on up there. And as many have sugegsted, with a changing climate and the prospects of natural resource discoveries up there, the place might become more hospitable and more profitable to own, which will likely lead to more claims on the territory from countries like Denmark, Russia and the United States (although to a lesser extent). Currently, Canada has no heavy icebreakers in its Navy, and therfore no military access to much of the Arctic, while Denmark has four and can easily access most of it.

Will this lead to a militarization of Canada and the north? I would think that it would have to if Canada is going to assert sovereignty and maintain control of the area, especially as it becomes more lucrative. What does everyone think? And ultimately, who owns Hans Island?

I'd be interested to hear what Danes think about this, as we don't get that point of view in the Canadian media... to me it seems like Denmark has a strong claim...

RE: Who owns Hans Island?

Han, duh.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Canada routinely runs soveriegnty patrols with the military and the Canadian Rangers in the high Arctic. I rather doubt it's going to lead to a militarization of the north, but I could potentially see us stepping up the number of patrols.

And what precisely is this strong claim you see on Denmark's part?
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
        Canada has a stronger claim? Why?

Not asking because I'll dispute it, but because I have absolutely no idea how matters like these are settled or who has the strongest claim. I was aware of the border problems, but as usual, technical details aren't too popular in mainstream media. Ah well.

First we take Hans Island

Then we take Toronto!

Comment

Canada routinely runs soveriegnty patrols with the military and the Canadian Rangers in the high Arctic. I rather doubt it's going to lead to a militarization of the north, but I could potentially see us stepping up the number of patrols.

Well, both claims are weak, but Denmark can get there more easily, it seems to be closer to Greenland, and Greenland Inuit regularly use the Island as a lookout point when they are hunting.

The point is, Canada claims it, Denmark claims it and uses it. Plus, Denmark is clearly more willing to exert physical sovereignty over it.

And sovereignty patrols in a dinky coast guard outfit are lame. Canada needs to be able to bring real force up to it (not to fight) if it wants to make any real claim. Currently, we are unable to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk

Canada has a stronger claim? Why?

Not asking because I'll dispute it, but because I have absolutely no idea how matters like these are settled or who has the strongest claim. I was aware of the border problems, but as usual, technical details aren't too popular in mainstream media. Ah well.

First we take Hans Island

Then we take Toronto!
            Honestly, I couldn't say. I just wasn't sure where he got the idea that Denmark had a strong claim. Maybe Denmark does, but I didn't get anything like that from the article.
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

Honestly, I couldn't say. I just wasn't sure where he got the idea that Denmark had a strong claim. Maybe Denmark does, but I didn't get anything like that from the article.
              Its not a strong claim, stronger is more accurate, just based on the fact that Danes are the only people who go there.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we could put force up there, we just don't bother. We operate a base on Ellesmere Island, which is just as remote. Frankly, if Denmark wants it that bad, I don't care. The article is right about the precedent, though. Obviously a diplomatic solution would be best.

Comment

I wonder if a Canadian takeover means the Iniut will have to apply for Canadian working visas when they go fishing around Hans Ø

Comment

Re: Who owns Hans Island?

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                    Currently, Canada has no heavy icebreakers in its Navy, and therfore no military access to much of the Arctic, while Denmark has four and can easily access most of it.
                    I find this incredible that Canada has no icebreakers. Do they simply rely on the United States for these services.
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

I'm pretty sure we could put force up there, we just don't bother. We operate a base on Ellesmere Island, which is just as remote. Frankly, if Denmark wants it that bad, I don't care. The article is right about the precedent, though. Obviously a diplomatic solution would be best.
                      According to the article, Canada has no ice breakers in its Navy, which makes it very difficult to get up there, while Denmark has four. Like this one:

Even more troubling is the condition of the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) ice-breaking fleet. It is very professional and one of the most highly trained fleets in the world, but it is small, aging and drastically underfunded. Unlike the Danes, none of our naval vessels are ice-strengthened, thus only the Coast Guard's icebreakers can actually voyage to the region surrounding Hans Island. The current inventory of CCG icebreakers are: one heavy - Louis St. Laurent built in 1969 (rebuilt 1988-92); four medium - Pierre Radisson (1978), Sir John Franklin (1979), Des Groseillers (1982), and Henry Larsen (1987). Compounding the limited number of vessels is the fact that the operational budget of these vessels has been continually reduced in the past decade to the point where the Coast Guard cannot operate these vessels all year round.

Comment

Oh, and from a quick Google search, it seems as though the Danish and Canadian visitors to the island have left Gammel Dansk schnapps and whiskey to each other on the island. It's nice to see relations remain amicable.

Comment

It seems to me, if we have 4 ice-breaking warships and the Canadians have none, we should just take over the entire NW Passage and be done with it.

Comment

I own Hans Island.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                              It seems to me, if we have 4 ice-breaking warships and the Canadians have none, we should just take over the entire NW Passage and be done with it.
                              A) We have ice breakers, it's just that our navy doesn't have any heavy ice breakers. Our Coast Guard does, though.

B) While not heavily armed, we've got enough to obliterate your four ice breakers in the NW Passage if we wanted to. It's not the 16th century - you don't need ships to project power.

Comment

Working...
                              X