X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic militants praise 'heroic' slaughter of pregnant woman, 4 daughters

Islamic militants praise 'heroic' slaughter of pregnant woman, 4 daughters

Family photo

Tali Khotel is seen here with her four daughters and husband David. Tali, who was 8 months pregnant, and, from left, Hadar, 9, Roni, 7, Hila, 11, and Merav, 2, were killed by Palestinian gunmen Sunday.

Associated Press
    May. 3, 2004 08:30 AM

KISSUFIM CROSSING, Gaza Strip - Palestinian militants attacked an Israeli vehicle near a Jewish settlement in the Gaza Strip, killing four children and their mother, the Israeli army said. Two attackers were killed.

The attack near the entrance to the Gush Katif bloc of settlements came as the ruling Likud Party was holding a referendum on Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's plan to pull out of Gaza. It was unclear how the attack would affect the vote.

The militants opened fire - killing the five family members and wounding a motorist in a second vehicle - before detonating a bomb, the army spokesman said.

Two soldiers were wounded by gunfire, and the attackers were killed by return fire, the army said.

Police said the white Citroen station wagon spun off the road after the initial shooting, then the attackers approached the vehicle and shot the occupants at close range.

The car was riddled with bullets, and the carpet inside was stained with blood. Israel Radio reported the mother had been on her way to protest against Sharon's Gaza withdrawal plan. On the car was a bumper sticker saying, "Uprooting the settlements, victory for terror."

Settlers said the family lived in the Katif settlement in central Gaza.

Israel Radio said a car belonging to CNN television had prevented further bloodshed by blocking the road after shooting broke out. There was no immediate comment from CNN.

The militant Islamic Jihad and Popular Resistance Committees, an umbrella group, claimed responsibility for the "heroic" attack in a call to The Associated Press.

The group said the attack was in response to Israel's recent assassinations of the founder of the Hamas militant group, Sheik Ahmed Yassin, and his successor, Abdel Aziz Rantisi.

"The attack is part of the Palestinian reprisals for the daily crimes committed by the Israeli army against the Palestinian people, especially the killings of Yassin and Rantisi," the group said.

Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz canceled scheduled appearances Sunday and planned to convene with top security officials to plan a response to the attack, military sources said.

The attack was the deadliest on Israeli settlers in Gaza in many months, and it was unclear how it would affect Sunday's vote. Polls have shown voters are closely divided over the withdrawal plan.

Sharon has said his plan would boost Israel's security in the absence of a peace agreement with the Palestinians. His opponents have accused Sharon of caving in to Palestinian militants.

"People have to look us in the eyes and not throw us out of our houses," Avner Shimoni, a Gaza settler leader, told Army Radio. "We paid a very heavy price today."

There has been a spike in Gaza violence since Sharon announced his intentions to exit the territory several months ago, with each side trying to claim victory ahead of a withdrawal.

Israel had gone on high security alert Sunday ahead of the referendum, dividing Gaza into three sections and restricting Palestinian travel.

'There is no one left' - family tragedy marks Mideast violence
    May 3, 2004

By Ariel Schalit

Ashkelon, Israel - David Hatuel wept in front of five mounds of brown soil, the fresh graves of his pregnant wife and four daughters - his entire family.

"I am all alone, there is no one left," he said in a whisper.

Hatuel's family was shot dead by Palestinian gunmen as they drove from their home in a Gaza Strip settlement to the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon yesterday - where they were buried five hours later.

The deadly ambush came as members of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's Likud Party voted on his plan to withdraw from the Gaza Strip.

Tali Hatuel (34) - who was eight months pregnant - was on the way with her four children, Hila (11); Hadar (9); Roni (7); and Merav (2); to campaign against the plan when two Palestinian gunmen opened fire on the car, sending it skidding off the road.

The gunmen ran toward the car shooting the occupants again and again at almost point blank range, the army and witnesses said.

TV footage showed rescue workers sifting through the white Citroen station wagon, a poster reading "A Jewish heart votes no" plastered across the car hood.

A medic wiped blood off a baby seat, two small bright pink shoes lay on the blood-soaked carpet of the bullet-riddled car.

Settlers and opponents of the Sharon plan have said a withdrawal from Gaza would be a reward for attacks like these. A bumper sticker on the back of the car read "Uprooting the settlements - a victory for terror".

At the funeral, David Hatuel apologised to his family for spending so much time away from them campaigning against the plan to uproot the Gaza homes.

"Only on Friday, the girls drew me a picture and said 'Daddy, we are so proud of you for working so hard to save our home," he said, calling his daughters, his "flowers".

"Tali," he said, "everything I have, everything I did, I did for her."

Tali Hatuel was a social worker and counselled the families of victims from attacks by Palestinian militants, friends said.

"She was quiet and shy ... she was a very serious person," her neighbour Ezra Haidu said.

The militant Islamic Jihad and Popular Resistance Committees, an umbrella group, claimed responsibility for what it called the "heroic" attack.

