No announcement yet.

dont worry, it's YAOMGWBE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And people wonder why Poly gets so slow under load, it's Markos' screwing around with stuff he shouldn't.

How much more server load does generating and placing these ads add?

Is this why you broke Search/My Threads and still haven't fixed them?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Just out of interest, how many other personal little vendettas are planned through ad coding?
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• If DanQ had a sense of humour, he'd add a Nair ad to MarkG's just for a sense of balance to The Force.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
          And people wonder why Poly gets so slow under load, it's Markos' screwing around with stuff he shouldn't.
          lol

How much more server load does generating and placing these ads add?
          what server load does an if require?
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
            Markos, can you please make it so that every one of Asher's posts carries an ad for Apple's ipod?

EDIT: maybe I should have read the whole thread before attaching this pic.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by alva; March 21, 2004, 06:47.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
              Just out of interest, how many other personal little vendettas are planned through ad coding?
              i'm open to offers

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG
                what server load does an if require?
                It depends, it can make a huge difference on the massive-pipelined P4 you chose to host the site on.

If it mis-predicts the result of that if, 20 cycles are wasted each time.

Children should not play with toys they do not understand.

Plus I gather there's much more than an if -- do you think random numbers are generated free-of-cost on a computer?

Comment

• if you noticed, the ads dont show up randomly any more

Comment

• So how is the length of the post calculated for the condition in the if?

Comment

• **** it. Forget it.

It's been an interesting experience, posting for five years on a forum where the owner's attitude to the majority of his regulars could be best summed up by the words "borderline contempt". If the presence of the OT is such a chore, just shut it down.

I think I'll be voting with my feet anyway.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• "Borderline contempt" would be generous in some cases, he's downright hostile to me most of the time. Whenever a mod says "take it up with the owners", it's a lost cause since DanQ is MarkG's b*tch and MarkG is a b*tch.

Comment

So how is the length of the post calculated for the condition in the if?
                          php.net/str_word_count

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG
                            php.net/str_word_count

So you think this is being anywhere close to free, Mark?

You've got a lot to learn about making a scalable site, Mark. You add lots of useless **** as cheap hacks without thinking through the implementation, then things f*ck up (Search/My Threads), generally act weird (UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU), or downright become unresponsive.

Another blatant example: What's with the post stats of A, D, HP, etc? Useless overhead on the server.

the word_count function is implemented something like this:
                            PHP Code:
                            <?php
                            function countwords($text){

$ls=0;//was it a whitespace?

$cc33=0;//counter

for($i=0;$i<strlen($text);$i++){

$spstat=false//is it a number or a letter?

$ot=ord($text[$i]);
                                           if( ((
                            $ot>=48) && ($ot<=57)) ||  (($ot>=97) && ($ot<=122)) || (($ot>=65) && ($ot<=90)) || ($ot==170) ||
                                           ((
                            $ot>=192) && ($ot<=214)) || (($ot>=216) && ($ot<=246)) || (($ot>=248) && ($ot<=254))  )$spstat=true;
                                           if((
                            $ls==0)&&($spstat)){

$ls=1;

$cc33++;
                                           }
                                           if(!
                            $spstat)$ls=0;
                                   }
                                   return 
                            $cc33;
                            }

?>
                            Does that look like "an if" to you?

Comment

• Lazarus, you know you cant leave

i mean, how many posts of yours are over 150 words?

Comment

So you think this is being anywhere close to free, Mark?
                                i know the load of the server hasnt changed

You've got a lot to learn about making a scalable site, Mark.
                                i know, learning is part of why i continue to do apolyton despite it's financial status

Another blatant example: What's with the post stats of A, D, HP, etc? Useless overhead on the server.
                                the user profile page is hardly an often called page

Comment

Working...
                                X