Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by St Leo
    Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    Yes it does. Many of them were young and impressionable. Many were forced to fight. They still fought for evil. They deserve the thanks of Germany for putting their bodies in the way of the bullets that Germany brought upon itself. They don't deserve my thanks or admiration.

Why the hell would you admire any soldiers?

The truly courageous Germans risked their lives for freedom by refusing to fight, by helping Jews escape the slaughter, by spying for the Allies, by defecting at the first opportunity.

The truly courageous Canadians fought the monster of conscription tooth and nail. Soldiers are all cowards by definition. Bucking the system is always harder than just going through the motions.

The rest are not criminals simply for fighting when their government told them to. They were simply weak men, and their weakness cost the lives of 50 million.

All armies are composed of weak men and women.
    You forgot the troll quotes, Leo.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• So Nye, you know for a fact that most vets hold no malice against those they fought, eh? So you know that the majority of Canadians who lived through that time did not hold a grudge against the Germans after WWII?

You made a pompous statement with your "I'm telling you..." and then you made a wild claim that by and large the Canadians "who know about" the war hold no grudge against the ordinary German soldiers.

You don't know that. You don't know what the majority of the people who lived through that time think.

The reaction to WWII was extremely complex and varied because it was such an usual situation. Even 60 years later, there is no commonly accepted opinion about the Germans of that time. Hell, even the Germans can't agree about how to deal with what their countrymen did then.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

• Be it Resolved That:

a) St Leo is full of ****

b) Patroklos is full of ****

c) Pekka is a dirty Finn

d) AH is a ****ing troll

e) Tingkai is ornery

f) Drake Tungsten is a lousy American but is, in this case, correct

g) Only NYE and I are worth anything
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          c) Pekka is a dirty Finn

"Dirty" is redundant.

Drake Tungsten is a lousy American

"Lousy" is redundant.

g) Only NYE and I are worth anything

I disagree.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
            So Nye, you know for a fact that most vets hold no malice against those they fought, eh? So you know that the majority of Canadians who lived through that time did not hold a grudge against the Germans after WWII?

You made a pompous statement with your "I'm telling you..." and then you made a wild claim that by and large the Canadians "who know about" the war hold no grudge against the ordinary German soldiers.

You don't know that. You don't know what the majority of the people who lived through that time think.

The reaction to WWII was extremely complex and varied because it was such an usual situation. Even 60 years later, there is no commonly accepted opinion about the Germans of that time. Hell, even the Germans can't agree about how to deal with what their countrymen did then.
            Come back to me when you can demonstrate that a majority of Canadians harbour some deep-seeded hatred for Germans as a consequence of the events of the Second World War.

And, as a matter of fact, yes, I can listen to the vets that I hear speak up about that time, to the extent that they want to, and by and large they do not hold a grudge against Johan Schmidt.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• I can't believe I read this whole thread
              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

• Why would you do something stupid like that?
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• No refunds!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

• It's okay, I'm paying with someone else's credit card.
                    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

• Is she a Korean woman talking in a man's voice about 'buffing the old chick magnet'?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

• Elements of the 12SS hardly constitute a "major formation."

Bin Ladin does not fight, he lives in holes and sends people to fight for him and reaps the "benefits", kind of like all of you. You also can't fight civilians, is that not why you condem the Nazis yourself?

And if you believe that the majority of the veterans hate the germans then you are delusional my freind. Hell, three years after the war our miltaries were fighting together, hand in hand. Almost every veteran I have talked to, and I would obvioulsy know more, believed them to be fighting for an evil cause BUT respected their fighting prowess and admired their determination. Sandhurst and West Point routinely hold seminars and lectures where both sides get together and remember, and they are happy occasions. Hell, the biggest one in held by Sandhurst at Normandy every year.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• f) Drake Tungsten is a lousy American but is, in this case, correct

I love you, too.

BTW, didn't my only post on this topic consist of me giving one of your posts the ""? No wonder you suddenly respect my opinon...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X