Apolyton Fantasy Baseball!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*bump*

If I had to pick a fielding stat, it'd be Range Factor. But Yahoo doesn't offer it.
    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Ok, I restructued some of the catagories:

Batting (9):
      Runs
      HR
      RBI
      SB
      BB
      TB
      FPCT (Fielding)
      AVG
      OPS

Pitching (8)
      W
      L
      S
      K
      HLD
      TB Allowed
      ERA
      WHIP
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Berz hasn't signed up and if he does, we'll need one more. We have 8 currently.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

why doesnt pitching have any BBs. And why not eliminate OPS and add strikeouts.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Pitching has WHIP, which does encompase BB's. And people like OPS so much (everyone else's list includes it) to remove it.

Comment

**** EVERYONE ELSE. YOU WILL BOW TO MY WILL. DOWN WITH THE MAJORITY

"Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I tried that last year... it wasn't well recieved .

Comment

Why aren't "hits" included? We had 4 people ask for hits and only 1 who didn't have hits on their list.

Comment

What would they replace? I think TB covers hits and does it better.

Do you want to substitute hits for AVG?

Comment

I like that sig... quite appropo

Why sub? Homers overlaps with TB too so I don't see a problem with some overlaps, especially on the more important categories. If you want pitching to have 1 more category to keep the same "ratio" so to speak, we can add another to the pitching. I'd rather see singles, doubles, triples, and homers and do away with TB. But hits, homers, and TB is fine. I believe the people who wanted hits also wanted homers and TB...

I'd rather have hits than fielding but I don't see a need to do away with either, fielding at least adds a new relevant element to the game we didn't have last year (like holds). Maybe we could add IP just to reward pitchers who go deeper into games and to help deter the reliever strategy. 14 IP minimum still allows people to have 2-3 good starters and a bunch of relievers. Maybe do away with whip and have K's, BB's, and hits allowed. Argh, maybe not, that would create another incentive to have 2-3 starters and load up on quality relievers.

Maybe we should vote on your current settings and see how many people want "hits" added... How about that?

Btw, we had 12 people last year! Where are you folks? Who was here last year who hasn't posted yet?

Comment

If we add hits, we should add one more to pitching. We could replace WHIP with BBs and hits allowed, OR we could add HRs allowed or Complete Games or something.

Up to you guys.

And I concur about all the people not around... hmm, does vlad (the other vlad) post here anymore?

Comment

We could replace WHIP with BBs and hits allowed
                          Yup, but we have to watch out for the reliever strategy. Adding BB's and hits allowed are incentives to keep IP down and limited to the best possible pitchers, maybe 2 top starters with closers and middle relievers to reach the 14 IP minimum. Let's see how the categories break down wrt the reliever strategy (con against the strategy and pro for it):

wins (con)
                          losses (pro)
                          saves (Not Applicable or pro - more relievers, more saves)
                          K's (con)
                          holds (NA or pro - see above)
                          ERA (pro)
                          TB (pro)
                          WHIP (pro)

As you can see the pitching is heavily weighted to the reliever strategy... Replacing whip with BB's and Hits allowed increases the incentive. The best way to eliminate the reliever strategy is to bump up the minimum IP. I think 16 would make it dangerous enough. Didn't we have 15 or 16 last year? There are just too many incentives to keep IP down, how about we bump the minimum up to 16 and add a category weighted to more starts and starters? I know you don't like IP but I think it creates an incentive to pitch and not try to flirt with the minimum by focusing on relievers. Besides, more IP does reflect pitchers who go deeper into games (quality starts)... If you can think of another category that is weighted to more IP to reduce the incentive for the reliever strategy, I'm all ears

My recommendations

Add hits (batting category)
                          Add IP (or another category to induce more starts(ers)
                          Bump the minimum up to 16

Comment

The problem with going higher is, once again, the All Star week.

Ugh.. and I'm still not sold on IPs. Just because you eat up innings doesn't make you a good pitcher. For example, Greg Maddux this year could win 18 games, but won't pitch much after the 6th inning in any start he makes.

Comment

Btw, I'll ask people at another forum I frequent...

Comment

FFZ perhaps?

I PMed Chris and vlad about it. We'd need one more if both joined.

Comment

Working...
                                X