My rocket is bigger than yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My rocket is bigger than yours

363 feet tall (110 m). Weighing 6.1 million pounds (2.8 million Kg). Carrying 203,000 gallons (770,000 liters) of kerosene, 414,000 gallons (1.6 million liters) of liquid oxygen, and 260,000 gallons (1 million liters) of liquid hydrogen.

7.5 million pounds of thrust. 165,000 pound (75,000 Kg) payload to Low Earth Orbit.

The rocket was assembled in a 52 storey skyscraper, pictured below.

The big boy, the grandaddy of them all. The Saturn V.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanS; April 6, 2004, 12:22.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'd hit it
      [/striker]

Comment

what does it do?
        CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
          what does it do?
          It went to the moon. It looks good in a museum.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Even though the rocket business sucks hard, there is some start-up activity that is exciting. In addition to the X-Prize teams, you have SpaceX, which is planning in the next couple of years to cut the costs of putting a pound in orbit to under $1,000. The list of those who have tried and failed to do similar is loooong, but that shouldn't stop us from cheering for them.

SpaceX is privately funded and founded by Elon Musk, the founder of PayPal.

SpaceX dreams of one day building a Saturn class rocket. Their code name for the project is the "BFR".

Comment

Ever physically seen a Saturn V?

Bloody HUGE. They had one in Alabama at the place where they hold Space Camp/Academy (which I attended twice... yeah, yeah, geek, I know, but you shoulda SEEN some of the geeks that went there... good lord, I was the Fonz compared to some of those kids...).
              the good reverend

Comment

No, but I wanna.

Bloody HUGE.
                Ohhhhh yeh...

They had one in Alabama at the place where they hold Space Camp/Academy (which I attended twice... yeah, yeah, geek, I know
                Your parents must have had the coin. Didn't it cost something $5,000 for only a couple week course?

Comment

I want one.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Here's the specs for the SpaceX microlaunch -> medium heavy path.

1,400 pounds to LEO, $6 million (Falcon I) launching in May or later
                    10,000 pounds to LEO, $12 million (Falcon V) launching in late 2005
                    20,000 pounds to LEO or 10,000 pounds to GTO, $20 million (Falcon V+) launching some after that.

The Falcons use the same basic setup as the Saturn V. Kerosene and liquid oxygen. The Falcon V has 5 engines on the first stage, just like Saturn V did. The Falcon V will have "engine out" capability -- i.e., it can still fly with 3 engines out, just like Saturn V.

The Falcon V will be man-rated, meaning that it could be repurposed for Space Station crewing and supply, similar to the Soyuz.

The first two steps on this upgrade path already have customers, because of the such low costs.
                    Last edited by DanS; April 6, 2004, 12:56.

Comment

In December, SpaceX rolled the Falcon I into Washington, DC on a tractor trailor for a demo. They rolled that sucker all the way from Los Angeles in 4 days, all on public highways.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        In December, SpaceX rolled the Falcon I into Washington, DC on a tractor trailor for a demo.
                        The Secret Service let a missile be dragged into D.C.?!?
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

How tall is an Ariane V ?
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by rev
                            Hell yeah!
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

How tall is an Ariane V ?
                              About half as tall as the Saturn V. Weighs about 1/4 of the Saturn V.

Comment

Working...
                              X