This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    You place WAY too much emphasis on playoff experience.
    So do NHL coaches. For good reason. Ottawa has had a series of excellent teams that have achieved in the regular season but have proved wanting in the playoffs. You show me the last Stanley Cup winning team that didn't have veteran experience (if you can find one), and I'll show you five more that did.

Last year: The Devils - Brodeur, Nieuwendyk, Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski.
    2002 - Detroit - too many to name
    2001 - Colorado - Bourque, Roy, Sakic, Foote, Blake
    2000 - Devils - same as above but - Nieuwendyk and + Mogilny
    1999 - Dallas - Belfour, Hull, Nieuwendyk, Muller, Modano, etc.

All that means is they're old.
    Would you rather have Kiprusoff or Brodeur? Veteran experience matters - the last five cup winners have had it in spades.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

ok, I've now officially changed my avatar.

Here's to not choking down the stretch!
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

No Bertuzzi, no Cup.
        No Bertuzzi, no Cup.
        No Bertuzzi, no Cup.
        No Bertuzzi, no Cup.
        No Bertuzzi, no Cup.
        No Bertuzzi, no Cup.
        No Bertuzzi, no Cup.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

So that means they'll cancel it this year? I don't recall a Bertuzzi on any other team...
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

You couldn't win with Cloutier anyway, that ****er couldn't stop a balloon.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Good point. I concede, sir, to your formidable argument.

Comment

ok, I've now officially changed my avatar.

Nice avatar, If I do say so .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Just to put the boot in, let's look at the last 20 or so Conn Smythe trophy winners.

2003 Jean-Sebastien Giguere - Anaheim Mighty Ducks
                  2002 Nicklas Lidstrom - Detroit Red Wings
                  2001 Patrick Roy - Colorado Avalanche
                  2000 Scott Stevens New Jersey Devils
                  1999 Joe Nieuwendyk Dallas Stars
                  1998 Steve Yzerman Detroit Red Wings
                  1997 Mike Vernon Detroit Red Wings
                  1996 Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche
                  1995 Claude Lemieux New Jersey Devils
                  1994 Brian Leetch New York Rangers
                  1993 Patrick Roy Montreal Canadiens
                  1992 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins
                  1991 Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins
                  1990 Bill Ranford Edmonton Oilers
                  1989 Al MacInnis Calgary Flames
                  1988 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers
                  1987 Ron Hextall* Philadelphia Flyers
                  1986 Patrick Roy Montreal Canadiens
                  1985 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers
                  1984 Mark Messier Edmonton Oilers

Apart from the obvious phenoms of Messier, Gretzky, and Roy (two of whom had been to the final before) the only players who weren't experienced playoff veterans when they won it were Sakic in 1996 and Giguere in 2003 (who lost). (MacInnis had already lost in a final before he won his)

So that's two players (Roy and Sakic) who weren't really experienced playoff veterans who won playoff MVP in the last 20 years. That seems a pretty conclusive statistic to me.
                  Last edited by Agathon; April 3, 2004, 19:24.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

It is, IMH (and completely unbaised) O, the coolest logo in the history of professional sports.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                      Good point. I concede, sir, to your formidable argument.
                      It's not an argument, it's just stating the blindingly obvious.

Another obvious fact: if Belfour is injured and Trevor Kidd is in goal, the Leafs cannot win - it is a mathematical certainty.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Can't argue with the facts. Cloutier is teh sux.

Comment

So do you think that veteran experience is required to win a cup?
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

if Belfour is injured and Trevor Kidd is in goal, the Leafs cannot win - it is a mathematical certainty.

Well that has nothing to do with veteran leadership, it has to do with the fact that Kidd sucks .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              if Belfour is injured and Trevor Kidd is in goal, the Leafs cannot win - it is a mathematical certainty.

Well that has nothing to do with veteran leadership, it has to do with the fact that Kidd sucks .
                              Of course, having a crap goalie will doom a team to failure.

What's your view on the veteran thing. I mean the last two winning Devils teams have been poster boys for that.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

What's your view on the veteran thing.

Well it definetly helps. It's not exclusive though. Every once in a while a team without experience will make it through (like Anaheim last year). More often than not, the team with the experience in the playoffs will go far.

Though, I think there is a certain 'point' (which I can't really place) where the veteran leadership of teams equal out. For example, even though the Devils may have more playoff experience (in terms of games) than Colorado, I don't think that means the Devils will necessarily go farther. Basically, I think there is an 'experience floor'.

Comment

Working...
                                X