No announcement yet.

Life is meaningless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dissident did not ask "does your life have meaning"-there the answer can be yes or no. He asked "does LIFE have meaning"...that is a different question-it seeks some meaning seperate from any one life that applies universally (42). And the answer is that LIFE does not have meaning.

Now, as for your answer to Monoliths question:

That which is meaningful is something that has meaning-that is not the answer to what IS meaning."

LALALALALANCER'S last post in this thread, which has lost all meaning to me.

LALALALALA
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Originally posted by yavoon
      I hope my life isnt meaningless! that would be depressing!
      WHy? What if the meaning of life is death and suffering and pain?

If LIFE is meaningless, you get to decide what you do with your own.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• People are confusing meaning with purpose. There is no purpose for our being here, for the human race to exist. Meaning is a human construct, to which we assign our own values. Therefore your life can have as much or as little meaning as you desire, as well as other's lives.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap

WHy? What if the meaning of life is death and suffering and pain?
          that would also be depressing!

Comment

• "That which is meaningful is something that has meaning-that is not the answer to what IS meaning."

I asked - what is meaning - because I want to know what we are describing when we say a "meaningful life".

So far, no one has actually told me what either is, in precise terms.

I went to dictionary.com and looked it up. Some of the more relevant definitions:

1. An interpreted goal, intent, or end
            2. Inner significance

This seems to me to be more of a question of whether or not you believe in fate and predestination. Everyone has inner significance. My life has meaning for several reasions: my imagination, my passion for certain aspects of life, etc. Those are all part of my inner significance. And because I give my life a goal, something that I'm working towards, I would say that I give my life meaning. Therefore mine is not a meaningless life.
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

• Life isn't meaningless, just think, Billions of years of movement & time in the universe all culminating in a thread on Apolyton about the meaning of life. That has to mean something.

Comment

• Nope.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• As opposed to sitting in the corner moaning and whinging.

But that IS the ..aaaaarhhh....never mind
                  -
                  Life isn't meaningless, just think, Billions of years of movement & time in the universe all culminating in a thread on Apolyton about the meaning of life. That has to mean something.

Nope.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                  X