Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you paid attention to how Colorado has played lately? They both stink, but they'll rise for the playoffs. Turco is a better goalie than either Salo or Aebischer. Other than that, the series is even.

I think Tampa will run out of steam, but that's pretty uncertain.

Leafs over Ottawa is the easiest pick other than Detroit to smoke Nashville. The Leafs beat them in the season series and have always dominated (with a capital D) them in the playoffs.

Theodore might be the difference between Boston and Montreal, if Raycroft wasn't playing so brilliantly this year.

Jersey have problems but they do have a better goalie - so that one might conceivably go the other way.

Vancouver have too much class for Calgary (as do half the teams in the East).

Who really cares about the Blues and the Sharks?
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
      Put 'em up Asher. If only to give yourself bragging rights when round 2 rolls around.
      I don't do predictions.

Though I know I will be amused at how everyone underestimated the Flames.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No one underestimates the Flames. Apart from Iginla and the coaching, they pretty much suck.

Joncha - you might want to revise your Toronto Ottawa prediction given how badly the Leafs ****ed up the Sens last night.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          No one underestimates the Flames. Apart from Iginla and the coaching, they pretty much suck.
          and Kiprusoff.

The Flames have one of the lowest (if not the lowest?) GAA in the league, and also have the league's top scorer...put them together with a coach that has had a huge positive impact on a team that only continues to improve, and I think it's pretty deadly.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Joncha - you might want to revise your Toronto Ottawa prediction given how badly the Leafs ****ed up the Sens last night.
            The drubbing just gave Ottawa more of an incentive to get their revenge in the playoffs. But, as usual, they will fall short.

And, yes, the flames suck.
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I don't do predictions.

Though I know I will be amused at how everyone underestimated the Flames.
              And Asher weighs in on the discussion.
              Attached Files
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

At least the Flames aren't a low-life team that sinks to sucker punches from behind.

Comment

If Vancouver makes the finals, I swear to all that is holy, I'll eat a haggis.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I can dream, can't I? Besides, they're going in to the playoffs riding a winning streak for a change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

and Kiprusoff.

The Flames have one of the lowest (if not the lowest?) GAA in the league, and also have the league's top scorer...put them together with a coach that has had a huge positive impact on a team that only continues to improve, and I think it's pretty deadly.
                      And I thought you were deluded about the Mac OS.....

The Flames have Iginla, a good coach and a goalie who has yet to prove himself. Other than that they are manned by second string no-talents who work hard. They don't have the extra punch that a playoff team needs from experienced playoff veterans or the maturity from the same.

So let's say the Flames have two excellent players.

Let's compare that with say, the Leafs (who I don't think will win the Cup).

The Leafs have an experienced Cup winning goaltender who is probably second only to Brodeur in the entire league.

They have the league's top offensive defence duo in points terms in Leetch and McCabe.

To back them up they can pick from Klee, Johansson, Marchment, Kaberle and Berg.

Up front they have Sundin, Mogilny, Nieuwendyk, Francis, and Roberts along with a cast of very experienced NHLers like Fitzgerald, Tucker and Renberg.

The Flames have only one player who is in this class and that is Iginla.

But what you should really be afraid of is Vancouver's roster. They are simply a better team. You are lucky they don't have Bertuzzi.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                        At least the Flames aren't a low-life team that sinks to sucker punches from behind.
                        No - they are a low life team that resorts to the trap and fighting because they aren't very skilled.

They are the NHL's version of a typical Scottish second division side (although the Flames have more teeth between them).
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I'm not the one that's deluded. You say Kiprusoff has yet to prove himself...

The man is getting less than half of the average NHL goaltender salary, he's been brutally consistent all year -- even when he missed 16 straight games due to an injury. In fact, he was even BETTER after he came back.

Just because he's "only" been in the Playoffs twice before doesn't mean he's not the best goalie in the league right now, even in the Playoffs.

You did know that Kiprusoff just set a new NHL record for lowest goals against average, right? And you do know that Kiprusoff leads the league in lowest GAA (obviously) and save percentage?

And it's not a small difference. Kiprusoff (#1)'s GAA was a record 1.69, while Belfour(#12) was 2.13 and Brodeur (#4) was 2.03.

All of this talk about Belfour and Brodeur being so damn good, not to mention how "awesome" their teams defenses are is bull****, if the "crappy" Calgary Flames defense with their "unproven" goalie get far less goals scored on them. Hell, last year in the Playoffs Belfour had a high 2.71 GAA. Like hell he's one of the best...

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                            No - they are a low life team that resorts to the trap and fighting because they aren't very skilled.
                            The trap? The Flames?

Christ, how many games have you watched of theirs this year? 1, 2?

They also don't fight very much, maybe one or two per game max...The Sutter/Oliwa "incident" was a fluke.

Comment

• My Predictions:

EAST: ROUND ONE

Tampa Bay(1) vs. Islanders(8) - Tampa in 4
                              Boston(2) vs Montreal(7) - Boston in 7
                              Philadelphia(3) vs. New Jersey(6) - New Jersey in 5
                              Toronto(4) vs. Ottawa(5) - Toronto in 7

WEST: ROUND ONE

Detroit(1) vs. Nashville(8) - Detroit in 4
                              San Jose(2) vs. St. Louis(7) - San Jose in 7
                              Vancouver(3) vs. Calgary(6) - Vancouver in 5
                              Colorado(4) vs. Dallas(5) - Dallas in 7

EAST: ROUND TWO

Tampa Bay(1) vs. New Jersey(6) - Tampa in 6
                              Boston(2) vs Toronto(4) - Toronto in 6

WEST: ROUND TWO

Detroit(1) vs. Dallas(5) - Detroit in 6
                              San Jose(2) vs. Vancouver(3) - Vancouver in 7

EAST: ROUND THREE

Tampa Bay(1) vs. Toronto(4) - Toronto in 6

WEST: ROUND THREE

Detroit(1) vs. Vancouver(3) - Vancouver in 7

FINALS
                              Vancouver(3) vs. Toronto(4) - Vancouver in 7

I'm going with my heart on Vancouver's last two matchups - my head tells me Detroit over Toronto in 6.

Comment

• Asher, you are the only one who doesn't think the Flames will get smoked.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X