NHL Playoffs, Round 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agathon
    PS. Harder teams? Your team is in the weaker conference this year in case you hadn't noticed.
    Do you need me to explain to you how the President's Trophy works?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wasn't Fuhr useless when he stopped snorting coke?
      Heh. Nice try.

*polishes memories of 10 years of great hockey and 5 Stanley Cups*

*realises that those days ain't ever coming back and tears up*
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Edmonton is the City of Champions.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Do you need me to explain that a good team in the weaker conference is going to get more points beating up on the also rans than in a conference where the pickings aren't so good. This given that they play teams in their own conference more than those in the other.

Look at Detroit's division. If the Leafs were in that division they would have won the President's trophy. As it stands there is no easybeat team in the Northeast Division. Even Buffalo nearly made the playoffs.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Heh. Nice try.

*polishes memories of 10 years of great hockey and 5 Stanley Cups*

*realises that those days ain't ever coming back and tears up*
            That wasn't a troll. Some hockey nut at work told me that. I'd like to know if there is anything to it.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I don't think so. Yes, the boys did like to party. They were heady days with a group of young men who concentrated a lot of talent and some ego in one small team. But, no, the coke did not make him great (although it may have ruined him in the end).

The secret to Grant Fuhr lay in two things. Pure athletic ability (he was a small man and did not use equipment as Roy did) was one aspect. The other was Ron Low, the Oilers goaltending coach. It is not rocket science to make the conclusion when you see that Fuhr, Moog, Ranford, and Cujo all went through Ron Low's 'how to be a great NHL goalie school'. The Oilers didn't trade for great goalies, they minted them.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Anyways, I'm still depressed about the Leafs. Even though I'm used to it after all these years, I really thought they had a chance this year. Everything was there.

I'm starting to think that Keon has put a curse on the Leafs (he still hasn't forgiven the organisation for the way it treats him).

I also think that in a lot of ways, the fans and the media are to blame. We want the Leafs to win this year. There's so much pressure on them that they never get a chance to build up a team. As a result, the Leafs are constantly under pressure to trade away prospects for "proven" players and all too often that doesn't work.

Getting Leetch was a smart move, but Nolan has been a dud, same with Francis, Klee, Johansson (didn't cost anything, but he didn't do much either).

Signing a player (like Belfour) is fine, but too many trades have cost the Leafs dearly.

But of course, the fans and the media scream to high heaven if the Leafs don't make trades.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I just can't figure out why a team with stacks of money and talented players can't make it to the finals in 37 years, let alone win the Cup.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

• I guess I really can't talk, but I did tell you this would happen, Tingkai. Even though this management is 'willing to spend', Toronto just doesn't have it. The core of their team doesn't have the playoff killer instinct.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• theres a reason the sharks got rid of kipprusoff - CUZ HE AINT AS MONEY AS NABOKOV - SEE YOU AT THE TANK *****ES, AND YOUD BETTER BRING IT, CUZ THE SHARKS ARE CIRCLING IN FOR THE KILL.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I don't blame Tampa, I blame the Habs. They can stink up any game.

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Similar claims were made about Nabokov not that long ago - he's good, but he's no Brodeur or Belfour.
                        True. And there's Theodore too.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                          theres a reason the sharks got rid of kipprusoff - CUZ HE AINT AS MONEY AS NABOKOV - SEE YOU AT THE TANK *****ES, AND YOUD BETTER BRING IT, CUZ THE SHARKS ARE CIRCLING IN FOR THE KILL.
                          They got rid of Kipper because they were too stupid to play him. Sutter, having coached the Sharks for many seasons, knew what he could do, and got him for next to nothing from you guys.

Comment

• Is this Kipper- Eddie debate STILL going on???

I think there are facts that both can agree

1. Kipper had the best season of any goalie in the league ( Tingkai-- using wins is disingenuous since it reflects more the strength of the team PLUS kipper had a major injury and missed a good chunk of the season.)

2. Eddie has a longer better track record

If I was picking a goalie to play a single must win game right now, I would give the nod to Kipper. Longer term as a GM I would want . .. hey Kipper again-- I could get him cheaper and he's younger with more upside. True he only has the one superlative year and for that reason I would say that overall Balfour has an edge -- Hall of famer vs one-season wonder. . ..

But still-- I have seen Kipper play all season-- if I had to tap anyone to go into the game right now, he would be the guy.

So

this season Kipper
                            overall Eddie
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• They got rid of Kipper because they were too stupid to play him. Sutter, having coached the Sharks for many seasons, knew what he could do, and got him for next to nothing from you guys.
                              wrong again - we got rid of kipper because he wasnt as good as nabokov. whos got playoff experience? nabokov. whos gonna win the stanley cup this year? nabokov. case in point.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                                wrong again - we got rid of kipper because he wasnt as good as nabokov. whos got playoff experience? nabokov. whos gonna win the stanley cup this year? nabokov. case in point.
                                Nabokov is good, but not as good.

You guys had Kipper as your THIRD goaltender, so this argument doesn't even fly. The Shark's management is incompetent, which is why they won't win the cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X