South Dakota is introducing a bill that will ban abortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Dakota is introducing a bill that will ban abortion

South Dakota legislators are taking a stand on the issue of abortion, a stand that outlaws most abortions within the state. Last month they introduced a bill that passed the House 54 to 15 and the Senate 18 to 15. Governor Mike Rounds had pledged to sign the bill into law after some minor changes (mostly just technical wording) were to be made.

After those changes were suggested, the bill was sent back to the House where it was passed 52 to 16. When it arrived at the Senate, the bill was rejected, effectively stopping it in its tracks.

The Bill

There are various points to the bill, including that the Legislature finds:

... the State of South Dakota has a compelling and paramount interest in the preservation and protection of all human life and finds that the guarantee of due process of law under the South Dakota Bill of Rights applies equally to born and unborn human beings
    ... that the life of a human being begins when the ovum is fertilized by male sperm
    ... abortion procedures impose significant risks to the health and life of the pregnant mother
    ...a pregnant mother, together with the unborn human child, each possess a natural and inalienable right to life under the South Dakota Bill of Rights
    The bill includes no exception for rape or incest victims, but does allow an exception for the life of the mother and for a pregnancy that poses a “serious risk of substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function” to the mother. Doctors who perform abortions that do not meet these exceptions will be charged with a felony.
    This bill is being called the most restrictive anti-abortion measure in the nation.
    "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Comment

Case Closed!
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Re: South Dakota is introducing a bill that will ban abortion

Originally posted by boann

... that the life of a human being begins when the ovum is fertilized by male sperm

... abortion procedures impose significant risks to the health and life of the pregnant mother

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Re: South Dakota is introducing a bill that will ban abortion

Originally posted by boann
              The bill includes no exception for rape or incest victims
              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

This bill is gonna get smacked so hard by the courts that it'll think it is Tina Turner.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

so are you guys happy it didn't pass or happy that something like this was proposed?
                  "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Is this the law that is supposed to test Roe v. Wade?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

States keep passing these laws and they keep getting struck down... when will they frigging learn? Morons...

Comment

Booo

Comment

What percentage of the newborn in South Dakota is the result of incest, btw?
                          The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

You know, the lack of the exception for incest would be fine in WV

Comment

Now everything is getting better!

Comment

Working...
                              X