Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linda Rondstadt fired for supporting Michael Moore! What about freedom of Speech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Because there is a demand for that information.
    So celebs should be forgiven in thinking that we "little people" care about their opinions. I mean, it's not like they aren't paid millions of dollars to endorse products or anything just because their association with the product would help increase sales . . . oh, wait. The fact is, many, many people care deeply about the opinions of their celebs. Hell, if they didn't care, why do they keep electing celebs to public office?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Because it's a minority of people who care deeply about celebrity opinions. The majority of us could care less, but have to deal with it.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• But it's not an insignificant minority. And Arnie's opinions seem to be well supported by many here, so . . .
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• It's still a minority. And Arnie's opinions are as well supported as Kerry's. He's a politician who ran for office, so his opinions are actually important.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
            You wouldn't give money to a political party you disagree with,
            You would if you were in a Union. Not that you would have a choice in the matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              He's a politician who ran for office, so his opinions are actually important.
              No, he's a celebrity who ran for office, thereby becoming a politician. And he's still a celebrity.

Comment

• I'm not quite clear on the dispute between you and Imran, che...

Comment

• Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                  You would if you were in a Union. Not that you would have a choice in the matter.
                  That's kinda like buying a product and therefore giving money to politicians you don't agree with. It may be the case that you don't like how the union donates to political causes, but unions give their money to politicians who support working people and their needs. You may be a solid Repug, but it may be in your interests for the union to support Democrats despite your wishes, so that you can have a decent minimum wage and health care. Those are union issues, so the union has a perfect riht to spend money supporting them.

Comment

• GengisFarb - 7.5/10. You got a bite, but it wasn't perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      I'm not quite clear on the dispute between you and Imran, che...
                      What!?! Can't you see the clear and concrete points of difference between the Siddaqui-ist position as opposed to the correct positions of chegitizism!?!

Comment

• No, he's a celebrity who ran for office, thereby becoming a politician. And he's still a celebrity.

If he's running for office or in office, then his views matter and are important. Otherwise, they don't matter worth a damn. It is just as important as my neighbor's views on things.

And I think you made a typo. You obviously meant the 'incorrect positions of chegitizism' .

Comment

• In other vindictive loony news.

Carlos Delgado, first baseman for the Toronto Blue Jays is expected to be the subject of heckling when the Jays visit the Yankees starting tonight.

Delgado, who opposes the war in Iraq has quietly refrained from standing during the playing of "God Bless America" as an act of protest. He hasn't made a big deal out of it, and just retires to the bench during the seventh inning stretch.

Critics have labelled Delgado "un-American" despite the fact he is Puerto Rican and plays for a Canadian team.

I happen to like Delgado, he's a great guy and is popular in this city. I've had the pleasure of seeing him play a number of times. Even some of his rabidly pro-war team mates have no problem with his actions, but we'll see what happens tonight.

Only feebs vote.

Comment

• he is Puerto Rican and plays for a Canadian team.

That's more than enough reason to heckle him right there.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Is Aggie trying to imply that Puerto Ricans are not in fact American or is it simply "un-American" to work in Canada?
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava

I think it says something about the right wing in general. When someone expresses a liberal viewpoint, they must be punished. But you don't see pro-Bush celebrities being attacked for their viewpoints. I guess liberals have more respect for people than the right wingers do.
                                From that right wing rag Wall Street Journal. The oppressed conservatives in Tinsel Town.

Rebels with a Cause

Rebels With a Cause
                                Are Hollywood Republicans on the verge of a big break?

BY BRIDGET JOHNSON
                                Wednesday, July 21, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

HOLLYWOOD--It might have been the first premiere not intended for the public: John Kerry topping the credits and John Edwards in a supporting role, the cast rounded out by A-list actors who hopped into the fund-raising limelight to prostrate themselves at the feet of the most culturally liberal presidential ticket in history.

After Whoopi Goldberg wowed the Democratic crowd with locker-room musings on the alternate meaning of our president's name and Mr. Kerry scooped up a foot locker full of entertainers' cash, eyes were rolling outside New York's Radio City Music Hall. Somewhere in a La-La Land far, far away, in Hollywood and across the outlying Valley hamlets, everyday actors, writers, directors, producers and crew members dreamed of the day when the world would see that not everyone in the entertainment business lives to choke--gag--on his own foot.

These minorities, these aliens too often undocumented, these artists sorely underrepresented at loudmouthed fund-raising galas are better known as Hollywood Republicans.

Along with not succumbing to the casting couch and not dating your co-stars, one of the unwritten rules in Hollywood has been not coming out of the GOP closet. Actress Emma Caulfield ("Darkness Falls") was slammed when she said she would campaign for Elizabeth Dole. "I would never fully admit to being a Republican in this town," she later told Premiere magazine. "I want to work."

So what's a Republican to do in Hollywood, where you want to create entertainment for the masses and not a political statement tailor-made for liberal elite, or just want to safely say "I like Bush" (not in the Whoopi sense) within 50 feet of a producer? Will you just end up Bambi to a studio Godzilla?

According to actor Mark Vafiades, president of the Hollywood Congress of Republicans (hollywoodrepublicans.com), Hollywood Republicans do suffer discrimination, sometimes losing work for their political views. "We hear the stories all the time," he says, noting that while it's hard to prove, it's kind of obvious when actors get cut from auditions right after the subject of politics is brought up.

