For Conservatives, Mission Accomplished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    Safety Net - a draw - not going away, but no more than marginal expansions in the cards. Means testing gaining elite acceptance, even among liberals, but the politics dont work

Not a draw. Conservaties are winning here and liberals aren't fighting too hard to hold on.

Culture - conservatives lose. Gay rights, feminism, choice (which will undoubtedly survive a reversal of Roe v Wade) etc. On anything which doesnt relate directly or indirectly to economics (responsibility is good) theyve lost. Heck, even when they win (in 2004 terms) they lose (in 1964 terms) faith based solutions will include churches women ministers and priests are routine, charter schools include black power schools, etc.

Gay marriage may yet be stopped by a Constitutional Amendement. Schools are resegregating at an incredible rate, where they haven't already been completely resegregated. Black in the South face greater hurdles trying to vote than whites do, in some places having been completely disenfranchised again. And the faith based-stuff is noly going to churches allied with conservatives. It's like religious nepotism.

Face it, they're advancing on all fronts, mostly because liberals and moderates are asleep at the wheel.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

well, the problem with the american political system is not that the liberals and moderates are asleep at the wheel--

it's that there's a dry rot that can only be purged by a complete demolition and reconstruction.
      B♭3

Comment

The GOP is a remarkably ideologically incoherent party, where you have Christian fundies on one hand and staunch libertarians on the other hand; the Dems have much more in common ideologically. Witness, for example, when the AFL-CIO refused to endorse candidates who supported a constitutional amendment against gay marriage.

The difference, of course, is party discipline. The GOP (at least, with DeLay and co. at its head) doesn't tolerate dissent, while the Democrats are rife with it. After all, can anyone imagine a Republican Senator campaigning for Kerry (like Zell Miller has for Dear Leader)? One might say that a party with a rigid enforcement apparatus has more power, but I'll take my dissent any day.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

* chegitz guevara makes a list and checks it twice, then sends it off to some gun-toting anarchists.
          Someone called?
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

*helps Ramo break out the black flags*
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

After all, can anyone imagine a Republican Senator campaigning for Kerry (like Zell Miller has for Dear Leader)?

Well yes. Jim Jeffords' last party affiliation was Republican . Senators get a big pass compared to House members. You don't and CAN'T have a Delay or other House bosses (like Tip O'Neill) in the Senate.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And Jim Jeffords ain't a Republican anymore. And Senators don't get a pass (see DeLay's attempt at booting out Specter).
                -Bokonon

Comment

Yes, but Jeffords' last party was the Republicans .

Senators don't get a pass (see DeLay's attempt at booting out Specter).

Because Delay has any impact on Specter besides backing another candidate. It'd be like saying Democrat Senators don't get a pass because Zell Miller backed a Republican over a Democrat in a specific race
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Yes, but Jeffords' last party was the Republicans .
                    And he's no longer welcome there.

Because Delay has any impact on Specter besides backing another candidate. It'd be like saying Democrat Senators don't get a pass because Zell Miller backed a Republican over a Democrat in a specific race
                    DeLay's a power broker, Miller certainly isn't.
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      [
                      Imran -- never mind. I think I thought you were one of the Apolytoners who got disappointed with Kerry, and decided to go for a third party.

Only when the third parties decide to stop being run by a bunch of wackjobs and loonies .

Aren't all US parties being run by a bunch wackjobs and loonies?
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

DeLay's a power broker, Miller certainly isn't.

And? All that DeLay has power over is who he sends his money to. Aside from that he can say whatever he damn well pleases about Spector and it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                          Aren't all US parties being run by a bunch wackjobs and loonies?
                          No, we aren't Canada .

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            If that what you meant by that silly acronym, then I would have understood what you meant had you just used the word, "opinion-editorial."

We apologize if you can't figure out socially accepted acronyms. Do people get in trouble asking you to respond RSVP as well?

"Respond RSVP" is redundant and, AFAIK, nowhere near as acceptable as "PIN Number", "RAM Memory", or "ABM Machine".

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo

"Respond RSVP" is redundant and, AFAIK, nowhere near as acceptable as "PIN Number", "RAM Memory", or "ABM Machine".
                              Do you mean ABM Missile?
                              Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                                Do you mean ABM Missile?

STFU up, or I'll FUBAR you up beyond all recognition!

Comment

Working...
                                X