No announcement yet.

Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drake and Agathon, here's a quiz so you can prove you actually can order them like that.

Identify which is from which.
    Attached Files
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• ah, excellent. i got on a friend's computer (he uses gnome rather than KDE) and they also have sub-pixel hinting for font-smoothing.

he didn't have arial, but he did have times new roman, so.

this is in gnome 2.6/openoffice 1.1
      Attached Files
      B♭3

Comment

• Don't Gnome and KDE both use XFT?

And don't individual applications in Linux still need to be compiled to support font AA? (ie, why there's still mozilla-firefox-gtk2-xft builds...)
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
          Identify which is from which.
          1. Windows
          2. KDE
          3. Mac
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• you mean xfs (xfontserver)?
            yes and no. you can disable it. i've disabled it on mine, i don't know what he's done.

some apps have to have it compiled in. i'm on gentoo, so i've added it to the default use flags, so. he's on gentoo too, so i dunno... i don't really pay much attention to it anymore, since i've got a stable system and aren't doing as much compiling ('cept for new kernels).
            B♭3

Comment

• To be honest, I can't tell them apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                you mean xfs (xfontserver)?
                yes and no. you can disable it. i've disabled it on mine, i don't know what he's done.

some apps have to have it compiled in. i'm on gentoo, so i've added it to the default use flags, so. he's on gentoo too, so i dunno... i don't really pay much attention to it anymore, since i've got a stable system and aren't doing as much compiling ('cept for new kernels).
                No, I'm referring to XFT: http://www.scottbolander.com/mozilla-xft.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                  To be honest, I can't tell them apart.
                  So, did you ask the question without knowing the answer?
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• On topic peoples .

Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                      So, did you ask the question without knowing the answer?
                      I know the answer, I made the image from Q^3's.

Comment

• xft? it's not compiled into my kde, isn't in the ebuilds, and i didn't use it as a use flag. it also doesn't show up in my world file, so i'd guess not, unless it's part of the basic kde package.

nice, grr. is that one desktop over two monitors? if it is, i'm envious.
                        B♭3

Comment

• aha. found xft, it's part of xfree. reading up on it, kde and gnome don't have to use it, but can.
                          B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            xft? it's not compiled into my kde, isn't in the ebuilds, and i didn't use it as a use flag. it also doesn't show up in my world file, so i'd guess not, unless it's part of the basic kde package.

nice, grr. is that one desktop over two monitors? if it is, i'm envious.
                            Yep, that is one dual monitor desktop, 2560x1024 all the way.

Anyway, here is my lappie's desktop:
                            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

• purdy.

as shown earlier, mine is indistinguishable from windows classic, save for the start menu, where you can first see the difference.
                              B♭3

Comment

• On-topic. Some changes.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X