Hollywood culture, for all of its intended creativity, does tend to resemble a massive flock. Ask any producer what he craves in a script, and he's begging and pleading for something that hasn't been done before. In this culture, wearing a John Kerry button becomes as important as scoring that Hermes Birkin bag, and praising the creative genius of Michael Moore is mandatory. Show-biz types who lift the Democratic banner and think Che is cool delight in seeing themselves as revolutionary and antiestablishment, when they're really playing into the Hollywood establishment and its herd mentality.

So a Republican in Hollywood is a true nonconformist. That's hot.

In addition to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tinseltown rebels include Bo Derek, Bruce Willis, Tom Selleck, Dennis Miller, Mel Gibson, Chuck Norris, Ben Stein, Pat Sajak, Kelsey Grammer, Danny Aiello, Patricia Heaton and James Woods. "I love George Bush right now and I always have," Mr. Woods told Jay Leno in 2001. "I'm the only guy in L.A. who voted for him."

Where did the notion of compulsory leftist party registration in Hollywood come from, anyway? The first theory is that it's the aftereffect of the blacklisting era that has cast conservatives in the role of industry enemy, a tradition carried on by those not even conceived yet in the 1950s. The more likely answer is simple: Liberalism is akin to a long-running Hollywood fad. Personal accountability can be a foreign concept when you have a publicist to get you out of any jam. Taxes are easier to swallow when you bring in $10 million a film. Marxism sounds vaguely groovy and compassionate when you live in the Hollywood Hills, as opposed to under any of the regimes responsible for between 85 million and 100 million deaths in the last century. Celebs like to see it as a heightened global consciousness--excluding global realities like, say, terrorism--and make their scheduled appearances for the television cameras on Skid Row, dishing out turkey and green beans for the homeless.

Mr. Aiello told WABC radio in 2001 his thoughts on why Hollywood leans left: "I think many of them are very comfortable with money and don't have to subject themselves to anything other than say, 'Hey, maybe I'm guilty for having all this, and I want to make believe I'm splitting it with the less fortunate.' "

For all the Barbra Streisands and Danny Glovers in Hollywood, though, there are those who booed Michael Moore's anti-Bush rant at the 2003 Oscars. Making it a bit easier for Hollywood Republicans to come out of the political closet has been the Wednesday Morning Club--the steering committee includes Oscar-winning screen legend Robert Duvall and Icon pictures executive Steve McEveety ("Braveheart")--and the Hollywood Congress of Republicans, which christened Mr. Moore July's "Jackass of the Month." In fact, Mr. Vafiades explains, Mr. Moore was last year's "Jackass of the Year," and still hasn't picked up his trophy--described as the "back part of a donkey"--for that honor. C'mon Mike, don't be a sore winner!

Even with safe havens, it's hard to get a read on how many Republicans exist here, though people like to predict this on the basis of mouthy A-list stars alone. Your ballot is secret, there's no exit poll outside Spago, and the only way people guess who's what is through donations and celebrity meddling. Even looking at donations, though, one sees that often a celebrity will give to candidates from both parties, or switch the party to which he donates from one year to the next. And it's simply easier for actors whose livelihoods and dreams don't stand at the mercy of the liberal Hollywood ax to come out of that political closet--for example, action stars whose Republican status fulfills the renegade image their careers already crafted. Open Republicans say there are many more in the wings than we might imagine, big names fearful of having their careers dented. Mr. Duvall, talking to George magazine in 1999, put the situation in perspective: "My theory is that no matter how many enemies you make, you can always work for their enemies."

You could say that the Hollywood elite is liberal, but it's interesting to note the makeup of the Hollywood Congress of Republicans: the working class of struggling actors, directors, producers. "We're the guys who have the most difficulty expressing our views," says Mr. Vafiades, because they have the most to lose. But the young organization's meetings attract more members each time. "It's getting closer to the day when it will be acceptable" to be GOP, Mr. Vafiades adds.

It makes sense that the Hollywood working class identifies with the Republican message. One screenplay sale can bump you to the highest tax bracket that year, but who knows when your next sale (if any) will be and how long you'll have to stretch that income out? Meanwhile, you've been branded as "rich," and a large chunk of your hard-earned money is for the taking, as you plan for a future career making lattes at Starbucks.

Interestingly, for an industry that ranks as one of the largest sectors of the economy, bloviating liberal celebrities who see themselves as beacons of peace and hope don't do any good for the business. A 2002 poll by The Hollywood Reporter found the least-admired political celebrities to be Jane Fonda (11.8%), Charlton Heston (10.8%), Alec Baldwin (10.6%), Barbra Streisand (10.5%) and Rosie O'Donnell (9.2%)--four liberals and just one conservative in the publicity doghouse. The poll found that 44.3% of moviegoers wouldn't fork over the cash to see a film that "starred an outspoken actor they disagreed with." And 76.5% of American adults say "they disapprove of Oscar presenters and winners injecting politics into the show."

Here's a winner for everyone: the drama "Hollywood Politics." Act I was "Commie Blacklisting," Act II is "Revenge of the Liberals" and Act III, yet untitled, is a climax that ends, like most epic struggles (e.g., "Office Space"), with freedom for the oppressed. It's just too bad the movie's dragged on so long.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X