• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists Accuse White House of Distorting Facts

February 18, 2004
    Scientists Accuse White House of Distorting Facts
    By JAMES GLANZ

he Bush administration has deliberately and systematically distorted scientific fact in the service of policy goals on the environment, health, biomedical research and nuclear weaponry at home and abroad, a group of about 60 influential scientists, including 20 Nobel laureates, said in a statement issued today.

The sweeping charges were later discussed in a conference call with some of the scientists that was organized by the Union of Concerned Scientists, an independent organization that focuses on technical issues and has often taken stands at odds with administration policy. The organization also issued a 37-page report today that it said detailed the accusations.

Together, the two documents accuse the administration of repeatedly censoring and suppressing reports by its own scientists, stacking advisory committees with unqualified political appointees, disbanding government panels that provide unwanted advice, and refusing to seek any independent scientific expertise in some cases.

"Other administrations have, on occasion, engaged in such practices, but not so systematically nor on so wide a front," the statement from the scientists said, adding that they believed the administration had "misrepresented scientific knowledge and misled the public about the implications of its policies."

The White House had no immediate comment on the statements.

Dr. Kurt Gottfried, an emeritus professor of physics at Cornell University who signed the statement and spoke in the conference call, said the administration had "engaged in practices that are in conflict with the spirit of science and the scientific method." Dr. Gottfried asserted that what he called "the cavalier attitude toward science" could place at risk the basis for the nation's long-term prosperity, health and military prowess.

The scientists denied that they had political motives in releasing the documents as the 2004 presidential race began to take clear shape, a day after Senator John Kerry won the Wisconsin Democratic primary and solidified his position as President Bush's likely opponent in the fall. The organization's report, Dr. Gottfried said, had taken a year to prepare — much longer than originally planned — and had been released as soon as it was ready.

"I don't see it as a partisan issue at all," said Russell Train, who served as administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency under Presidents Richard M. Nixon and Gerald R. Ford, and who spoke in the conference call in support of the statement. "If it becomes that way I think it's because the White House chooses to make it a partisan issue," Mr. Train said.
    from http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/18/sc...D-RESE.html?hp

lying, misrepresentation of facts, manipulation... putting unqualified political appointees on advisery boards... censoring opposition... yup, sounds like the Bush admin

What really scares me is the mention of nuclear weaponry. Yes, the environment, health, and bio-medical fields are all important... but to distort information about nuclear weapons is sick and twisted beyond belief. It's like we have sadists in the White House.

Anyone know any of the specifics that these scientists are talking about?

I first heard alarm bells when environmentally unfriendly political appointee Christine Todd-Whitman of the EPA quit because of such practices by the Bush admin. I mean, if someone like Whitman can't even stand what the admin is doing, they must be doing something really horrible.

more to follow
    To us, it is the BEAST.

I actually had a similar reaction to Whitman's resignation. Then again, for all I know she could have resigned for some personal reason (I didn't actually read up on it or anything).

I'm not sure that calling Whitman "environmentally unfriendly" is fair, by the way. Are you basing that on the facts that she is a Republican and former governor of NJ, or on her record in office?

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

or on her record in office?
      this one...
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Why should I believe these scientists? How do I know they are not lying about the Bush admin?
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Yes Sava,
          Lets get to the specifics, and the timing of this so called release after the Wisconsin primary and Dean withdrawing was simple a coinsidence, r...........i...............g..................... .h.........................t.
          What did Bush do, decide to cut funding for examining mold growing on cheese to piss these guys off.
          Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

diplomat, why should you believe the bush admin?
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

for that matter why should we believe anybody..........................
              Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                Why should I believe these scientists? How do I know they are not lying about the Bush admin?
                Because their conclusions are peer reviewed.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

uhmmm because they are really really really smart...

defiant: yes, let's believe the bush admin over the word of 60 scientists... 10 NOBEL LAUREATES...

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                    diplomat, why should you believe the bush admin?
                    Show me proof that the Bush admin distorted scientific facts for political reasons, and I'll believe the scientists.

But unlike Sava and the Left, I am not going to automatically assume that Bush is lying just cause somebody says so.
                    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

But unlike Sava and the Left, I am not going to automatically assume that Bush is lying just cause somebody says so.
                      wow your really really live in a strange little world...

this isn't just SOMEONE... it's probably 60 of the smartest people in the country. 10... yes 10 NOBEL LAUREATES.

Maybe if I repeat that enough, you will comprehend.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

defiant: yes, let's believe the bush admin over the word of 60 scientists... 10 NOBEL LAUREATES...

Just because they are scientists, does not mean that they can't lie. Scientists are people too, with political biases like everyone else!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

Yes, because they are NOBEL LAUREATES, they have no political views , lets get to the specifics and then see what other scientists have to say about their claims, fair and balanced baby, you know the term.

Comment

Says 20 not 10...

Comment

What? Sava make a mistake, so it isn't so, crap makes me worse, I followed his lead.

Comment

Working...
                              X