Is China Preparing for War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is China Preparing for War?

I've noticed an increased presence of the military lately. Especially aircraft. Everyday, I see or hear fighter jets flying over the city. In fact, there's one flying by as I type this. It's quite annoying. I can't hear the TV.

Anyway, this has been going on for over a week. Do you think something is up?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

What city do you live in?

It may just be China 'showing off' and tring to see what they can get away with.

Comment

They will declare the war on spam
      Blah

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about air activity but I would be concerned if they were building sea transports.

With the US military stretched so thin and the possibility of Kerry being elected, next year might be the time for China to solve the two Chinas problem.

For Taiwan's sake let us pray for the reelection of Bush (or an Edwards miracle).

Comment

Maybe a new base has been activated near where you live. Or it could be an exercise. Or it could be that increased international tension led the Chinese to think that keeping a few fighters airborne all the time will ensure a greater survival rate if they are hit with a preemptive strike. Or it could be to calm the citizens, by showing that the defense is active and alert. Who knows.

Do they test air-raid sirens in Chinese cities?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
            I wouldn't worry too much about air activity but I would be concerned if they were building sea transports.

With the US military stretched so thin and the possibility of Kerry being elected, next year might be the time for China to solve the two Chinas problem.

For Taiwan's sake let us pray for the reelection of Bush (or an Edwards miracle).
            Not even Bush is crazy enough to attack China if they attack Taiwan
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Not even Bush is crazy enough to attack China if they attack Taiwan
              Do you think any of the past presidents would have done so? Sincerely curious.

Comment

No.

Comment

I do. Although I think the chance of a US intervention is lessening with time. It would be a terrible shame to see Taiwan on the edge of real democracy to fall under the communit yoke.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

We wouldn't invade China, but you gan bet we would shink that fleet of floating junk they call a Navy.

It isn't really a question, if China invades Tiawan we WILL respond.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Where are you, DaShi.

China's not communist anyway. They say they are but in reality they are not. Who knows if China absorbs Taiwan, they will get infected with the democraziation virus from Taiwan along with Hong Kong.
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                        We wouldn't invade China, but you gan bet we would shink that fleet of floating junk they call a Navy.

It isn't really a question, if China invades Tiawan we WILL respond.

"Naughty China!!! :nono" is about all we would even dare do

Comment

America will not respond if China attacks Taiwan.
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Wong Way got lost again maybe?
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

From a cost benefit point of view China would have very little to gain from launching an invasion. The economy is doing nicely, foreign investments is pouring in, there is a growing middle class. If the war is lost the communist leadership would be in serious trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X