No announcement yet.

some people just don't get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really, since both present a clear and present danger.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
      Not really, since both present a clear and present danger.
      Unless you've had that British Army self-defense course where you learn to defend yourself from fruit.

This thread went from zero to boring in about two posts.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

To paraphrase Kuciwalker, "You don't have to look at it."
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

In a possible first, I completely agree with Skywalker. I'm completely pro-choice. But the shirt is simply a statement of opinion, and completely protected by our revered freedom of expression. She should just ignore it, or dispute the message, but there's no basis to argue that the girl doesn't have a perfect right to wear it.

Comment

Agathon

Comment

Another thumbs up for Agathon.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

But he's warming up the prolife chicks.

(who are cuter anyways.)
                Not a good idea...
                better stick with the pro choice girls... less hassle afterwards if something goes wrong....
                If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

If someone walked up to you and swung a knife at you every day, only to stop a 1/2 inch from your neck, would you feel threatened? Espec if you didn't know whether or not he'd follow thru someday? Where's the harm?

mrmitchell is correct. A swastika says nothing except I hate X group. It doesn't mean the person is going to kill you for it anymore than someone wearing a Hammer and Sickle (which is just as odious a symbol as a swastika) means he will kill rich kids.

Swinging a knife at someone is assault, wearing a swastika is protected speech.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Don't worry, Kuciniwalker -- some of us get it.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue
                      I saw a movie a few days ago (The Majestic) and this passage from it seems to fit here.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
                      Hehehe.

Yea that was a good.... movie quote.... hehe.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Perhaps, Kuncinich, instead of using the dialectic method to criticize her, you should have said you understand her point of view, but we have to respect the right of free speech even of those we dispise, or free speech doesn't exist, and anyone could take our own rights away.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Aggie:
                          No sensible person agrees that racism is morally justifiable

Do I spot a True Scotsman?
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

So if someone started wearing a swastika armband, that would be peachy with you?

Although I wouldn't like it, my answer would still be yes.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              Oh yeah, I forgot -- I also support the right of the willingly ignorant to express their opinions about sexual orientation and gay issues as well.
                              Thanks, I personally appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                                Sorry, I'm with Aggie on this one, with the possible exception that most hate speech should be condemned rather than banned, unless it causes harm to a person or group. Then again, that could be what he is saying, and I'm reading too much of what the other side is putting in his posts.

You still don't have to look at it. Plus, how does it hurt you, to see the swastika? Can you demonstrate any actual harm?

If someone walked up to you and swung a knife at you every day, only to stop a 1/2 inch from your neck, would you feel threatened? Espec if you didn't know whether or not he'd follow thru someday? Where's the harm?
                                Swinging a knife at my face isn't expression.

Comment

Working...
                                X