X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ted Striker
    To all those who gave their lives on D Day, including Germans
    or

To think that an American would equate the bravery and just cause of Allied troops with those who perpetuated and defended one of the most evil regimes in history.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Included for accuracy. There really was little or no difference between the behaviour of Wehrmacht and SS troops. That is well documented.
      Hmm. Canadian troops and historians would not agree with you.

Yes the regular Germans were tenacious and to be treated with respect.

The hate came out with certain units of the SS though. Hitler Jugend (sp?) in particular. The term take no prisoners has been used.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

To think that an American would equate the bravery and just cause of Allied troops with those who perpetuated and defended one of the most evil regimes in history.

or

To think that someone who defends one of the most evil regimes of today would be hypocritical enough to get upset by that.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The difference is that between the weak and the evil.

Not that Wehrmacht units were completely innocent, but there was certainly a marked difference in the overall behaviour.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You are only talking about one little corner of the war NYE - the Wehrmacht were up to their neck in atrocities all over Europe.

Similarly the Afrika Corps was well behaved - but so what? You think if they had been sent to Russia they would have behaved any different from the rest?
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

or

To think that someone who defends one of the most evil regimes of today would be hypocritical enough to get upset by that.
              Indeed. Defenders of Mr GW Bush should be ashamed of themselves.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You kicked this off with a reference to Canadian families and an SS slaughter, Horse.

I'm telling you that Canadians who know about it by and large feel no real grief with the average Germans of that day, but we do hope for a special place in hell for the German leadership and the SS (along with a few others).
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Indeed. Defenders of Mr GW Bush should be ashamed of themselves.

Classic UR.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Well I don't feel any malice towards Germans who died either and I do pity them.

But I don't see them as just the same as the allied dead. The allied dead died in a just cause. The German dead died for an evil one.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Nor do I. But the civilians and the dead kids from their side are also part of the price of Liberty.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

or

A classic Drake troll. His racist hatred of China knows no bounds.

China has never started a world war. China has not committed genocide.

Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          You kicked this off with a reference to Canadian families and an SS slaughter, Horse.

I'm telling you that Canadians who know about it by and large feel no real grief with the average Germans of that day, but we do hope for a special place in hell for the German leadership and the SS (along with a few others).
                          Who are you to speak for Canadians?

Edit: Talking about German civillians is completely different than talking about the Germans who fought in the war.
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

I am am one, butthump. What about you?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

There are Canadians vets who hold no malice towards the Germans, but there are also vets who do not forgive them. Don't presume to talk for them.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

Considering the complete lack of accurate knowledge both KH and AH have showed in general here, I can't really hold you accontable for your mistaken impression of those events.

1. There was not a single major SS formation on the beaches on D-Day. Three Divisions arrived several days to weeks afterward.

3. All SS and Heer members were not volunteers. Germany had mandatory service before the war and conscripted most after it started. As for the SS, whole division of the armywere transfered wholesale from the Heer. It was a normal trend as the Waffen SS grew and especially as they were attrited. Officers suffered this especially.

4. SS units varied widely in makup, ethnicity, operational theatres, quality, and equipment. Treating all of them the same is extremely ignorant.

5. The Wehrmacht had foreign troops as well, in fact many times more.

6. If you were a Lithuanian, Ukranian, or Finn then the good side for you was who ever was fighting the Russians.

7. Nobody fights as hard and courageously for a cause to the degree the Germans did unless they truly believe they are right or are bieng forced too. Can't fault someone for fighting for what he believes (I know this is alien to some of you homebodies who live as parasites off these people) or someone who had no choice. Right and wrong are relative, no matter how obvious some situations might seem.

Included for accuracy. There really was little or no difference between the behaviour of Wehrmacht and SS troops. That is well documented.
                                Not at all, and once again this is your attempt to bundle concepts you can't understand into easily labeld packages. Germans WWII = Mass Murderers. True in many individual cases, not in most. Documentation does not show this in the slightest. This is a troubleing trend in history where liberal "popular" historians write history how they want it to be, without documentation. The fact is that for forty years of historical work right after the war, when veterans were still alive and hard evidence still available, came to the opposite conclusion AH. You want WWII to fit your ideological outlook, so you made them all evil. And you know what, that is easier for people to digest so they believe it.

Tell that to the families of the 100 Canadian prisoners slaughtered by an SS unit in Normandy.
                                This was a single incident in Normandy that you are talking about, and there was a similar one in the Ardennes with the Americans. There are many more. Horrible. But that is all you ever hear about. It is common fact in the historical community that Germany was not the worst at killing prisoners in WWII (Western Front). Americans and Brits were notorious for killing POWs, because after all they were just stinking Nazis (aren't there two people here that have the same opinion?). Who was #1? Canadians.

There was little differance in the day to day operations of the Armies in WWII concerning POW killing and civilian abuses on the Western Front. Germans did puncuate that with attrocities, which they have paid for to the degree we are able too achieve. But don't think we were clean in any way, or that the majority of the German behavior was in any way abnormal to the militaries of the time.
                                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X