Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linda Rondstadt fired for supporting Michael Moore! What about freedom of Speech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by debeest
    I'm insulted by the implication that my thinking is habitually knee-jerk.
    Well... you did say

Another performer probably could have gotten up on stage and expressed support for Hitler or the Klan or one of the US-supported dictators, and would not have gotten similar ill treatment.
    If you truely believe that...

Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I don't care if it's Vegas or not, if I own a bar and the band I hire to play that night says something I agree with, but my patrons don't and walk out, I'm sure as hell going to fire the band and kick them out of the bar.

They are costing me money, even though I agree with them. My bar is not a political forum, it's a place to sell alcohol and listen to music.

Or, in the case of Vegas, to suck the money out of the patrons, which I can't do if some daffy "celebrity" makes comments my patrons disagree with.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• for the record, I have zero interest in this subject...

I just wanted to say right-wingers suck.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I'm laughing because we are arguing about a has-been singer. One hit in the last 30 years and it was a duet from a Disney movie......

ACK!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming

--- People come to Vegas to have fun... ---
            Then why do they go to Linda Rondstadt concerts?
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• You're right, to me, they are mutually exclusive.

ACK!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                There is no accounting for taste... Hell, people still go see Wayne Newton
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Who?
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

, yet again

I'm not talking about the proprietor, patrons, or the bookers, I'm talking about Sikander. Your continuing to bring up the specifics of this incident, which are NOT what I'm addressing in my comments to Sikander.

I'll phrase it another way, and I'll use plumbing, since then you can't get caught up in the politics sillyness. According to Sikander, a singer shouldn't do anything but sing, as that's all they're experts on. But singers don't just sing "la la la," they express things in their songs--be it love, politics, or plumbing. So if she wrote a song about plumbing, presumably that would be okay, but if she talked about it, suddenly her message is meaningless. My question is, why? The only reason that would be is if one doesn't care about the expression in the songs at all, which would make me wonder why one would even bother to listen to them in the first place.
                    amazingly, I agree . Music is often political. So are they not allowed to say something political before opening a song?

Comment

the first time I have agreed with you

Comment

Who?
                        He had a prominant role in the James Bond Movie- License to Kill

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          I'm insulted by the implication that my thinking is habitually knee-jerk.

Then I suggest you grow thicker skin .
                          I didn't say I was all whiny about it. I said it was insulting. Somebody had said it was not. I originally noted it because I think that a mod, if not everyone else, should make an effort to discuss things intelligently and constructively rather than just insulting those who disagree with him.

Comment

Look at this thread... obviously someone cares what they think.
                            Because there's a whole industry out there devoted to telling us every little aspect of their lives.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Because there is a demand for that information.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The boycott (such as it were) here wasn't to get Rondstadt fired, even though that is what happened, but to express displeasure of her opinions by the audience.
                                But they did so by violence and vandalism.

I haven't heard about this Tom Sellek thing.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X