Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americans: If the UK had a supreme court..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans: If the UK had a supreme court..

Police officers and staff could face dismissal if they join the British National Party (BNP) under a new policy agreed by senior officers.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) said the policy was unanimously endorsed at a Chief Constables' Council meeting this month.

The policy applied to membership of bodies in conflict with the force's duty to promote race equality, it said.

But the BNP says it is a legal party, and that Acpo's policy is undemocratic.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Please for the time being ignore whether you or anyone else agrees or disagrees with the BNP's policies. Create a different thread if you wish to discuss those.

But if threatened with the sack for one's political beliefs, surely you Americans could take this issue to a higher and higher court? What would be found?

This just seems anti-democratic, and dare I say it, fascist.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

America doesn't like racists, sorry.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's like being banned from the American police force for voting for Nader..?
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

What exactly is the BNP for those of us without a PhD in foreign political acronyms?

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
          It's like being banned from the American police force for voting for Nader..?
          I don't think racism qualifies as "political beliefs"...

ixnay: think neo-nazis
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
            What exactly is the BNP for those of us without a PhD in foreign political acronyms?
            And you're an Editor...? Look at the first line.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

As long as you don't taunt minorities joining a 'racist' political party is no grounds for dismissal from a government job. At least not in the US and it shouldn't be in the UK.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Comment

At least not in the US and it shouldn't be in the UK.
                  Cheers Imran, I wonder how they reckon they can get away with this.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

The British National Party or BNP is a nationalist political party in the UK which wants to stop immigration (especially of non whites) and with draw the UK from the EU in order to protect the UK's national sovereignty.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I wonder how they reckon they can get away with this.

I've noticed that the US has a much more open idea of what free speech should entail. A lot of European countries (especially Middle European countries) believe the ideas of the US on this matter go too far.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I could get fired from my job if I give support to a violent overthrow of the United States government. In fact, I had to sign a document stating that I've never attempted a violent overthrow of the United States government. Obviously if I gave money to Al-Qaeda then I'd be in violation of my terms of employment, but AFAIK I'd also be in violation if I gave money to the KKK or attended KKK rallies or whatever, and the BNP is a British analog of the KKK.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

The BNP is a legitimate political party, and nowhere near as extreme as your KKK.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I've noticed that the US has a much more open idea of what free speech should entail. A lot of European countries (especially Middle European countries) believe the ideas of the US on this matter go too far.

Strange it is, that men should admit the validity of the arguments for free discussion, but object to their being "pushed to an extreme;" not seeing that unless the reasons are good for an extreme case, they are not good for any case.

Comment

I'd also be in violation if I gave money to the KKK or attended KKK rallies or whatever

Actually you wouldn't. AFAIK, the KKK does not agitate for a violent overthrow of the US Government.

Comment

Working...
                              X