No announcement yet.

Wal-Mart Online Music Store -- WMA, $0.88 for every song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sava takes pleasure in the execution of other people.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

wait, doesn't buying it as a download cut out the poor chinese slaves that are making the cds you no longer need to purchase?

Comment

But it helps Wal-Mart.
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Hmmm, between a rock and a hard place....

88cents
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'd like to know what the exact quality is of each track but I can't be bothered looking.
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

This looks to be promising, because it's cheaper and less restrictive than the other services I have seen so far.

Indeed... WMA is used my most MP3 players, unless Apple's system.

From the website:

What file format do Music Downloads come in?
              Music Downloads from Walmart.com are 128-bit WMA files. The WMA format allows record companies to protect their music by using Digital Rights Management (DRM) encryption. This means that music downloads are legal, safe, and easy to use. The 128-bit WMA files also offer superior sound quality.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Wal-Mart and Microsoft. A match made in ...
                What?

Comment

I am a moral relativist. I don't believe in copyright laws.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

That's nice, but your government does.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

That's nice, but your government does.
                      Kazaa downloads are legal in Canada.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The files are 128Kbps WMA.

64 Kbps to 80 Kbps WMA reportedly sounds identical to CD quality to most users in double-blind tests.

A general rule of thumb is take the MP3 bitrate, halve it, and that's the equivalent WMA bitrate.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                          wait, doesn't buying it as a download cut out the poor chinese slaves that are making the cds you no longer need to purchase?
                          no, the ChiComs make the blank cds as well(in an aside I walked into microcenter to pick up a new cd-read write drive, every single one was made in China, though the one I bought had it so well hidden that we didn't see it until we got the plastic off the side.) Don't worry about chinese slaves they are covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                            Kazaa downloads are legal in Canada.
                            Evil Canacoms!

Comment

Kazaa downloads are legal, but uploads are not.

The Canadian courts evidently don't see that you can't download without someone uploading, and the only way you can download is if somebody else uploads, so legalizing downloading while keeping uploading illegal is a trivial semantic argument and a waste of everyone's time.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

yea they don't tend to go after leaches, just providers.

Comment

Working...
                                X