Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do get out more, Drake.

My problem is that I go out too much. I'm ****ing knackered...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• What Q^3 did was great. It shows everyone -- incase they didn't know -- just how biased some Macheads are. They see things that aren't there, constantly.

They agreed "KDE" was better because it was the position of Q^3, a well-known rational moderate, and because Agathon himself has praised KDE products before, so it wasn't much of a stretch.

Rank KDE as first as an attempt to show you're unbiased, rank MacOS second, then put Windows in last.

I suspected as such from the get-go, hence why I said I couldn't tell them apart.

This should help put to rest people's assertions that I'm an MS apologist, and rather put the problem on the Mac-end of the spectrum for being hopelessly biased trolls.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• BTW, thanks for picking the most random characters possible for your example. It's a ***** finding some of these...

edit: And which font size did you use?
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• It was completely random.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Jesus, these characters aren't even all available in the same fonts. Number one and three seem to be causing the most problems...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Is a troll considered a success based on how long the respondants take to make a trivial point?

Oh yeah, and this is clearly a Mac limitation of fonts if you can't use the same font for all that.

Comment

• Alright, this is the best I could do. Changed the nikuzuki inside the mon in character one to a hi in order to get a kanji that would display in the same font as the others. Also omitted the last character, as I can't for the life of me figure out which radical will allow me to access the character. Font is also slightly different, but it's the closest I could find that would also display most of the characters.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Drake Tungsten; March 16, 2004, 06:04.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Now for a real font (on some of the characters, at least)...
                  Attached Files
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Is a troll considered a success based on how long the respondants take to make a trivial point?

Hey, you asked me to post some pics and I said I would. Excuse me for trying to keep my word; I guess I won't bother next time.

Oh yeah, and this is clearly a Mac limitation of fonts if you can't use the same font for all that.

The problem is that most of the characters you typed are traditional Chinese ones, which aren't exhaustively covered by the Japanese fonts I have on my computer. The only way to get them all would be to install all the traditional Chinese fonts I didn't bother with before, but I can't be arsed to do that.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• whenever i work on a mac, i ssh into my desktop and sftp everything i need there.

it's great. pretty much all it means that i don't bother with saving my files on the lab computers (which is why i never had asher's 'problem' with the finder's directory display structure), because whether i'm in windows or in linux, i have access to all of my files by remotely logging into my computer. this actually saves me from having my files deleted by some numbnuts, closed out because of space issues, and so on. it's all on my computer, accessible from any computer in the world (so long as my comp is on).

until recently, i could only do this while my computer was in linux, but i've found a free openssh daemon for windows: http://lexa.mckenna.edu/sshwindows/
                      which works beautifully.

though it was a complete ***** to get it to listen to port 2202 instead of 22, and to get kerio personal firewall AND windows firewall sp2 to allow it. almost as frustrating as iptables, though that's because i can't be bothered to learn all of the vagaries in iptables' commands.
                      B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                        still debating this?

you know what was funny?

all four of the examples that i posted (winxp, macos, kde, and gnome), in case you hadn't noticed, were exactly identical.

i made them all in kde 3.2.1 with abiword 2.0.5.

and yet kde still, somehow, looked better than "mac" kde, as some said, or better than "win" kde...
                        Well -I followed your labelling and they looked different to me.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                          you know what was funny?

all four of the examples that i posted (winxp, macos, kde, and gnome), in case you hadn't noticed, were exactly identical.

Well, I guess I preferred the last one because it looked darker (more contrasted) on my laptop screen.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                            On-topic. Some changes.
                            Wow, that's a cool wallpaper you got there.
                            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

• I agree with you Spiff. The last one clearly looked better. If I was a real Mac fanatic I wouldn't have picked KDE anyway.

More to the point, this is yet another reason to install KDE on my machine.

Back to Asher's original article.

It is clearly out of date since font smoothing works all the way down to 4 point in Panther.
                              Attached Files
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• honestly, i can't see how the last one would look better. it was the same image as the first two, merely duplicated.

if you're going to install kde on your mac, might i suggest going all the way and using gentoo/ppc?
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X