Why do people not like Muslims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people not like Muslims?

Even on this forum I've seen a good deal of anti-Islam sentiment, some stuff bordering on Islamophobia and generally heightened hostility. On my BNP thread people have even talked about an inferior culture! .

So anyway I think it comes down to this. Bitterness about 9/11. Understandable, and probably enough to attack terrorists, but not an entire religion/culture. IMO, one should address the causes of terrorism, not get emotional about terrorism itself to solve the problem, but that's sidetracking.

I think that some of the aspects of Muslim culture don't appeal to many in the West. Subjugation of women, more depotism for example. I don't think that constitutes an inferior culture of course, merely a different one. Tweak things a little this end, or take away some of our creature comforts and civilisation will revert back to a more primal state anyway. These things are, as Iago said in Othello; "trifles light as air". Cultural relativism would seem to apply also.

We also have a history of disliking Muslims, going back to the royal ass-whooping the West got in the Crusades, which has to play a part in it.

Thoughts?
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

I think it has mostly to do with
    1. Terrorism, for the troglodytes who don't differentiate between ordinary Muslims and terrorists.

2. The "less appealing aspects of their culture" as you put it nicely. Indeed, I am not fond of people who subjugate their women, go figure...

3. The strong presence of radical religion, which is much more worrisome than even the hellholes of Christian bigotry such as the US, and sometimes even on par with Uganda.

4. The general impression the Muslims give of whining and refusing to take blame on anything. I think many people are mightily pissed by Muslims seemingly thinking their misery is only due to the West, and they are owed prosperity.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

4. The general impression the Muslims give of whining and refusing to take blame on anything. I think many people are mightily pissed by Muslims seemingly thinking their misery is only due to the West, and they are owed prosperity.
      Agreed, but is that a Muslim trait, or a human one?

3. The strong presence of radical religion, which is much more worrisome than even the hellholes of Christian bigotry such as the US, and sometimes even on par with Uganda.
      Agreed, but again on that front. Radical Islam is a relatively new phenomenon, and we can see a correleation between its growth, and certain events in the history of the West that caused that growth.

2. The "less appealing aspects of their culture" as you put it nicely. Indeed, I am not fond of people who subjugate their women, go figure...
      Agreed and ditto, but then I won't hold it against them. If my neighbour spanks his kids and I don't, does that change the friendship I have with him. I think that is a tough one for some, and with reason perhaps, but for me, the answer is no, culturally speaking, to each his own, I just wish they would do something about the persecution, but I wouldn't force it on them.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Well, I hate fundamentalism. I also hate individuals/governments revoking innate human rights from others.

The Middle East has more than its fair share.

Do I hate Muslims? Of course not. Unless they are revoking human rights and/or viralent fundamentalists.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Well lets see, under their law Gay people like me would be put to death.... that alone would get me not to likeing them, if they want me dead literally according to direct religious law....

I'm also a very anti-religion person, too much in religion has been corrupted, I would rather see the Muslims go before the Christians... I mean have you ever heard of a non-Fundamentalist Muslim?

Their religion REQUIRES Fundamentalism, not suggests it.
          "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

innate human rights
            Keep talking....?

Comment

The only good muslim is....a....... non-Muslim.

Comment

Well lets see, under their law Gay people like me would be put to death.... that alone would get me not to likeing them, if they want me dead literally according to direct religious law....
                Oh don't worry, some would kill me on sight too, being white, bisexual and Jewish. Of course, my half-dozen or so Muslim friends haven't thus far .

I'm also a very anti-religion person, too much in religion has been corrupted, I would rather see the Muslims go before the Christians... I mean have you ever heard of a non-Fundamentalist Muslim?
                Well yes! Some of the cleverest people I know as a matter of fact.

No really, I am interested in hearing your argument for that! *lights cigarette*

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                  Bullcrap. All the Muslims I know are not fundamentalist. The girls don't wear headscarves, and they don't force their religion up the others' throat. Admittedly, the few Muslims I know are all students. Yet, even such a small sample (and I expect to know more than you anyway) denies your claim.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy

Keep talking....?
                    What else is there to say?
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                      The only good muslim is....a....... non-Muslim.
                      Have a wowwypop

Comment

If an once glorious culture falls behind, its people won't be happy and will try to catch up. Japanese, Chinese, Indians, and Russians all had their painful episodes. Some of them, especially the Chinese and Japanese, had suffered far more at the hands of Westerners. But they tried to learn from their former enemies, they tried to find a solution to improve societies, and they have turned things around today.

But how are Muslims responding today? By murdering women and children, blowing up restaurants, shooting up schools, hijacking airplanes and flying them into buildings. The Arab media (or Muslim media in general) never admits that its culture and society need reforms . Instead they blame incessantly on "Crusader-Israeli" conspiracies. The people don't search for solutions to overcome their current weakness, instead they look for maniac means (suicide bombings, terrorism) to blackmail the rest of the world into giving what they want. A bunch of Islamic fools just attacked Thailand, a very peaceful Buddhist nation with no imperial history.

There are Arabs and other Muslims who have recognized the problem, but their voice is completely drowned out by the "Jihads", "Fatwas", and other similar BS streaming out of the Wahhabist camps. Every Muslim I know of are still trying to find all the excuses for suicide bombers, another sign that these people don't get it.

The only reason that prevents B-52s from carpet bombing their cities is the general benevolence of the Western society. But that benevolence is wearing thinner and thinner with every attack. So far Europe except Spain has been spared such attacks, but I believe it's only a matter of time. The fools still haven't realized how dangerous their situation is. If the Euros are sufficiently pissed off by their acts, I don't see anything that can prevent the rest of the world to gang up on them. Then there wouldn't be much left of their culture or people. How humiliating would it be if Israelis are raising the David Star flag on top of Mecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Bullcrap. All the Muslims I know are not fundamentalist. The girls don't wear headscarves, and they don't force their religion up the others' throat. Admittedly, the few Muslims I know are all students. Yet, even such a small sample (and I expect to know more than you anyway) denies your claim.
                          We aren't talking about some liberal young kiddies a liberal hub, we are talking about the majority. I've been to a muslim country, and I've seen how they looked at me, and treated me, you have no idea the hate...

Comment

What else is there to say?
                            I dont think that natural rights exist. I think we can deduce a system of rights in the context of a society based upon existentialism and utilitarianism but I don't think that we can say they are natural. Even as a libertarian, I am perhaps somewhat less likely to take rights as seriously as you do.

Comment

We aren't talking about some liberal young kiddies a liberal hub, we are talking about the majority. I've been to a muslim country, and I've seen how they looked at me, and treated me, you have no idea the hate...
                              Funny, I was cool. Nonetheless, when in Rome...

Comment

Working...
                              X