"The blood of the holy warriors will be united to become bombs of death and fear in the hearts of the enemy," read a statement on the Web site of the Popular Resistance Committee.

Twenty-six-year-old Faisal Abu Naqira and a fellow Islamic Jihad militant were credited with the fatal attack.

In Gaza City, about 1 500 people joined an Islamic Jihad march celebrating the attack. Islamic Jihad said the attack was in response to Israel's assassination of Hamas leader Sheik Ahmed Yassin and Abdel Aziz Rantisi.

"The goal of this attack was to confirm the continuation of the resistance," said Khader Habib, an Islamic Jihad leader in Gaza.

Last night, an Israeli helicopter fired three missiles at a 14-storey Palestinian building in the middle of Gaza City in revenge for the Hatuel family killings. - Reuters

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Animals

Comment

what's the difference if they are men or women? Are women not treated equal in our society?

Comment

I feel more sorry for the kids. A Gaza settlement is obviously the wrong place to bring up children. She put nationalism before their wellbeing.

Comment

In a heart-bleeding article such as the last one, I would expect more than the following:

Last night, an Israeli helicopter fired three missiles at a 14-storey Palestinian building in the middle of Gaza City in revenge for the Hatuel family killings.

How many children, how many pregnant women have died in that two-liner?
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The gunmen ran toward the car shooting the occupants again and again at almost point blank range, the army and witnesses said.
            I wonder if it made them feel like men, shooting a two year old in a child safty seat at point blank.

Comment

Spiffor,

Several hours after the attack, Israel launched missiles at a Gaza City building that housed Palestinian-run radio stations and two main newspapers. At least two people were wounded. Israel also launched a missile strike on a car in Nablus, killing four militants

Comment

From the same article:

After riddling the car with gunfire on a road leading to Israel, the two terrorists then ran up to the vehicle and coldbloodedly pumped bullets into each of their victims' heads to make sure they had finished the job, Israeli police said.

One of the gunmen also shot the swollen belly of the eight-months-pregnant mom at point-blank range.

"At first, we thought we could do something to save the mother, but it was too late," one distraught Israeli settler said.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  In a heart-bleeding article such as the last one, I would expect more than the following:

Last night, an Israeli helicopter fired three missiles at a 14-storey Palestinian building in the middle of Gaza City in revenge for the Hatuel family killings.

How many children, how many pregnant women have died in that two-liner?

If the Palestinians as a whole would have used non-violent means of resisting, Isreal would have had to have backed down many years ago. As long as they behave like animals they will be hunted as such including the innocents among them.
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                    If the Palestinians as a whole would have used non-violent means of resisting, Isreal would have had to have backed down many years ago. As long as they behave like animals they will be hunted as such including the innocents among them.
                    If the Israelis as a whole would have stopped invading, the Palestinians would have had to have backed down many years ago. As long as they behave like conquerors, they will be hunted as such including the innocents among them.

Thanks for the figure, TMM. I hope they're true.

For the matter: I consider the attack on those children to be completely vile. I am glad the Hamas could not* get more than 1,500 people to march in support of these murderers (when you have as many people directly adhering to your organization as the Hamas, 1,500 really isn't that much: it's mostly the active members and family, not the average joe).

However, I can feel no sympathy for the adult settlers. They have chosen to live a life that is more difficult in all regards for the sake of nationalism. They have dropped their old life to come live in harsh conditions because they believe in Eretz Israel. I actually consider adult settlers (not born in the settlement) to be valid targets, even more than soldiers, because they chose to come to the war zone and to wage the war.

*edit: forgot the "not"
                    Last edited by Spiffor; May 4, 2004, 05:54.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

and again 4 innocent kids die... but now the world is shocked
                      i didn't hear this outrage when a rocket hit a car in a crowded street and a four year old palestinian girl was blown away...

and as far as the post Sprayber goes, i don't think that there is much humanity left in the extremists on both sides in this conflict.

but hey, keep supporting the israeli's unconditionally. i am sure that that will help preventing this kind of attacks.
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I can imagine now the families of these men in the local markets telling how their brave sons died for the cause by machine gunning a pregnant woman and her daughters to death.

And these people want their own state? I mean countries are usually founded upon enough bloodshed as it is but damn. I wonder if there will be any heroic songs sung about the night some Jewish children were wasted all in the name of Palastine.
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

After riddling the car with gunfire on a road leading to Israel, the two terrorists then ran up to the vehicle and coldbloodedly pumped bullets into each of their victims' heads to make sure they had finished the job, Israeli police said.

One of the gunmen also shot the swollen belly of the eight-months-pregnant mom at point-blank range.

Jesus Christ...

And as for Spiff's defense of this...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That's bad, of course, but they settled on enemy territory. I agree with Spifford in that matter partially
                            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

If the Israelis as a whole would have stopped invading, the Palestinians would have had to have backed down many years ago. As long as they behave like conquerors, they will be hunted as such including the innocents among them.

invading what exactly? don't say you believe that 67' borders tripe, again.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X